1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Black Dense Smoke - Fiat Punto

Discussion in 'Technical' started by thinkagain, Apr 28, 2014.

1. thinkagain

thinkagain Timido

Srinagar
    Hello. I'm having some trouble with my Fiat Punto lately. Whenever i try to drive aggressively i.e whenever i rev hard, my car's exhaust exhales lot of black dense smoke. But if i drive normally with light pedal no black smoke comes out.
    I changed the air filter but no difference was noted.
    Please help. And here in my city there is no Fiat service center. Fiat Customer Care is always saying "We will revert back with assistance" but its been 3 months now and no assistance is provided by them.
    What could be the cause of this much dense black smoke? and what should i do, as i have to do it myself.
    Thanks
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    All diesel engines Naturally Aspirated (without turbo) emits black smoke.
    Generally turbo charged engine should not smoke.
    But due to adulterated fuel modern CRDi engines with Turbo also emit black smoke.

Nothing to woory till you are not getting any performance & mileage problem.

Try another fuel station. You may get difference.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  3. thinkagain

thinkagain Timido

Srinagar
    But the smoke is too much and black in color. This makes me drive the car at feather touch on the accelerator. I'm really worried about this. I get a mileage of about 15 km/ltr in the city. I don't accelerate fast, which i would have loved to.
    If it would have been less dmoke i would have carried on. i can see the smoke on my rear view mirror on pumping the pedal.
    Please help
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I think you have to seek professional help from some Fiat Technician or some expert mechanic who has tools to diagnose and fix Fiat. Bhai has explained pretty much what could be the problems, still someone needs to check the car personally.

See if a long drive with some hard acceleration clears up the accumulated soot. If problem persists, it will need attention soon.
    1 person likes this.
  5. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Also check the turbo hose for leaks, puncture or disconnection.
  6. thinkagain

thinkagain Timido

Srinagar
    The problem is that here in Srinagar is no Fiat Service center. I don't want to trust a local mechanic with my Fiat as they don't check fiat cars as often

- - - Merged Post - - -

Where should i look for this turbo hose? Sorry I'm not well versed with these
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Please check this thread. Huge Smoke from exhaust pipe
    and specifically this post.
    I gave the suggestion based on this.

Another post regarding the same issue.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    As others have said this is most likely a problem with one of the turbo hoses. you might not have noticed the mileage/pickup drop which happens due to it usually.

Take it to a local garage where suzuki swifts are serviced and ask the mechanic to check all the rubber pipes connected to turbo charger in your presence. do not worry as this is a pretty simple check for mechanics and it wont harm your car.

You may want to message our TFIan from Srinagar Mr SA Shah who may be able to help you out in finding a reliable local garage: http://www.teamfiat.co.in/members/s-a-shah.htm
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    2 people like this.
  9. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    ^^ I agree with Shams.
    Any mechanic worth his name who has worked on a Swift/Ritz DDIS engine can work with our MJD engines. They are one and the same except for the electronic controls.
    In fact I have done the service of my Punto at a local MASS next to my office.
    2 people like this.
  10. thinkagain

thinkagain Timido

Srinagar
    Thanks for all the inputs.
    I called Fiat Customer care and asked what should i do regarding the problem. They gave me Fiat Manager number of Jammu region but the number was switched off. I called Fiat again but they said they couldn't help anymore and i should call on the number again later.
    Then i went to TATA service station to see whether they would help. I had previously visited them for service but they refused to service the car stating that they didn't have any spare parts for FIAT.
    I approached them with the problem. There the guy drove the car and assured me that the turbo isn't damaged (Thank God) but there might be some other problem with the exhaust or other hoses. He told if the turbo gets damaged then the pick up of the car is very much affected but my car's pickup is ok.
    Now he told me to come on Thursday to get the car checked. He also told that no major repair process will be provided only minor.
    Hope they check the car there in TATA service center day after tomorrow.