1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Black or bluish smoke from exhaust and dipstick

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by AshithK, Sep 2, 2014.

1. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    Hi Guys, I have a problem with my car. The story I would like to start..
    I bought a used Fiat linea 2009 MJD emotion pack at 70k kms at the time of buying, now its clocked 103k kms. I got the half engine block replaced at 73k after a nasty jump on speed breaker in mysore road. The car was doing well until recently I had my first blow. The blown turbo charger. I got it rebuit locally in Bangalore and the car was zooming again but only for the next 2 days. Soon after that I heard a whistling sound from the turbo but the turbo has no boost at all. There was a huge black /bluish smoke from the exhaust and the car never went past 40km/hr. Then I drove all the way to Mysore road Vecto motors where the team who worked on my car previously (hosur road) was all there. I met SA and folks and shared the problem. SA opened up the dipstick on idle and found smoke coming out of it. Just by inspecting from outside.. he said that there is a back compression problem and suggested me to go for an engine overhaul and to go for a new half block engine yet again. He said that he will try and get me the warranty (as my car with new half engine was just about 7months with 30kms on it). The warranty was not approved since I got my second oil (Shell helix ultra, fully synthetic 5w-40) changed outside at a non-authorized fiat center and it was not recorded in the service history.

My question to guys here is:
    1. I am suspecting a bad turbo oil seal as it was a refurbished turbo (just 2days old) done locally in bangalore. Can this be the problem? If yes I can get the turbo repaired again free of cost as the vendor has given me a six months warranty for the same. The smoke is exactly like shown in this video

2. My car was not done any kind of back compression test using compression guages on the cylinders by the service team at Vecto, well then how can the SA suggest me to go for another new engine.

3. If at all there are bad piston rings (which I really doubt as I take care of my car like my baby with proper attention to it at all times) which I doubt for a 30k kms 7months old engine, can this be repaired with new piston rings for a trouble free rides in future. SA at vecto said me that they do not repair the engine for rings but they just replace it with a new engine block.

4. The engine is not seized, its running smooth but with no punch watsoever. Cold start has uneven or rough idling. There was no oil pressure low indication at all, but the dipstick was fully socked with the black engine oil.

5. I even wrote to Magesh regarding the warranty issue, but I did not hear anything positive from him yet.

6. Is my much loved fiat engine is just worth 30k kms?? I am feeling so bad and depressed, I don't like to be away from my car ever.

Guys please help me with this.. I really need your assistance.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Definitely check up with the turbo rebuild people. Prima facie, it sounds like the turbo seal and an improper rebuild. That should cure the smoke and the lack of power issue.

Regarding the "back compression", i am not sure what the basis of the diagnosis was. If it is just some smoke coming out of the dipstick cavity, then I wouldn't bother too much. Healthy hot engines do that a bit. Dont give too much thought about the dipstick being soaked with oil or not.

Get the turbo fixed. See how it runs and then see if the engine is consuming any oil. Only then can anyone take a call.

Cheers
    amogh and AshithK like this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Get the Turbo Changed or overhauled again. It's not an easy job to get a turbo repaired, unless precise and genuine parts are available. IIRC, there is a thread on TFI where the OEM turbo channel partners names and nos. are mentioned. BTW, how much did a turbo repair cost..?

In my case I got a brand new Garrett turbo at great discounts for the Siena a few years back. But I guess I was lucky. :)
    Also do update your car info below the Avatar to reflect Linea Emotion MJD.

Best of Luck..!

EDIT: if warranty is already an issue unresolvable by chance, you might consider semi-synth oils like Helix HX7 10W40 or OEM ones sold for Tata and Maruti MJD engines for SX4 or Manza. Anyways a new engine oil too will be needed again now.
  4. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    Thank you for the response. Yes, I would get the turbo overhauled yet again. I would be going to the workshop tomorrow. The turbo repair (well not exactly repaired, they said its reconditioned turbo) costed me 18k.
  5. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    Does Fiat linea MJD has a PCV valve. I heard that the blocked /clogged PCV valve would also cause dipstick smoke. Does a blow turbo oil seal cause a dipstick smoke? Please advise guys.
  6. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    Does Fiat linea MJD has a PCV valve. I heard that the blocked /clogged PCV valve would also cause dipstick smoke. Does a blow turbo oil seal cause a dipstick smoke?
  7. saugatchandra

saugatchandra Novizio

Navi Mumbai
    Hi!! i am also recently having excessive black smoke from my exhaust recently after 1,20,000 kms service. there is no other issue or drop in engine performance. Please let me know how your issue was solved.
    Thanks.
  8. Anurag Sehgal

Anurag Sehgal Timido

Jalandhar
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Everyone, I just joined and this is my first post here.

