1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Black smoke from linea

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Sudhir1979, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Sudhir1979

Sudhir1979 Timido

Mysore
    Linea 1.3
    My linea has run some 140000km and I am getting black smoke even while driving at 1k to 2k rpm. Checked with the garage and he told it is a engine problem. I am confused below I am getting a good milage of 17-18 in city and 20-22 on highway. What I am confused is I get an error message which says "check glow plugs".... but when I asked the technician he told that the plugs were struck and he will replace it while re-boring the engine. And I had to change the timer belt in the last service but he told me not to do it since it has to be replaced after engine re-boring. I am confused what to do pls advice.
  2. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It's not a engine problem, the injectors have clogged. If you see no issues with Power then Turbo is all doing good.

I would suggest you try Injector cleaner (I use 3M) and do fill in a very good quality fuel(COCO pump if available) and see of that helps, if not then you might want to consider doing EGR clean up...it can take upto a day for that.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Anup
    i have used injector cleaner(ABRO) 3 years back ,i'm due for the cleaning, can you please share some more details about 3M Injector cleaner product,Price ? is it availbale on ebay ?
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    If the mileage is good, then i guess the compression is good. why is the technician talking about a rebore already. There are many other things to check before one gets to rebore stage. As suggested by @Ganges, do a EGR clean up and try filling at Shell ( mainly for purity). Maybe you can go for the premium diesel only to clear up the engine. Lookout for a cut turbo hose, a whistling noise on acceleration, dirty air filter among other things. these do contribute to black smoke.

Abdul
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @jumu small correction 'as suggested by @Anup '
    As you aleady mentioned EGR cleaning,intake manifold cleaning and if any cut/loose turbo hose, should be the first point of diagnose.
    i believe the bore issue should comeup when engine is eating up moe oil / compression rate issue ?
  6. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Ganges, 3M injector clear is available at 3M car care store.
    Just remember to use half the can for 1 full tank(effectively 1 can for 2 fill ups).
    Ganges likes this.
  7. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Anup : is there any specific interval to clean the injectors? How exactly to find it is clogged? Any other symptoms apart from black smoke?
  8. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nope and the only way you can every find if you have clogged injector is you will feel your car's struggling to deliver power and it will max out soon as fuel is not pored in through the clogged injector.
    3M recommends use the cleaner once every 2,000 kms... honestly getting a decent fuel in this Country has become next to impossible.
    The 3M advisor had introduced me to a BMW X5 owner who's been using the Injector cleaner very frequently. Don't expect a drastic increase in FE, infact it might even go down a bit but then you can notice the difference.
  9. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Ok thanks for the info. Symptoms of clogged injectors and clogged egr looks similar. Loss in power, black smoke etc.
  10. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT