1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Best Driver's car

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by kedarbendre, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mayank

mayank Amatore

2. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Dont want to spark off a debate here,but most of us are being partial to the Punto here.
    Though i agree,steering feedback is amazing,and body roll is minimal,but taking overall FTD factor in mind,swift has a slight edge.
    The brilliant K series Motor can run circles around the Petrol Punto's and the Fiat's own MJD performs better in the swift.
    And swift isnt a bad handler either,it reacts more sharply to the steering inputs.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    ^^ No way. I had very good impression about the K series engine than the Fiat's Petrol until I got to experience the 1.4 Fire. Its absolutely amazing engine with super refinement. It's way way better than the 1.2 K. Regarding the MJD, it is a general perception created by a section of the media and some forums that MJD is better in Swift than Punto. But, IT IS NOT. Drive a Swift and Punto back to back and you will realize this.

Again, I am not trying to get into a debate here. Trying to clear some perceptions. :D
    1 person likes this.
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

I have driven a DDIS and a Punto MJD back to back
    And a K series swift and a FIRE Punto as well.
    Its not general perception by the Media or Forums,the gear ratios in the DDIS are better off for spirited driving.
    And Regarding the K series,it lacks low end torque,but is better off at higher revs,is quicker and more refined as well.
    PS:I own a Linea,and have never owned a swift(dont intend to either).
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Swift's light weight gives you feel of sudden surge and so called spirited drive experience.

Now this surge, spirited and charm of MJD from is completely gone and power delivery is linear as MSIL tuned new swift's engine for better FE.

if it comes to petrol engine then 1.4 engine wins here, have look of power output of FIRE and K series you will understand Akshay.

Swift has body role, poor breaking, less feedback from steering compared to Punto, small section tyre all this does not make Swift a best driver's car.
    2 people like this.
  6. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I dont understand why people go gaga over so called 'Spirited Swift'. Also guys, thing we generally miss is Punto's ability to mask speeds! Its simply phenomenal. For occupants, Swift appears very fast even at 100 kpmh giving an illusion. When am in Punto, even at 140s kmph feel so confident and hardly realize the speed till I look at the speedo! After getting used to Punto, when am in a Suzuki even 80 kmph scares the hell out of me!!! Thats FIAT for you! :D
    3 people like this.
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I completely agree withPunto_emotion. At speed more than 80kmph if feel scary in MSIL cars.
  8. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Very true! I have personally experienced this. When driving with family, in a Suzuki car, they used to bash me saying that am driving fast even though speedo used to read @ 80-90 kmph! But now when in Punto, even when am cruising at 120 kmph, no one ever complains because rear occupants hardly realize Punto's speed ! :evilsmile

OT: Its not only the best driver's car; also the best car for occupants in terms of masking speeds, absorbing bad patches at high speeds!
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  9. Swift DDIS is only good when you are riding in traffic,the turbo surge is excellent at speeds below 60...but after that its a whole different story,its no way close to Punto mjd...One more thing thats pretty annoying about swift is its ''excellent'' braking,if i see a hump or any obstacle some 200 metres away,I have to brake right then(at any speed),and it takes ages to stop(you can almost finish a power nap in the process)...When in case of Punto I tried the same skills I have learned from Swift,the car stops the moment I step on brakes...
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  10. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    If you calculate the power to weight ratio you can very well understand that punto is the best tuned with the Mjd. Despite Punto having this much weight, it is still able to give a decent mileage figure at par with a swift. Swift may be good in doing a faster 0-100, but again when it comes to in gear acceleration especially from 3rd gear Punto scores here. So unless we go in for a drag race, I think this is more than enough as in-gear acceleration is what we need when it comes to overtaking in a day to day life. I too agree with the illusion factor. I also felt that I was cruising at 100 + in a swift when the actual speed was only 70 + where as in a punto several times I felt like I was doing around 50-60 & only on hearing the speed buzzer which is set @ 80 will I come to know that I have crossed 80.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.