I own a Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD BS-3.
    It is a Jan '10 model and has clocked 105200 as of today. My car is at the Fiat service centre since Thursday for regular service,ac cooling coil replacement and most importantly this issue of power loss and emission of thick black smoke from the exhaust.

I was told that I needed to get the EGR, Intercooler cleaned up for this problem for which they told me they'd be charging Rs. 2500 as labour and the job was done, when I took the test drive of my car today, it is now emitting even more smoke and is not going beyond 80 kmph which was not the case earlier, it was emitting black smoke and was experiencing power loss but it was easily doing upto 120kmph and could have gone beyond that speed.

They seem to be clueless about the problem, they have now kept it for another day and will try putting some other car's EGR into my car and will check if the problem persists. In case it works fine, I need to get a new one which costs ard 9k and if it does not work out this way, they say the problem will be the turbo, which they say should be replaced with a new one and costs 45000 and I am being told to avoid getting it repaired which will cost 12-16k since it doesn't last long enough.

Now I am in a dilemma, regular running repair cost has already gone past 32k as of today, regular service, AC servicing, cooling coil replacement, AC gas filling, timing chain set replacement along with some water pump in the engine.
    At max, I would be able to get the new EGR and for the time being cannot get the new turbo. Staff at the service center is new, doesn't seem trained but since I have got all services timely done previously from this very service centre, there was no reason for not getting the work done from them this time, but I am regretting it now.

Please, someone suggest if they had a similar problem and how it was solved. Do I need to get these costly repairs/replacements done?
  9. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    Hi Anurag, I advise you to take your car out of the service station. I seriously hope they have not swapped your turbo for another car. Since your car has done over lac kms.. I think your MAF sensor may be clogged or bad. If the MAF sensor is bad it gives a wrong air intake calculation to the on board computer which makes the car run rich with low pick up. Black smoke and sluggishness is common with bad MAF sensor. I think your stock turbo is good... maybe after cleaning the intercooler they have not fitted the hoses properly as a result there may be a turbo leak.
    Worst case scenario if your turbo is bad you can get it replaced with a reconditioned turbo outside. My car runs on a reconditioned turbo without a problem for over 25000kms now. Reconditioned turbo costed me 18k here in bangalore.
    Just check your dipstick for oil level, if they have put in more than 3.2liters you would definitely not be able to achieve a speed of more than 80kms/hr.
    I always make sure to be with the car when it gets serviced at the service station, even though it cost me a day.
    I think you have a very minor issue with your car. It may be hoses not fitted properly, a bad maf sensor or excessive oil fill. Please let me know once you get these things checked.
    Anurag Sehgal likes this.
  10. Anurag Sehgal

Anurag Sehgal Timido

Jalandhar
    Linea 1.3
    Dear AshithK,
    Thank you for responding.

One thing I am quite sure about is that they had definitely put in more than 3.5 litres of oil. So, as you are suggesting that car won't go beyond speed of 80 kmph with more than 3.2 lts, this certainly seems to be one of the reason.

I will make sure I get there early morning tomorrow and get the MAF sensors, hoses checked and will definitely take the car out tomorrow from the work shop. I have got even the smallest of jobs done from this very service centre ever since I purchased it, and honestly it was as good as new till last 800-900 kms when this black smoke problem occurred and it was all because of these Fiat guys here that my car was in top notch condition, but this time around suddenly almost all faces are unfamiliar and very likely they could swap the parts for some other car, which sadly I won't get to know now but will make sure any further damage is not done.
    Hope they get the job done in the morning, else I will take the car out of there without any replacements done. Sadly though, I got to pay them 32k for the job they have done, it will be a heartbreak since the car won't be perfect.

Will definitely revert back and thanks again ☺