1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bewildered by Fiat ! Help me choose right one for me 90 or 75 HP - Booked 90HP

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by KPR, Sep 7, 2015.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Welcome to the forum KPR. Enough has been said about 75 and 90 hp. As described by others, 75 hp is more derivable in city than 90. While the 90hp will be a beast on highway.

Regarding the timing chain, it is part of replacement schedule during 60,000 kms service. Remember that it is applicable only for 90 hp and not 75.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @KPR
    For 75Hp , there is no such circulation for timing chain change madate at 60 K Kms. Mine is 75hp changed the timing chain at 1,24,000Kms.
    Turbothinghy, KPR and ramjn like this.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    The timing chain replacement is mentioned in the service schedule of petrol variants but not for Diesel variant schedule in the Operating manual. For diesel variants it says, replace the timing chain irrespective of kms once every 4 years and one of the criteria is driving in the city

upload_2015-9-8_11-21-45.png
  4. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thank You.

Though Fiat by its various options bewildered me, TFI is enriching my knowledge and giving me a directions in proceeding further. Thank you all members of TFI.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 8, 2015 ---
    Thanks for the information.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes @ghodlur another FASC confirms incidents of chain failures of similar freqency for 75hp models too. Also in some cases chains have lasted a lot more even on 90hp, but that is still a risk post 60k kms. I guess as mentioned, the stress conditions vary per car usage pattern.
    Turbothinghy, prabhjot and Ganges like this.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Was it ever inspected? There is no schedule to inspect it either in the service schedule. Is it "use till dead" logic for the timing chain. Since timing chain failures are generally quite grave in nature.
  7. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP

A small comparison I have made w.r.to my existing swift and a punto if purchased based on your input above.
    I have recently completed my 70K service of swift. The total service cost/KM incurred in 9 services (incl 1k,5k,10k free) is Rs. 0.60 /KM. Working by your post for 75K service of Punto the figure is about Rs. 0.69/KM for 6 services (incl 5k free service).
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ghodlur
    i always posted my query's regarding timing chain in tfi.When you do oil change regularly, then why need to change early,also there was no metal cling noise.Once my car was above 90K Kms, i started engine oil change at every 6K Kms,to be safe, the change was economical with 10W40 semi synthetic.
    Above all my car is pure highway car.Keeping in mind all the do's and dont's,later took the decision at 1.24L Kms :)
    ghodlur likes this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You can never be too sure how much luck has played its factor. Yes your highway drives have helped. Also your clutch IIRC has been working for a much above average interval. Which explains why your engine timing chain has lasted so long. But risky it certainly was. Maybe a calculated risk in your mind.

@KPR, cost and built and component quality wise if you see the overall service costs, its still subsidised. I have not read all your posts, but assume you are comparing DDiS with MJD Punto.
    Turbothinghy, prabhjot and Ganges like this.
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    My guess, the reason for @Ganges clocking higher kms compared to parts renewal is because of his more of highway usage. The kms covered is more and the clutch and gear usage is far less in relation to the kms munched. It may not be an ideal benchmark for city users who use the gears and clutch several times a minute.

Abdul
    Turbothinghy and prabhjot like this.