1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

BLAUPUNKT THA555PNP Car Amplifier

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by Viny, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    mate, not sure if you read my posts... dont go for PowerBass speakers or products its not upto the mark... distortions after the vol levels of 10+... I suggest you go for Pioneer or JBL or as a last option Sony but avoid PB....
  2. Stallion

Stallion

Pune
    Sir, i respect your thoughts on it. but i am pretty happy with what i have installed for my kind of music the setup is good but it lacks punch so i need an amplifier.
  3. airfoil

airfoil Novizio

Secunderabad
    Blaupunkt THA555: Speaker questions and choices

I've gotten my hands on a Blau 555 thanks to TFI member teky. This will go into my GP 90.

I'm sort of gravitating toward the Polk DB6501 components, they seem to offer a mix of value (Rs. 7000) and performance (100 RMS).

I was looking at the Punch compos from Rockford Fosgate, but their price (Rs. 10,000) and their max continuous power of 60 RMS is sort of putting me off.

Since the Blau 555 offers 4x55 RMS for the front and rear channels, I plan to install 6.5" components in both front and rear locations. Which brings me to the questions:

1. Is it advisable to install components in both the front and rear?

2. Does this mess up the 'sound stage' in any way?

3. Will installing the tweeters for the rear speakers as well as the front end up making everything too 'tweety'?

4. Is there a socket in the rear doorpads to allow for tweeter installation in the GP? (I read somewhere that this can be done in a Linea)

5. Given the small footprint of the 555, is there somewhere up front below the dashboard where I can install the amp? And still tweak it now and then?

6. I got a 2.5m cable from teky. I would have preferred to install the amp in the boot - Is there an easy way to source a 5.5m cable pronto?

7. Whats the chosen place for the crossovers that come with the compos?

8. Why are coaxials preferred for the rear? Do they make better fillers or is the additional cost of installing components the reason they are preferred?

9. On damping, I found a store that stocks Scosche sheets. Is this any good and is it worth paying Rs. 550 per square foot?

10. From 8, how many square feet will I need for each of the front and rear doors?

11. From 9, is it necessary to damp the rear doors as well?

I know thats a lot of questions, I'd appreciate help if answering any/all of them. TIA!
  4. airfoil

airfoil Novizio

Secunderabad
    Hey Srikar, Its not very helpful when someone answers a set of questions with 'use the search feature'.

I've read through the thread and have not found specific answers to most of my questions (my post has now been merged with the thread you speak of). And yes, I have used the search option quite a bit.

I'm from Secunderabad.
  5. airfoil
    sorry sir.you could have posted questions and seen if you could get any answers first
    the answers for the questions I know.

1. yes you can install comopnents at the front and and the rear if you can afford.
    it actually gives you a better sound than the coaxials at the rear. but the thing is why spend so much money when most of the time you spend in the front and rarely the rear seats are occupied??

2. this des not interfere with the sound stage. infact the frequencies are more clearer.
    3. i think yes. the sound might get a little too tweety if the front tweeters are too potent in their work.
    4. i dont know.. i have a punto.
    5.cant you get the amp fixed under the front seats??
    on the passenger side. it would be more accessible for you to use them for the fine tuning..
    6.yes. 5.5 metre cables are available.
    you can find a good one from that stunnerz or that reliance auto zone, banjara hills in the reliance digital.
    7.i have no idea where to place the cross overs.
    8. coaxials are used only for the reason that they area cheaper than the compos and have a marginally less sound output quality.
    9. i think 20-25 feet would be enough for all the doors.

550 seems to be a bit on the higherside. try bargaining for 450-475 thats the price for Scosche sheets going around here in hyderabd.
    ther eis also one more installer pavan electricals on the ministers road. he does neat work.
    or there is one more sn car decors in king kothi. he is a jack of all trades but no work is done for that finised perfect job.
    he has all accessories for the punto also i guess
  6. airfoil

airfoil Novizio

Secunderabad
    Bumping this up and hoping for some more answers! Thanks, Srikar.

7. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    1. Is it advisable to install components in both the front and rear?
    ==> Front comp + rear co-axial is advisable, going for both comps depends upon what comps are used whats the user preference.

2. Does this mess up the 'sound stage' in any way?
    => component with brighter tweeters will mess up the highs, some people feel lack of midbass with all components.

3. Will installing the tweeters for the rear speakers as well as the front end up making everything too 'tweety'?
    => Depends upon component in use, some are sharp like infinity kappa, and some are soft.

4. Is there a socket in the rear doorpads to allow for tweeter installation in the GP? (I read somewhere that this can be done in a Linea)
    => Yes it has space to allow small tweeter.

5. Given the small footprint of the 555, is there somewhere up front below the dashboard where I can install the amp? And still tweak it now and then?
    => Better install it under front passenger seat.

6. I got a 2.5m cable from teky. I would have preferred to install the amp in the boot - Is there an easy way to source a 5.5m cable pronto?
    => Not worth while 5.5 m cable will be too long for punto. I still have arround 2-3 feet spare cable after putting the ampli at the rear most part of Linea.

7. Whats the chosen place for the crossovers that come with the compos?
    => Ideally inside the panel, next to mid bass.

8. Why are coaxials preferred for the rear? Do they make better fillers or is the additional cost of installing components the reason they are preferred?
    Both, the cost and the ability to fill in more mid bass in rear and sometime its to balance the front and rear sound stage

9. On damping, I found a store that stocks Scosche sheets. Is this any good and is it worth paying Rs. 550 per square foot?
    =>No idea, have not used scosche sheets :(, Dynamat is good.

10. From 8, how many square feet will I need for each of the front and rear doors?
    => 4 sheets of 18x32" is ample for single layering on 4 doors. Check out for rear door of punto.

11. From 9, is it necessary to damp the rear doors as well?
    => Damping ear door helps if you are putting in sub in rear.

I hope this helps :)
  8. airfoil

airfoil Novizio

Secunderabad
    That was indeed helpful Viny, thanks! The reason I am considering components in the rear is I want to use the amp's capability to power up the rear speakers as well. If I were to use good coaxials in the rear, would powering them up with the amp be a good idea?

Or should I bridge the 4 channels and only power up the front compos. TIA
  9. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    airfoil: If your front components are rated 120-150RWS then use the bridge method. Co-axials would also need to be powered by amps.