1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Battery upgrade

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by amolmane, Oct 22, 2010.

1. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    Guys the OE battery in Punto MJD is Exide DIN50 MF. I called up the amaron guys. they say the one for Punto MJD from Amaron is DIN 44.

Anybody have any idea about the ratings of Amaron Din 44 battery?
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    TFIan Axn is running the baap of all batteries ( Big daddy of all batteries) in his Punto.

The Optima Red Top.

In my opinion , the greatest battery ever in India. ( 7 years and still running strong in our Ford+Toyota "hybrid" :D)
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My MJD have 44Ah Battery, and if you see previous page, others also says that they have 44Ah battery as well.

Can you check and post picture of your current battery sticker.
  4. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Our Palio's stock Exide battery lasted 7 years. Replaced it with Exide Maintainence-Free, going strong since the last 2 years.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  5. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    I never mentioned the AH rating. I specified just the model :). DIN 50 MF. Can you just check the model no on the side of the battery???

From where to get the optima red top??
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I will.
    I thought AH and DIN are same things :eek:.
  7. Guru.... any idea of the rate???
  8. gurjinder

Punjab
    I'll have to ask Axn ( Vijayant Sir) for the exact price, but IIRC it was around Rs.7500 or so. The availability is limited now. Earlier we could get it in Chandigarh, now i reckon only in Delhi and few other places.

Cheers.
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    where did you get this almighty battery. i havent seen it in the market yet.
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    Years ago Amaron launched it as a tie up with Optima. The one i have was installed in ~2005. And i can assure you, in our car it has not been used, but it has been ABUSED for the past 7 years and still going strong.

Hardly anyone bought it then because of the huge price difference between the Optima and other brands. So they fizzled out in India. BUT, these batteries were worth every penny we spent on them.

6-7 months back, Axn asked me which battery to go for. I said if you can find Optima Red Top, then you won't need another battery for a long, long time. He did find one in Delhi and had it installed in his Punto. :)

The Red Top is usually used where the engines draw a LOT of starting current. Like older diesel engines. Compared to that , the 1.3 Multijet is a baby for these Red Tops. Yellow Tops are used where a lot of accessories are fitted on the vehicle.

Here is what the Red Top in our Ford+Toyota starts on a daily basis. A 1990 Toyota 2400cc Turbodiesel. I'll post a cold-start video one day to show how easy this thing starts, compared even to the Multijet. Here's a video of the engine running ( The Red Top is slightly visible in the bottom right).

Cheers.

P.S. You can install the Red Top in almost any position you like. Vertical , sideways, even upside down.:D