1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Battery Voltege & charging voltege

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by bhai, Sep 9, 2012.

1. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi

I checked battery voltege with multimeter.
    When I checked voltege at engine off with whole night stop it is 12.5 v

At idle rpm battery voltege should go upto 14.6 v at idle rpm.
    But it is not ready to go beyond 13.8 or 13.9.

Is it normal or weak alternator?
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  2. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Are you facing any problems? Also, where is it mentioned that the charging voltage should be 14.6 volts?

My view is that if you are not facing any issue then you should probably not bother about this as this could also be a multimeter calbration issue
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    As always, there is no issue.

The readings are perfectly normal and indicate a healthy battery and a healthy charging system.

Thank you and have a nice day.
  4. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Sometime my headlight fluctuates unnecessarily even I don't switch on any additional electric equipment.

As per service mannual of mostly 2 & 4 wheelers shows charging voltege should be 14.4 to 14.6 v.
    I repeat service mannual not owners' mannual.

My Kinetic Nova,Kinetic flyte,Pulsar 220 & Swift Dzire shows charging voltege 14.4 to 14.6.
    Only my MJD is showing 13.8 v. That's why I am asking.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    That's normal. No issues there.

That is comparing Apples to Oranges. If you want to compare, compare another Punto or a Linea.
  6. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    bhai,

I would suggest you just enjoy Punto without doing all these experiments. Leave those to the technical guys only when you face issues. But till then, just enjoy THE Punto. Have many long drives. It's the right season. Weather is good in Maharashtra. Just enjoy & chill. I also have many grouses but that's a separate discussion but till then........just enjoy......
  7. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Bhai,
    Please check the multimeter readings during ignition.
    If that drops means your battery needs to charged properly from a battery charging shop.
    Because during ignition, battery is getting drained day by day more than other activities.