1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Beware of fake paypal id service@paypal.co.in

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    When I was in Dubai, I once received a call on my mobile telling me that I had won some price & the person started telling me some number & told me that this is the number written on my simcard.He asked me to cross check that & give them a call back. To my surprise, the number told by this fellow was matching my sim card no. But I was not actually convinced by this person's talk. His English accent was not that of a call centre person. Anyway I gave a call back & it was picked up by some fellow & he was speaking to me with some butler English. Then he handed over the phone to another person who started talking to me in Hindi & when I started questioning him, he hang up the call. Later in a week I came to know that some Pakistanis were arrested & what they did was route international calls through our mobile phone. They would ask us to press some key combination in our mobile as part of some confirmation for the price won & once we press the key combination, our mobiles will be compromised /hacked.

Most terrific cyber attack that is happening nowadays is Phishing attack. Given below are some guidelines which can keep you safe.

1. Be Suspicious : Never respond to emails that request personal financial information: You should be suspicious of any email that asks for your password or account details, or includes links for that purpose. Be vigilant, that no bank or financial institution sends such types of emails to its customers.

2. Be Specially Alert, When You See a Warning Email That Your Account is Compromised: Play cool. Phishing emails generally come with alarming claims (e.g., that your account details have been stolen or lost). Whenever you get such an email, report it to the bank by directly going to their website. Do not respond to the phishing email in any manner. Let it rest in your Junk / Spam folder

3. Phishing mails usually use a generic greeting: Just because of the simple fact that in most cases, phishing attempt people do not have your complete identity and they send the emails in masses, such mails do not start with your name in the addressee place. Typical emails start with salutation such as “Dear valued customer,”

4. Look for mis-spellings or substitute characters (e.g., “1nformati0n”): They are generally inserted in an attempt to bypass anti-spam software.

5. Never Follow the Links embedded Links: If you feel compelled to follow the email, then do not click on the embedded link in the email. Instead, type in directly in the browser. You can also try your browser’s built-in search window. It is often able to catch the phishing sites.

6. Look for https://: Ensure that the website you are visiting is secure. Check the web address in the address bar. If the website you are visiting is on a secure server, it should start with “https://” (“s” stands for secure) rather than the usual “http://”.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    4 people like this.
  2. Thanks for taking time to write this down, I am sure it will help in increasing the awareness.