1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Better Late Than Never - Tuscan Wine TJet+

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by Parantap Chatterjee, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi ,

My Tuscan Wine T Jet+ was delivered last Friday. A big thanks to everybody here at TFI for all the inputs. Special thanks to all the TJet owners - I will not risk taking names because I might miss somebody , but be assured , if you have a TJet ownership thread here or any other forum , I have read every line of it and it has helped me greatly ! :)

Background : The loan for my first car , a 1.4 Petrol Logan got over this July and I was on the lookout for a new car. The other car in the family was my wife's Honda city ZX. Came across the ads for the TJet+ and went through ownership reviews in detail. I wasn't considering a diesel anyway given my low daily runs of 20-30Kms.

The TJet surely looked like a killer deal given its trim/equipment levels , along with the legendary turbocharged engine.

TD , booking and delivery : Only Triumph Auto in Faridabad had a TD TJet as well as a March '11 TJet+ in stock. Took a test drive , promptly blown away . Went to check out the car they had in stock - more details on this can be found in my thread in the "What Car" section. Cut to the chase , two test drives later , car was booked !

Other cars considered/Test Driven - None.

Delivery was scheduled last Friday , 19th of October after the finances were arranged with HDFC. The SA , Satish was a pleasant enough fellow and generally responsive. Didn't go over too many technicalities/features as I was aware of mostly everything about the car , and I think he was aware that I was aware :D !

The car I was planning to buy had a few minor scratches here and there which they had fixed prior to delivery , but in the process introduced a few new ones . I have chosen to over look these. The overally delivery experience was quite interesting actually :

1. Rear left chrome door handle was badly scuffed - door lock assembly replaced using the same from the 2012 Linea TD car
    2. Cap of windshield fluid reservoir missing - replaced using the same from the 2012 Linea TD car
    3. Insulation under bonnet ragged - replaced using the same from the TD Tjet
    4. Weak battery , would not crank even after jump starting - replaced using battery from the 2012 MJD on display

Car was delivered with 136 H on the odo.

Initial driving impressions :
    1. A modern day Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Keep the revs low and she will meekly potter about town all day. Floor the throttle and she leaps forward. Seriously , the throttle response and the torque is something to be experienced !
    2. Proper big car feel - Lots of room in the front. Although the available position options (driver seat height/steering height/driver seat slide/seat back position) can cause a large number of permutations and combinations
    3. Brakes - Thank god for all four disc brakes. They bite down haaaard !
    4. Amazing steering - A lot has been said on this so I will not reiterate. Suffice to say that the steering makes the car feel like an an extension of you. I drove the Honday today after a long while and it felt like a go kart
    5. Vault like build - Very evident
    6. Start up sound - Don't think too many people have mentioned this but I am loving it ! Start the car up and you get proper feel of what lies beneath the hood.

Things that could have been better :
    1. Optimization of storage space - the only usable space for me is the one inside the armrest !
    2. Long pedal travel - Not sure if this characteristic of all Fiat cars , but it certainly takes some getting used to ! Stalled a car while taking a U-turn after along time
    3. Gear shifts are a bit iffy - nowhere near to the City in this department. Hoping it will feel more precise with time. Car has done about 500km to date.

Niggles/Issues :
    1. Odometer blinking - Fixed at Dhingra motors
    2. Windshield reservoir pipe had fallen off - Fixed
    3. Wipers were leaving trails on operation - Temporarily fixed by adding shampoo to the water , but will probably replace the blades anyway
    4. Light shuddering sound coming from front left. Audible only when its very quiet outside and at very low/crawling speeds - Explained by technician as normal given the heavy engine of the Linea. Currently on to-do list
    5. Wind noise - On to-do list
    6. Road noise - Changing the OEM Goodyears very soon

In some ways , I think this car has made me a saner driver :) Earlier there was this to urge to meddle with the racers in their Swifts/Hondas/Ventos/Safaris when one used to land on my tail honking/flashing/dipping/dimming.. Now I calmly move over and let them pass - "I forgive you.."

So without further ado , Ladies and Gentleman , it is with much pride that I present to you - my Ikran.

2.jpg

[A very honorable mention to my outgoing car - Mahindra Logan GLX 1.4.. king of comfort , trusted ride for four years - you will be missed]
    7 people like this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hearty Congratulations Parantap on owning the most powerful C Segment Petrol Sedan. :)
  3. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Congrats Parantap for TW Tjet+, do post some good snaps of your beauty. Drive safely.
  4. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Congratulations Parantap. You've your hands on one of the best underrated Petrol cars.

I know it's easier said than done but don't let this spoil your initial ownership experience.

However, since these are spoilers, do write to Fiat to give feedback that these are the things which can put off a new buyer. Such feedback helps companies.
  5. Congratulations Pratap!

The badge "T-Jet" is in itself says what this car is all about!

Wish you happy and safe mile munching with your T-Jet :)
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Congratulations and best wishes, Parantap Chatterjee. Explore and enjoy your lovely Linea T-Jet+.:)
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    WHAT A CAR, WHAT A CAR !!

If i didn't care more I would have bought the Tjet as well and compromised on the economy ... But thanks to FIAT , TFI'ans and the beauty called linea Tjet , I might consider this as a second car.. Purely for highway driving.... ;)
  8. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Thank you for the comments everybody :)

I will try and get the issues resolved at the service centre. Have a visit planned for tomorrow. Honestly , the issues are minor right now but you never know when one of them turn out to be a major headache later.

For now I am completely enjoying the driving experience :) The sound of the turbo spooling up is to die for !

If you really want a TJet I suggest you hurry up ! I'm sure you know that this car is already out of production and any existing stock would be at least 18 months old. Otherwise you can wait for the 2013 TJet - if that is launched.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  9. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Hearty Congratulations! TW is easily one of the best shades for this car. Almost bought one last year - alas!
  10. khoj

khoj Amatore

Dilli
    Hi Parantap, congratulations on getting your Ikran home.
    I went through your list of niggles and regarding point #3, I would like to suggest using hair conditioner instead of shampoo in the windshield cleaner fluid mix. Shampoos have sulphates in them which are abrasive and can leave scratch marks on the glass.