1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

black smoke from silencer!!!!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by jayakrishnakola, May 19, 2011.

1. jayadev
    sir for the turbo
    i wait minimum 60-90 sec before i press the throttle. also after i start driving the first few minutes would be 1800rpm max and then it might reach a peak of 2800rpm max after which i change the gear
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    there is no need to wait for 60~90 sec initially. you can drive the car immediately after you start just make sure you don't revv it above 1500rpm. (you save fuel ).
    before you turn on the key ,make a practice to see that heater light turns off.

there is never a need to rev upto 2800rpm in normal driving for a mjd car (wastage of fuel) maximum torque is already delivered at 2000rpm.

2000 rpm is just more than enough for normal driving.

i rarely go above 1800 rpm in my car and it is a beauty (unless i am in kick-ass mood.)

save fuel save our pockets(earth).
  3. jayadev
    sir i wait for all the lights to go off and only then start the engine. that too with the clutch pressed down..
    and forrow the idling rule compulsory. i had read it some where that it is very useful for the turbo.

so religiously follow it
  4. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    turbo stays idle below certain rpms so nothing to worry.
  5. ok thanks so ther need not be idling during the start up but need to follow it only during dut down
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    @Srikar

The routine you are following is absolutely ideal. There is no replacement for idling. And no matter what anyone says, idling the engine is an absolute must.

@jayadev

Only thing i can recommend to you is a read of this thread.
    And, the turbo does not stay "idle" at any rpm.
    Gurjinder.
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  7. gurjinder and jayadev
    sir jee both of you decide and come onto a final decision and please do let me know. is it low rpm driving or religiousidling??
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    it is always not a very good idea to run engine at idling rpm due to many cause (which may affects turbo also)

some how engine idle for present diesal seems debatable.

let us not go oT here.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    OT
    Ignorance is bliss ! :)

Gurjinder.

P.S. I've already put forth my views on this thread. Anyone wishing to know whether idling is good or bad is requested to go through it. The views i've put forth are not by internet reading. But by the experience of owning a turbo-diesel for the last 8 years.