1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bleeding brakes after pad change, Please help

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by theblack, May 28, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I recently got fed up with TASS and their nonsensical reasons so decided to take care of my beauty myself from now on..
    (I will only visit them to maintain the warranty obligation that's all).

I bought a pair of Magentti marelli pads (good they are) and got it fitted from a trusted mechanic .
    I noticed that while pulling out the old pads they did drain a few ML of brake fluid from the pipes behind the calipers.
    After they fitted the new ones i could feel that the play has "marginally increased"..
    I didn't get the bleeding done because I thought I might need extra brake fluid to top it up(but didn't have it at that time).

Now the issue,
    I feel that the brake lever play has increased, and when i pump the brakes a few times i can slowly feel the lever hardening and turn into a log of wood.
    Once it becomes so, there is NO BRAKING at all . I should leave it for a few secs and then its all fine..
    (I understand that in modern day braking system this happens, But i dont remember feeling this earlier...).
    Secondly I tested another punto and didn't feel this hardening of lever at all...

Any suggestions of what needs to be done now?
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Pedal does harden like wood if pumped 3-4 times very quickly.
    Let the brakes bed-in properly before doing anything.
    Reach 80km/hr and brake to 20km/hr like you do in emergency situation around 10 times on a empty road, also keep a watch on brake fade due to boiling of brake fluid (Stop if you feel you are loosing braking). After 10th time run the car for atleast 10 km to cool down brakes. Don't panic if you see smoke from brakes or someone tells you that your brake disc is glowing red and have caught fire
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    can you please suggest anything more subtle :eek:
    I somehow am not confident especially when you have warned me about ",
  4. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Don't count me on this,but my trusted mechanic told that you shouldn't be bleeding clutch, brakes unnecessarily. Reason being something like dust getting inside the booster cylinder or something. Don't remember the exact stuff he told me though.

Also since these pads are new allow them to bed in and see how they act.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Ok let me wait and see
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    More subtle way is to brake like you normally do. Would take approx 400 Kms to bedin completely.
  7. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Black
    How much these brake shoes cost you? Where did you get them?

Can you post the pics. of new pads and worn out old pads?
  8. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    When I recently got the brake pads changed @ TASS, they didn't do the bleeding. All they did was absorb out the extra fluid from the reservoir using a cotton waste which rises while replacing the pads.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    cost was 2300 for a pair ...

Some observations, I feel its better than fiat's OEM (Galfer) and cheaper by 1K.
    Its much much thicker than Galfer pads and i feel that braking is better.
    if not anything at least for the pad width i think it will at least last 8-9k more than what Galfer can do under any sort of driving conditions..

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Bleeding is necessary if they opened the fluid pipes connected behind the calipers and you saw fluid oozing out of it..
    The reason is quite simple.. If the oil has to come out from these pipes that would mean that air has gone in, so its necessary to bleed..
    Pads can be changed without removing the pipes as well but unfortunately in my case they removed it.. so i'm getting worried now.
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    theblack, are you sure the pads are thicker than new OEM pads. They can't be as if they are they would not fit even after retracting the piston fully.