1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bhilai to Goa : Road info and other queries - Help required

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Arryan, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Bhilai
    Linea 1.3
    I am planning a Goa trip in September/October 2014. After reading so many TL on different forum for Goa I could not resist myself from planning a trip to this exotic location. The timing of the trip is restricted by the vacation of my son and I'm not very sure if this would be the proper time to visit Goa. This would be the first trip for me and my family to Goa so I would need a lot of freindly advice from the fellow members to make this trip successful.

The first querry would be obviously on the route to be taken. I've planned this route :

GOA Route.jpg

The onward journey is planned through MH with the purpose of exploring that side of the country and specially to experience the Western Ghats. I've travelled on this route upto Aurangabad/Shirdi and hence some part of the route is known to me. I hope it would be possible to reach Pune by the end of day 1 by starting early in the morning.

I plan to take a different route through Hyderabad during the return journey. This will give me an oppurtunity to venture into a new territory and I hear that the roads in this part (or Route) are well maintained and will be a pleasure to drive.

2. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    First of all, felt nice to see a thread title starting from Bhilai:D .
    The onwards route seems fine. Pune in a day is pretty easily achievable.(I did that in an MPFI indica last year :))
    I am not sure about the return leg.

All the best!!
  3. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Bhilai
    Linea 1.3
    Abhishek, Thanks.

During the return journey, the roads through northern Karnataka and AP are good. Again the route from Hyderabad to Nagpur is part of the NS corridor and is good four lane road except at certain patches near the AP-MH border.

I have my doubts about the route during the onward journey. Firstly the road condition after Amravati and through Karanja-Mehkar-Jalna-Aurangabad is state highway and I'm not sure how the road will be after the monsoon. Aurangabad-Ahmednagar-Pune is four lane but again state highway. How much time do you think should it take from Bhilai to Pune? Secondly, is there any way to bypass Pune or I need to pass through the city?
  4. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Arryan,

Last year when I did it, road condition were awesome, except the stretch between Nagpur -Bhandara. That was the reason I completed it in a single day, for Linea it will be a piece of cake. The route which you have chosen seems fine. This side of MH has great roads, they all are tolled and well paved. During my trip I chose to be in NH 6 as more as possible, so after Jalna went via akola and then amravati. There can be some odd potholes owing to monsoon But roads are good nevertheless.

It took me 16-17 hrs for the journey;
    You can bypass pune as you are going via satara. Just after crossing Shirur there is a cutting which will connect you to Satara road via kedagaon(which is on pune-solapur hwy) - Supe - morgaon(one of the 8 ashtavinayak temple) - Lonand - Satara. Road is good as I have used a part of this stretch during my ashtavinayak trip.

One thing I cant comment about is the availability of hotels in this entire stretch. Better stay in shirur itself, if planning to bypass pune.

Hope this helps. :)
    1 person likes this.
  5. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    965 KMS in one day on your onward journey with a kid is long and I would avoid it. Abhishek has done it but it took him 16 hours which could be tiring. I suggest you drive not more than twelve to thirteen hours a day and break your journey at Ahmednagar.

September / October should be a good time to visit Goa. It is the beginning of the winter season and the rains would have stopped by then.
    1 person likes this.
  6. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    ^^True. Some suggestions from my side:

1. Start early, probably 04:00 am. This will give you some extra time to travel.
    2. Take frequent short breaks instead of long breaks. This will keep your family from not getting bored, especially your son(if he is a toddler...).
    3. If you are planning to cover more distance, better to pack your food. You can save some time at the hotel

Happy journey.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Bhilai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Abhishek for the information, specially the by-pass to Pune city.
    Thanks Satish and 5u3zEr0 for your concern and suggestions.

#I'm sorry if I misguided you people but my son is 12+ and he is accustomed to travelling long.
    #I'm planning to start early by 3:00AM if possible and will certainly carry the breakfast and lunch with us. Only stops would be for tea breaks.
    # I know it will be long and have the option to break at Aurangabad or Ahmednagar, if required. But again, given a option I would definitely try to cover up to Pune by end of the day.
    # Another reason for trying to reach Pune is decent hotel options, since I'll be with my family. I didn't find many hotel options at Ahmednagar in Tripadvisor. Abhishek I may bother you again with the stay options at Pune or Ahmednagar, I hope you don't mind.

Hyderabad members, please, your comments / suggestions on the return route.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  8. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Welcome Arryan :) . I wont be of much help for Ahmednagar, but for Pune, I will definitely check what I can.
  9. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    During my trip to Vellore from Indore two years ago, I missed the Pune bypass and entered the city at evening hours and got caught in the traffic. Somehow, I could later go via Katraj Ghat to Satara & stayed at a hotel on highway. So be careful not to miss Pune bypass. You should look for hotel on highway and not enter Pune in the evening hours. Puneits can guide better.
    In my case, we both drive, so it is not much issue to cover longer distance. Do you both drive (you and wife)? Of course age matters. I am 50+. Also starting before dawn needs extra caution.
  10. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Bhilai
    Linea 1.3
    Now, since the journey is to start on 28th. of this month, I would request for some more information :-

a. Suggestion for some decent hotel at Pune (on the route) is welcome, as I'll be travelling with my family I would prefer safe and comfortable ones.
    b. Similar hotel in Ahmednagar as a backup option.
    c. What route should I follow to pass through Pune city. Can I stay near Kharadi and continue through SH27 to Hadapsar-Pisoli and join the SH114 near Katraj. I have absolutely no idea about Pune and would really appreciate your help in this matter as I would like to avoid the Monday morning traffic to the extent possible.
    d. Similarly, suggestions of a decent hotel in Hyderabad near to the ORR is welcome.
    e. Lastly, any news about the latest road condition after the monsoons would be immensely helpful.

I would to clarify further on my enquiry about the route :
    After joining NH9 I would like to avoid going towards the centre of Pune city, that is the reason I'm asking Pune members would it be possible to take the Pandharpur road from Hadapsar and then take the Saswad Road to join SH114 near the Katraj Chowk.

Thanks, in advance.