1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Beginner User Experience on Punto MJD

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by cannonera, Mar 5, 2012.

1. cannonera

cannonera Amatore

Bangalore
    Hi,

I am a beginner in car driving, and own a 1.3 MJD, I am listing few of my observations and habits in car usage. Done around 200 Kms till date. Any tips to maintain the car and also driving it better are most Welcome....
    • The "H" in the odometer disappears after 200 Kms.
    • Very Short 2nd gear and an even shorter 1st. But great torque in both these gears. I use the Handbrake-Gear-Accelerator method for climbing inclines, almost always accomplished in first gear.
    • I maintain rpm's below 2000 and try not to exceed 60-70 kmph.
    • Follow the 'Start Idle' and 'Stop Idle' for a minute.
    • Following the Full Clutch Depress method for Starting...
    • Almost missed a person walking from my right ahead of me in a signal, couldn't sight because of A-Pillar, any tips to overcome this...
    • Currently keeping the AC in Level 2, I have seen in reviews that the AC is very good, does normal city drive require the AC to be in Level 2?
    • Doing only a plain water wash, can you suggest any product for basic car care.
    I have a small confession to make, got the car to skim/scratch its engine compartment yesterday, felt bad for it :-(

Looking to take the car for a long drive around Bangalore over the weekend, plan to be back the same day... Can you suggest anything suitable...

Regards,
    Hari
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Maintaining the RPM below 2000 is really not mandatory. There is no run-in required for the modern cars. What you may need to ensure is that accelerate slowly to go higher speeds instead of hard acceleration.

Start Idle is also not recommended. You can keep moving your car slowly soon after starting it. Stop Idle for 1 minute is fine.
    1 person likes this.
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    its a good habit to look through the window glass at such places to avoid a-pillar problems. especially when taking right turns.
    For car care, i use a car wash shampoo once a week. for rest of the days i keep my car dust free by using jopasu car duster. its really good. additionally any good car wax can be used once a month to keep it shining.
    1 person likes this.
  4. singh

singh Amatore

Mohali
    U have to form habit of looking out from mirror behind blind spot , not only Punto Every car has problem of A pillar when new person drives for fisrt few hundered kms . After santro i had prob with swift and got comfortable in a few days.
    Listen to the engine sounds , just dont put pressure , play smooth with gears and accelerator , as its new car to u also with in 1000 kms u will be comfortable with everything .
    1 person likes this.
  5. Anish_A

Anish_A

Bangalore
    Hi Hari

You should have reset the H meter b4 200 ............:)

"A" pillar is alwayz a problem in almost all vehicles. u just need to learn to handle it effectively.
    This will eveantually come in time and you would realise that 'A" pillar is never a problem.

Njoy ur ride As for cominmg back the same day you can just toch "yercaud" n drop down.

Remember it has 9 pin-head curves u might want to take a friend or someone along.

or just drive to Krishnagiri or dharmapuri or mysore or chikamangalur all in and around 300 km.

Anish
    1 person likes this.
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^small correction, not that it matters much but still. Yercaud climb has 20 hairpin bends! :)
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Cannonera, a brand new car & driving it is feeling like 100s of butterflies in the stomach. Try to be as easy as possible.
    For A-Pillar, try to rearrange your seating position like front/back sliding, steering column as high as possible so that you come closer to the windshield & even seat-height adjustment to compensate that. Just be careful, not extra careful. What i have noticed, one only manages a drive below his true potential with too much care. Just drive like you have been driving your old car.

I would instead recommend something else. Never forget to check your coolant level/engine oil/brake oil/steering oil during first 2 months at least. MJD's are little cubs growling behind dashboards of Punto/linea & are unbelievably sturdy but lapse here would be fatal even to such advanced engines. You could reduce the freq. later on to a week or so. The objective is to ensure in case, there is any manufacturing defect with Radiator/oil seals or bla bla, it could be spotted out at an early stage before it causes some serious damage to this brilliant piece of machine. It won't be headache like Chinese stuff when you go over potholes, emergency brake, sudden turns & whatever hell you throw at it. It won't ditch you ever, take my words!!

For rest of the stuff, there are different beliefs that auto enthusiasts maintain. From Fiat's perspective, nothing is recommended except "pressing clutch before you crank the engine". I follow idling procedure when day is finished but not during start-up at all. Just don't demand extra when it is cold during morning start-up & for initial 3-4 kms. As soon as the temperature needle hits mid mark, there you go:bye!
    Have loads of nice time in your punto.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Anish_A

Anish_A

Bangalore
    OH yeah ..............Missed that thanks for Reminding @ shams :)

9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Actually run-in is required for every brand new car. Its just not the engine, but transmission , seals, bearings, suspensions everything that needs to settle in.
    thats why its very good practice to observe run in and drive smooth for initial 1000 kms atleast.
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

If we go pseudo scientific way, a metal especially iron is forged by exposure to 2 different extreme temperatures. Make it hot red in Fire & then dip it in ice (Pls refer to remake of movie Conan the barbarian-2012:D).

I tried to follow that. As soon as i got the delivery, i took it on NH_8 & had it @175 for 10 mins continuously. Parked it at a nearby Dhaba at Bhiwadi, had a cold drink & few puffs, cooled it down & then left for home. At the 1st service, ABS Gurgaon advisor was confused that my 90 HP seems to maintain better acceleration than the other ones. Not only this, when i went there 15 days back for some krr krr noise in driver side window, he test drove it again. He asked, did i replace new filters & had my 2nd service earlier@12000 KMs. Acceleration was quite brisk. Obviously i didn't & will do it sharp@15000 kms.

Next day i took out the air filter, gave rs. 20 to a Chaiwala-Chotu to get it cleaned with compressed air at a nearby workshop. I could see the a mini vortex of dust created from 200 feet away. Put it back & i feel it really fast now!
    I think when we talk about run in, it has to be exposure to the max. & min. limits instead of minimum only. It's quite popular too among auto communities where they rip apart their brand new vehicle & especially racing bikes. Whatever, that has been my belief & i am happy with the decision.
    1 person likes this.