1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Battery upgrade

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by amolmane, Oct 22, 2010.

1. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    OEM battery lasted 3 years and 2 months on my Punto diesel. I changed it again to a 50Ah exide ( 18 months warranty) that's been in use for around 2 years and 3 months. It's now showing signs of weakening with Airbag failure messages and slow cranking. I don't have any extra electricals , sometimes use the battery port to charge my mobile.

Any recommendations on a long lasting battery ? Are Exide batteries designed to conk off after the warranty expires ?
  2. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Is the upgrade from stock 50Ah to 55Ah / 60Ah worth the price? (without addition of power hungry equipment)
    As I see that the battery should be 100% charged (most of the time) ,just before next cranking.
    IMO, once the car is started , Alternator supplies power to all equipment and charges the battery simultaneously.(Load is shared across both)
    So I doubt if the battery will be 100% charged during short city rides and stop and go traffic.
    Maintaining the battery charge partially would eventually degenerate it.

Lets say , I cranked the car and drove it for 20 mins before stopping. ( Cranking consumes most amps and battery gets some amount back during this 20mins drive)

Say a 50Ah battery gets back to 85% charged on this 20mins drive.
    Then the chances of charging back 55Ah and 60Ah batteries will less than 85% in the same place.

Kindly share your thoughts on this, this will help many to choose the correct replacement, which will save spending on a higher Ampere battery, if 50Ah will do the job.
  3. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    just upgraded to SF sonic DIN 60. working amazingly well. worth the money spend. wont ever go near exide. that conks off the moment you complete your warranty
  4. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    There is no point in upgrading to a bigger battery if you don't have any aftermarket equipment needing a stronger battery. A bigger battery costs more (hits the pocket), weights more (hits mileage) and takes more resources (resource wastage - 5 DIN60 ~= 6 DIN50 - one more battery with the same resources). A bigger battery will also have more self discharge, but we don't need to worry about it practically because it is negligible.

Say, car needs 25 amps for 2 seconds to crank. No matter whether it is 50 AH or 60 AH battery, it takes the same amount of current and time to start the car. Because of that it takes the same amount of time to charge back. Therefore a bigger battery will not be under charged. Bigger battery has other disadvantages (see in the beginning of this post). But that holds good for anything - unnecessarily bigger anything has disadvantages. Americans who believed bigger is better have learnt from their mistake!
    asimpleson likes this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Even abroad @RaviHegde it is not too uncommon to have more than one alternator or an extra deep cycle marine battery for that extra amp requirement. Many professional ICE installers use it.

So yes what you say is correct, uprating does not necessarily serve purpose in majority of cases and poses significant risks to a car's electrical and components which are designed to operate on a specific rating. The extra weight too is surely a factor.
  6. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Mine OEM battery is still running fine and its being 3.5 yrs. Please suggest should i go for new or stay till it dies.

P.S. I haven't got any crank issue or any other issue relate to battery till now
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Hi @aashish_19,

Use it for as long as it works. If in doubt about battery issues, always check on Fiat examiner for core battery voltage after you check it on an external battery tester device. In prolonged non-use of car, always a good idea to remove the negative terminal wire, saves battery and components from malfunction.

No need to spend now, unless your battery becomes unreliable or is on a confirmed path of dying in future.
  8. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    When & How much did you pay for SF Sonic DIN60 and did you exchange it for your old battery ( is your old battery DIN50?).
    Were you able to see any significant change over Exide/ Amaron
    Guess every one will notice big change when a new battery is replaced with old one, but is SF sonic better when compared to Exide and Amaron.
  9. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    i picked up SF Sonic DIN 60 from its authorised dealer in Kochi for 4600/- this was after i gave away my EX-(freaking)-IDE OEM one for exchange. DIN 60 is what can be accommodated in FIAT linea. Massive difference during start is observed. no more a laboured start.. quick crank and no excessive voltage drop seen. Have an Aftermarket ICE in my car. used to switch off due to voltage drop while starting with my previous exide. it doesnt do that anymore. Additionally, all people saying about additional weight.. its of the order of 1-4 kg difference depending on the brand. 2 bottles of coke/ or water will be as heavy.. or a few litres of fuel. No OFFENCE, but excess weight is the Lamest/stupidest excuse that one can give. it aint a formula one car nor a drag racer.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 12, 2015 ---
    As far as i have seen and researched, exide is the worst. Amaron and SF were on the same level, though, customer support and dealer's behaviour in letting me know of all the nuances of the battery swung my opinion towards SF.
  10. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys, who bought sf sonic and amaron in recent days, How many years warranty are you getting? are they giving only 1.5 years , for diesel cars? And is SF Sonic a premium brand of Exide itself?