1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bewildered by Fiat ! Help me choose right one for me 90 or 75 HP - Booked 90HP

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by KPR, Sep 7, 2015.

1. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I never liked to go beyond maruti as their cars satisfied me till date without any trouble. I owned an alto for 3 years and then now own a Swift VDI diesel. I needed to change my Swift VDI which had clocked ~75K kms in 4 years. My better half started using car extensively in the last 6 months. We are amused with the current ride of Swift but aging of the car and need for ABS and airbags made us to plunge into new buy. We decided then to buy a new diesel car with all safety features equipped. Our requirement was quite simple. An affordable european car with no compromise on safety. Only brand which answers these affordable + european + safety combo is Fiat. We took TD of Fiat lineup. Budget was ranging from 8-9L.
    Did TD of 90 HP, Avvy and Linea MJD. Our preferences like judges cliche in reality shows 'all are good but how to choose best one'? So our choices were like 1. Avvy 2. 90 HP 3. Linea.
    But after many possible choices, we zeroed on 90 HP as it suited me and wife being rookie driver and does local short drives only had no big opinion on that. Now the question arises. Why not 75 HP? I don't push beyond 110 KMPH and have enjoyed Swift ride in B2B traffic , single and four laned roads. I never got the urge to push beyond 110 max and I'm of the opinion that it is insane to do that in Indian roads. My wife says she is convenient with swift ride and she needs a car which is quite convenient to ride in traffic like swift. So whether 90 HP give an answer to that? I have gone through 75 Hp or 90 Hp threads. Still confused. Today going to take a TD of Punto emotion 75 HP.
    We like both all black and beige interiors. Our Swift has black interior and we are welcome to beige one in 75 HP.
    In TDs done so far we end up liking all the cars of fiat. Thus we are Bewildered by Fiat giving us opitons in diesel from 8L to 11L. As we liked any other fiat car Im sure we will like 75 HP too. Kindly help us in taking right decision.
  2. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    KPR, Welcome to the world of bewilderness of Fiat !

I own a Linea, but, not driven Avvy or extensively driven Punto 75 hp to comment on them.
    However, the question you have asked "75 or 90" is too common here.
    Many have suggested Avvy as answer, for it's being tweaked to tackle B2B as well.
    Please give it a thought too.
    You will not go wrong with any of the fiats!
    KPR likes this.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @KPR

To ease your bewilderment - Go for 75Hp if your driving is 60% city and 40% highways else go fo 90Hp for the 40% city and 60% highway. Anyways your wife wants a good city drive, I think you should opt for 75Hp. Since you have already taken the TD of 90HP, take the TD of the 75 HP and compare if you find any difference at all. If no difference then go for the 90Hp
    prabhjot and KPR like this.
  4. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks a lot. Then it is a case of 75 HP for us. Hope it works out well during TD.
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @KPR : For your kind of driving style Punto 75 should fit the bill easily. I drive a 90 HP and cay say that the main difference is on the highway after 3000 RPM. Till 3000 RPM 75 HP is almost as capable at 90 HP and you can cruise at 120 km/hr in 5th gear at 3000 RPM all day. But if you want to go north of 120 km/hr 90 HP would be faster and less strained. Not hat 75 HP wont be able to reach higher speeds, but it will sound strained.

Also, 75 HP is a little more agile in city, thanks to the 2nd gear ratio. Test drive 75 HP and 90 HP back to back and then figure it out. Also, try to test both the vehicles at highway.

Avvy Diesel is the best trade off between the 75 HP and 90 HP, i.e it would be like 75 HP in city speeds (read: lesser lag than 90 HP Punto) and like 90 HP Punto (at highway speeds). 90 HP Punto has a punchier mid-range than Avvy D, but at lower RPMs, Avvy D is better.

So, all the 3 cars, drive a little differently.
    KPR likes this.
  6. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    1. Punto fits my budget and I may have to stretch for an emotion avvy.
    2. Maybe after 6-7 years when I go for replacing my car I may not lose much on resale for punto than for an avvy. Yes, I like to play safe since it is my first Fiat.
  7. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Then go for 75 HP/90 HP Emotion. You wont be missing out on any fun :D
    KPR likes this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @KPR
    After few thousand Kms you will regret for 15horses power.
    Again a buy of 75hp from Swift 75hp makes a real sense :D both are two different cars with the same heart.Please beaware about the turbo lag when compared with peppier swift.You have to change your driving style with 75hp/90hp punto.
    KPR likes this.
  9. drknaresh

drknaresh Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    I owned a Punto 75 hp, before upgrading to linea. Punto 75 has a better city driveability when compared to 90 hp. When on a highway, 90hp Punto is a totally different animal with its very strong midrange pull, amazing ride quality. I bet you ll never go back to swift again. No offense
  10. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Its not the turbo lag but the punch you get in a swift after the turbo kicks in is dangerously addictive. Whereas in Punto the turbo kick is more or less linear, you will not be pushed back into your seat once the turbo kicks in. Hence there's lot more control.

My wife was scared sitting in the back when we took the TD of the diesel swift and I floored the car post the turbo kick in. :D:D:D
    Ganges and KPR like this.