1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Best place to get engine work done in Chennai?

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by Crazy_Eddy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Crazy_Eddy

Crazy_Eddy Novizio

Chennai
    Edit: My bad, the valve tappets are hydraulic (part no.2, notice the oil grooves around the tappets). So no adjustments are needed.
    IafkkFM.jpg

Still no idea what the actual problem is. Ramkay taking their own sweet time to open head :rolleyes:
  2. Crazy_Eddy

Crazy_Eddy Novizio

Chennai
    Ramkay opened the head on Thursday. The hydraulic tappets have failed, they dont have any play in them. There was plenty of oil around the head and the hydraulic tappet grooves, so doesn't look like any oil lubrication problems. Have asked them to check anyway.

There's no visible physical damage to valves or pistons. They sent it to a lathe to measure valve clearances and do a compression test. Yesterday they called and said all the vital components in the head - camshaft, valves, need to be changed.

1. Is it possible for all components to fail in one shot? Or is Ramkay taking me for a ride?
    2. Is this due to wear and tear or has something else caused their failure? For info, the car has completed 96K Kms.
  3. Crazy_Eddy

Crazy_Eddy Novizio

Chennai
    For future reference for anyone looking to get engine work done - please do not go to Ramkay, they are not equipped for engine work and send the engines to a third party mechanic (Popular something on Mount Road).
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    How do you know this? More details in this regard would help members.
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

I suppose he means lathe work?

Correct me if am wrong, but I do not think any After Sales would do lathe work, instead they replace the block/head/whatever.
  6. Crazy_Eddy

Crazy_Eddy Novizio

Chennai
    No, no lathe work is being done. I went there this morning expecting to see the engine head but was told the engine head is still at this lathe. When I asked why it hasn't returned yet, the SA told me that this place will do all the work of replacing valves, camshafts, etc. I said it isn't a fiat authorised place, he said no its ok, everyone gets their work done from him :confused:

They're bringing the head back since I want to have another look at the camshaft. Will confirm once again that it isn't ramkay who will be doing the rebuild.