1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Black or bluish smoke from exhaust and dipstick

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by AshithK, Sep 2, 2014.

1. saugatchandra

saugatchandra Novizio

Navi Mumbai
    Hi!!
    Even in case there was excessive engine oil filling. the dip stick had almost double the level of oil. i have got the excess oil removed, but there is still .some black smoke from the exhaust. Can you explain in a little details why the car would not go beyond 80 kmph with a little excess engine oil.

i shall try and get the MAF sensor checked and then i am planning to get the EGR, Intake Manifold and intercooler cleaned. In my case the intake system has never been cleaned before, hence i am considering to give it a shot.

Request people how have faced similar problems to give their solution.

Thanks,
    Saugat.
  2. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Turbo repair is a very minute job and should be given to the company manufacturing turbo as in my case it was given to company supplying turbo to Fiat (under EW) in 2011 . Its never gve me problems since then and moreover I strictly maintain the stop and start timing.
  3. Anurag Sehgal

Anurag Sehgal Timido

Jalandhar
    Linea 1.3
    Hey varin11, thanks for responding.

Thankfully, it was not the turbo that was the culprit.

@Saugat Chandra, my car is perfect now, they did check my car after fitting in the EGR from a relatively new Linea, their demo vehicle I suppose but again it had the same problem, was not going beyond 100 kmph(with my EGR, top speed was 80 kmph) and loads of black smoke. Then they decided to fit in the turbo from that very car to check if the my turbo was faulty, but just before they were about to do that, the service manager asked the guys to diagnose the problem again using the software. It now gave the following error codes, P0238 (turbo pressure) and P0101(Air flow meter signal). So, yesterday I did not bring my car back, with fingers crossed, I allowed them to try resolving the issue by giving them another day to work on it.

They again cleaned up the EGR, Intercooler, they thoroughly cleaned up the MAF/MAP sensors, hoses and all.
    But according to them, what magically solved the problem is a part they replaced which is attached to the EGR and is called Flex Sleeve, part no. is 59064173 and it costs just Rs. 749 (Incl. Of taxes).
    I drove car after I reached the service station today, and believe me I never expected the car to be so perfect, and as I like to call it, as good as new. Not a bit of black smoke was coming out, no matter how hard I accelerated, both while driving and when idle. Pick up was amazing, after a long time I had that feel, easily drove past 125 kmph, that is what I could achieve on the highway safely, surely will go beyond that(Usually, I never drive beyond 100 kmph even on best of highways).

So I suppose, to solve this problem, and as rightly suggested by AshithK, the sensors had to be cleaned up or replaced, EGR and Intercooler clean up is must, and replaced in extreme cases. The flex sleeve was the only replacement done to solve the problem of pick up/power loss with the EGR, Intercooler clean up.

(And I would like to tell you, the amount of black smoke coming out of my car's exhaust was so much that it used to form a thick cloud and vehicles behind were not visible from my RVM, it was very embarrassing and gave a bad and false impression of Fiat as a brand, so I stopped driving my car until I got time to get it repaired, this problem started suddenly when I was on my way back from Shimla, that is, driving downhill, just for the record I am mentioning this).

So there you go. I hope it helps you and others.
    Thanks again to AshithK for starting this thread long back and responding to me.
    And would like to give a little feedback for Cargo Motors, Jalandhar, they are bit slow and short of staff these days, but every single time they get the job done.
    And Fiat Linea is a gem of a machine, the more you will love it and care for it, the more love and care you will get from it. Mine has done over 105000 and it is flawless :)
    prabhjot and pdash like this.
  4. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Anurag: Glad that issue is resolved. :)
    its often faulty EGR valves results in reduced performance. so disconnect the EGR and drive, if car performance better, you have a EGR to clean/replace.
    Also, can you please start an ownership thread on your car. I appreciate people join TFI not only when there is some issue, but also a complete ownership review will help the fellow members in great extent.
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Anurag Sehgal likes this.
  5. Anurag Sehgal

Anurag Sehgal Timido

Jalandhar
    Linea 1.3
    Hi Deepak,

I was exactly thinking the same, a thorough review of the 105000 kms (crossed 108000 now) I completed with my car, would love to share my experience with everyone and how I managed to keep the car in best of condition throughout and that surprises people when they notice that it has done over a lakh kms. Will include my experiences on several trips I have taken so far on this car like Jaipur-Udaipur, Srinagar, Bikaner-Jaisalmer and a few others.

Also, I am taking up a road trip next month on this very Linea to LEH, going there by Srinagar route and coming back via Manali. This will be my second road trip to Leh, last one being on my Royal Enfield. Would love to share that as well with everyone here, so stay tuned :)
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Anurag Sehgal : superb bro :) waiting for your ownership thread.
    All the best for Leh road trip. Roads must be cleared by BRO by now. Drive safe.