1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Best place to get engine work done in Chennai?

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by Crazy_Eddy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Crazy_Eddy

Crazy_Eddy Novizio

Chennai
    Facing excessive valvetrain noise on a 1.4 petrol NA engine. Any pointers on which service centre/3rd party garage in Chennai would be best at diagnosing and fixing it?

Thanks in advance :)
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Did you take your car to RDC/Ramkay for the diagnosis? I suggest you to do this first before thinking about the outside garage. There are couple of places available. But, first check with FASS.
  3. Crazy_Eddy

Crazy_Eddy Novizio

Chennai
    No, not yet taken it. I first wanted to get info on which FASS to take it to, before I give it to one of them and then find they are unable to sort it out.

Ramkay is very customer friendly, but not technically competent - the last time we'd been to Ramkay to get the fuel pump replaced, they forgot to replace the fuel tank gasket and petrol was spilling all over the place. Wouldn't want something similar happening to a more complex part like the engine ;) Never been to RDC since its always full and not sure how good their new service centre off Ambattur is.

A friend got his Palio's engine head rebuilt at a third party garage - SMK Auto, and they seemed pretty systematic in their work. Although I guess the FASS will have better access to documentation and blueprints.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  4. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Murugan at SMK Auto is quite knowledgeable on the Palio's. But, I believe he hasn't worked much on the new gen cars. You are right in saying that FASS are better equipped in terms of documentation and infrastructure.

I suggest you to have your car check at Ramkay first and get the opinion on next course of action.
    1 person likes this.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    +1 to Ramesh. Take it to FASS. Outside mechanics have nearly zero experience with the 1.4 FIRE. They can mess with the 1.2 FIRE of the Punto but apart from oil/filter changes etc, I wouldn't want the outside mechanic to experiment with the 1.4. Especially if it is to diagnose some issue. When the Palio was relatively new, most mechanics who didn't know ABC about it would open it up and lead to snowballing of issues.

Cheers.
  6. Crazy_Eddy

Crazy_Eddy Novizio

Chennai
    Took it to Ramkay today. The ECU scanner reported an error code P0011 - something to do with camshaft overadvanced timing. Timing belt will be adjusted. It was replaced just last year, so I suppose Concorde did not install it correctly. If this doesn't reduce the noise, they say the head needs to be overhauled, and pistons need to be checked for any damage by the valves. Unfortunately the car ran out of extended warranty just a few months back, so Concorde is off the hook.

I asked him to adjust the tappet clearances, but he says its not manually adjustable. I hope he's not confused because the MJD engine has hydraulic tappets that are self adjusting. I believe some Fiat engines use 'shims' between the tappet clearances; not sure if thats what ours uses.

I'm actually a little confused about the 1.4 engine variant we have here in India. When I was trying the ELM327 scanner a few days back, it would only connect when we selected the 1.4 8V version, but the one here is supposed to be 16V. Also does ours have the camshaft variator? It looks like it does have the solenoid that controls it on the engine head.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    If Concorde screwed up on timing, it is FIAT's liability. I'd email Mangesh and request FIAT to foot the bill, if any repairs need to be carried out.
  8. Crazy_Eddy

Crazy_Eddy Novizio

Chennai
    Is Mangesh still the go-to guy at Fiat? I thought he would have gotten fed up and left by now after reading all our complaints :D
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  9. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Agree with gurjinder. First get a buy-in from Ramkay that it is the wrong timing work that is causing this issue and then email Mangesh.
  10. Crazy_Eddy

Crazy_Eddy Novizio

Chennai
    Ramkay Fiat says the timing belt adjustment was fine, so I guess I jumped the gun in accusing Concorde. They aren't sure what the issue is, so will be opening the head to have a look.

I'm just surprised that the valve tappet clearances are not adjustable, they say any adjustments with clearance can only be done by a lathe. Is it ok to do it with a lathe? I thought they weren't precise enough.