1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Beginning of a Torrid affair...the story of our Tjet

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by Volt, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Volt

Volt Novizio

Mumbai
    This is what I am talking about.
    IMG_1819.JPG WP_20131102_006.jpg IMG_1821.JPG

Before I begin, a prologue, with some redefinition of a few English words.
    emptiness(n): That feeling when your old car goes away and the new one is yet to occupy your garage.

nerve-wracking(adj): To drive your new car into peak-hour Mumbai (replace with any Indian city/town of your choice), with tempos, motors-cyclists, autorickshaws and every other vehicle in the universe out to get you!

Now to the story proper. We had a Maruti 800 5-speed which gave us stellar service for the past 11 years. She was bought pre owned from True Value and did her duties without complaint. An ideal car for the city, she was light, had incredibly direct go-kart like steering and had a willing engine which could take the fight to much larger cars, atleast in the city. I likened her to a mongoose, which has an incredible spirit and can take on much larger animals. I did not want to let her go, but she was beginning to show her age and lack of parking meant that I was left with little choice. The deal being offered by Fiat was good and in this case the head won. It is just as well that I wasn't around when they came to take her away, could not have seen her going. So long friend, you will be missed.
    We did have a used 118 NE before that for a year, but that did have its fair share of troubles. It was fun to drive and had a superb gearbox (the best I have experienced on any Indian car to date) but the expenses did not justify us holding on to it. What it did help was me getting used to the Italian ergonomics (short hands-long legs) which was to come handy 12 years later. No experience in life is wasted .

While I was toying with the idea of replacing our M800, but financial commitments meant that could not really go in for much more than a slightly bigger hatch. I would loved to have picked up the Tjet last year itself, but that was not to be. The opportunity presented itself again this year after Fiat relaunched the Jet and we went ahead and booked one on Dusshera day this year. The only Fiat dealer in town was in Thane, but as luck would have it ads for a new Fiat dealer i.e., Torrid Motors started appearing around the Ganapati festival and being close to where we stay we decided to go with them. Now I am a guy who researches everything down to the last detail. This case was a big exception. No test drive of this car or any other car, nothing. The only decision to be made was the variant. Having gone with the heart so far, that was also easy, the Emotion it would be.

The sales team at Torrid lead by Mr. Zain is quite enthusiastic and stuck to their committment of delivery by Diwali. Their stockyard is in Vasai and the PDI there was quickly despatched. Mr. Zain is quite aware of Team Fiat and kept mentioning the 'tijori' like build that he heard from a member here. They were straightforward in their dealing and I was offered the usual mats, cover and flaps as free accessories. I declined the cover and managed a better deal on the reverse sensors. Thanks to the members here for helping me decided on the sensors, they are really useful.

The car was delivered on Dhan Teras, 1st of November. The delivery was to be at their service facility which they presently share with VW and Nissan (as members have reported they will have their Fiat facility in Andheri (E) in the near future) at 5. We reached slightly before that and all the formailites were handled quickly by Ms Seema.

IMG_1809.JPG IMG_1815.JPG IMG_1816.JPG
    They organised a puja and a cake cutting ceremony for us, which was really sweet of them. We really felt special. Thank you Mr. Zain and team. We were out by 5.30 pm and thats when the nerve -wracking part came in.

In the excitement, we could not take very many pcitures and some of those that follow have been taken over the next two days. Please pardon the picture quality, as I have nowhere near the photography skill levels that most members here do.
    IMG_1820.JPG
    IMG_1822.JPG
    IMG_1823.JPG
    The heart of the matter. Hot air wont get you very far, but in this case it does!!
    IMG_1829.JPG IMG_1828.JPG

Interior quality is good.
    IMG_1834.JPG IMG_1835.JPG IMG_1827.JPG IMG_1826.JPG
    The humongous boot. Fiat hasn't skimped on the sound deadening material.
    IMG_1839.JPG
    Initial driving impressions.
    I have driven her 60 odd km in the city so far, so my impressions are limited to this experience. Coming from a 800 and to a certain extent my sister's Toyota Liva and a colleagues Wagon-R CNG, I couldn't really notice the 'lag' that many have talked about. Maybe Fiat has indeed tuned the 2013 jets for a linea(r) (couldnt resist that!) delivery. The ergonomics are also fine and did not require much adaptation. She rides really well and most potholes and other irregularities are handled with a muted thud. Have not tried any cornering at speed so far, so its really too early to comment on the handling part. The steering is a delight and feels wonderfully connected to the road.
    IMG_1836.JPG
    Its also too early to ask the all important 'kitna-deti-hai' question.

The footwell is a bit cramped compared to other cars that I have driven, but not too much of a bother.
    IMG_1830.JPG
    Rear sear room is acceptable.
    IMG_1832.JPG
    I have a few questions for the team members. The parking we have is open and thus prone to bird droppings. Do I need to get any paint protection or some such thing done? There is some black brake dust on the alloys, which I think is normal, is that so? I am trying to follow the 1 minute idle rule, any other suggestions.

One final reason why we went in for her. She is made in Ranjangaon, the home of Mahaganapati and came with his blessings.
    WP_20131102_007.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    21 people like this.
  2. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Congrats on the Jet, Volt! Wishing you happy mile munching.

I have one question. The sticker on the rear windshield reads "Torred Motors", while in the first pic and on the registration plate it is "Torrid Motors". From the pics I have seen on the forum, the name of the dealership is Torrid motors. Is the name on the sticker a typo?

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Volt

Volt Novizio

Mumbai
    @prakhar, thank you for the wishes. You do have a sharp eye for detail! One of my friends had also noticed the same. I think 'Torred' is a typo, though I have noticed it on some of their visiting cards also. They probably have to get some of their systems in place, but they make up with their enthusiasm.
  4. SOOZ_P

SOOZ_P Regolare

BANGALORE
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Congrats Volt. White Linea looks stunning. Wish you many munching miles.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  5. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
    Congrats!volt.
    lines in white is awesome.
    i think its long armed and short legged Italians.
    1 person likes this.
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Congratulations and best wishes, Volt. Explore and enjoy your Linea T-Jet.

No need. Just wash and maintain. However, protect her from rats. Please visit here for more useful information.

Absolutely normal.
  7. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    Congrats Volt she looks great in white, hope you have many happy miles ahead. As Ravi sir has mentioned brake dust is perfectly normal and cleaning the alloys makes for a very good work out :) . Please do check the tire pressure if you haven't done so already, dealers usually over inflate the tires.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Hi-Volt! ;) Wish you many linea(r) happy miles year on year !
  9. Volt

Volt Novizio

Mumbai
    @SOOZ_P, thank you for the wishes.
    @linealover, thank you and oops my bad. I meant long arms and short legs, probably the long travel clutch was playing on my mind.
    @J Ravi, thank you Sir for your wishes and clarifications. Your travelogues have been an inspiration. We hope we can do Ladakh one day, in our Linea, just as you did.
    @flywheel, thank you for the wishes and the tire tip. Your OB Linea looks gorgeous.
    @asimpleson, thank you for the wishes.
    3 people like this.
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    congrats on the tjet :)
    As linealover already pointed out, its the other way round. italians have long hands and short legs :)