Best route to cochin from chennai ?

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Cuty Red, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Cuty Red

Cuty Red

Car:
    Grande Punto 1.3MJD Emotion Pk 90 HP
    Friends ,

I am planning for a road trip with family to alleppey in Jan End or Mid Feb 2012 .

As of now route planned is as follows : Chennai -Trichi- Dindigul - Palani - Udumalaipettai - Salaiyur -Kollengode - Vadakkanchery - Munnuthy - Cochin - Alleppey

Now only reason to opt for this route is Chennai to Trichi is 4 lane and Dindigul to Kollengode is scenic .

Or should I stick to the Chennai - Krishnagiri - Salem- Bhavani route ?

Any alternate route is also most welcome .

I am planning to start by early morning @4 am and reach destination by around 6- 7 pm on same day .

Ajit
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Car:
    Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion Pk
    Going via Trichy, Dindigul is good thought and worth trying. But, why would you want to do Salaiyur-Kollengode? Go to Pollachi and then make it to Kollengode.
    Here's the route and its pain points from my experience.

Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Palani-Udumalai-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkanchery-Mannuthy-Cochin.

You won't have issues till Dindigul. All 4 lane except that you need to enter Trichy city and connect with the Dindigul Road. Dindigul-Pollachi is 2 laned road but good. Only pain here is that you will encounter 4-5 railway crossings with very bad patches. Pollachi-Vadakkenchery will be decent 2 laned road. From Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy, I don't think you should expect a road at all :). This may be the biggest pain area on your whole trip. Mannuthy-Cochin, you may know well. 4 Laning is almost complete but the traffic is too much.

Alternately, you can think about Pollachi-Palghat-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Thrissur. I know you will be doing 30-40 kms. additionally but it will be a smooth ride for you in this route. I took this route to reach Guruvayoor from Chennai.

If you wanted to avoid the Trichy-Dindigul then Alternate option can be Chennai-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Palghat
  3. Cuty Red

Cuty Red

Car:
    Thanks a lot Ramesh for the valuable suggestion .

Only reason for choosing Salaiyur-Kollengode is to avoid going through Pollachi town which I heard is too busy .In the trip that Anandh did to Valparai in July , i think he took that route :)

And as you suggested I dont mind travelling 30 -40 kms extra if my ride can get smoother . So yeah as you suggested Once i reach palghat I will take this route Palghat-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Thrissur .

Also Mannuthy - Cochin I think that I should put my speed limit beep to 70 kms so that I can escape from getting any visitng cards from police .

Ajit
  4. ramjn

Car:
    Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion Pk
    If you are heading to Valparai, taking the Salaiyur route will make sense. But, if you need to touch Kollengode its better to stick to Pollachi. Anyway if you have decided to do the Palghat-Ottapalam route, you will have to touch Pollachi. Pollachi-Palghat will be breeze to drive.

Yes. Stick to the speed to the max. of 80 KMPH from Mannuthy. In my last ride, I paid Rs. 300 at the Cochin bypass for doing 90 KMPH. The cops told me that they will tolerate till 80 but not above that :).
  5. Cuty Red

Cuty Red

Car:

Thanks once again Ramesh for the suggestion :)

Hahahaha .. I was about to ask you about how much u paid in that route :D ..

So I will take this route : Chennai-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Palghat -Ottapalam-Shoranur-Thrissur - Cochin -

Looks like ~ 800 kms one side in 13 hrs . .. Eagarly waiting for this trip ..

Any recommended pit stops for refueling ? Both for my family and car ?

Ajit
  6. ramjn

Car:
    Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion Pk
    Where are you located Ajit? If you are located somewhere near Tambaram, reaching NH4 from Tambaram itself will be time consuming, instead you can stick to Tambaram-Trichy-Dindigul-Palani-Pollachi-Palghat. You can save a lot from the Tolls in this route :). But, Krishnagiri-Salem route will be awesome.

For the Trichy route, you will get Hotel Aryaas on the highway at Tindivanam, Villupuram and Ulundurpet. You will also get A2B at Ulundurpet (You need to take a U turn before the Ulundurpet toll to go to A2B). Hotel Sangeetha is good in Trichy. It is near the Central Bus Stand and they have ample car parking :). No good hotels on the Dindigul bypass. You will get decent hotels again in Pollachi. Once you enter Kerala, you will get to lots of hotels on the highway. I once had lunch at "The Hut" near Chertala. Food was good. For fuelling, I suggest you to do it in Trichy/Pollachi.

If you were to take the Krishnagiri route, I always remember about the A2B just before the Thoppur Toll. You will get Hotel Saravana Bhavan if you enter Salem city. One more option is available at Perundurai on the other side of the highway (Forgot the hotel name). For fuelling do it at Salem/Coimbatore.
  7. Cuty Red

Cuty Red

Car:
    Ramesh,

I am located near tambaram ( Pallavaram). I can reach NH4 via manimangalam or via porur . Since I will be starting by 4 am I can reach sriperumbadur easily without much traffic.

So I will stick to krishnagiri - salem route as you have suggested . And A2B stop is for sure . I will check the Perundurai also once .

Once in kerala , we have a lot of highway hotels . I too had gone to "The Hut" few times . It is a good choice for food .

Ajit
  8. ramjn

Car:
    Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion Pk
    Ok. Then, its better to stick with the Porur route. Manimangalam route may be horrible for your Punto.
  9. Cuty Red

Cuty Red

Car:
    Friends ,
    I will be travelling to alleppey this friday with family.Planning to start early by 3 am .

A change in route at last minute after reading the current road conditions .

Planning to do the below route :

Chennai --> Trichy --> Madurai --> Shenkotai --> Kottarakara --> Changanassery --> Alleppey

though it is ~70 kms more than the shortest distance which is via theni , heard that the above route is having good roads.

Hope to reach madurai for breakfast .Any decent hotels near madurai on Trichy -- madurai NH 45B

Any recent travellers on this route ?

Any suggestion on this route / breakout points will be very helpful

Ajit
  10. ramjn

Car:
    Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion Pk
    Hotel Temple City on NH45 is good. It is located after the Madurai Toll and will be on your side of the road when you go from Chennai. Opposite to Temple city, you can find A2B as well. But, I prefer Temple City over A2B.