1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Battery upgrade

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by amolmane, Oct 22, 2010.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Can you figure it out on your own, cause I maybe able to suggest something here.

:p heartsent for our mutual benefit .. !
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Soory. I am did not get what do you mean?

- - - Merged Post - - -

Sorry I did not get what do you mean.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Sorry. I did not get what do you mean
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I am simply asking that I could suggest you to run some tests, should you be willing to or you have something else in mind to do before that with the alternator and battery etc.? In short what exactly are your thoughts now to proceed with so I can post a reply accordingly.
  4. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Simpleson

Alternator is new one replacment in ext.warrantee. I shall visit ASS to recheck it.
    Even new part may be faulty.
    Recently I had got warrantee replacement of battery of my Pulsar 220 Fi.
    Replaced battery was also faulty. So Exide gave again replacement.

Before visiting Fiat ASS please suggest me some tests if you have any.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Idle Current Draw ..

Ok, here is the procedure..

1) You will need a brand new battery in full charge state, that shows current 12.5 atleast when idle (ask battery dealer to put in new battery for checking). Existing battery even if new but slightly drained can give wrong current readings.

2) You will need to connect only the postive connection of the battery to the battery cable. Leave the negative connection cable open. You will need a digital multimeter that has dial for 200mA and max 20A current rating.

3) You will need to perform this test after the car is switched off for atleast 2-3hrs. You will need to keep the bonnet opened and shut all other car lights (door switch etc.), making sure boot light etc. all are off.

4) Set the multimeter to max DC current mode of 10 or 20 depending on multimeter. Now take the positive terminal of digital multimeter and connect to the removed negative terminal cable. And connect the negative multimeter pin to the -ve battery lead. Check the current and if it is more than 50mA like 2 or 3A etc. then your car may have some device that is drawing excessive current. If and once this is established you can start removing each fuse in the bonnet fuse box and check that the voltage drops to a much lower value. That is the faulty current draw which needs to be fixed.

5) If voltage drop is not seen, remove the multimeter first. Then Open the door and slide down the windows. Close the doors. Open below dash driver side fuse box. Ask some expert electrician to connect and hold the multimeter again as in previous instruction and start pulling out each fuse again. After each fuse you will need to ask if the current drops to 0.01-0.02 or 0.03 value etc. Try all fuses one by one first. Alternatively, the same could be tried with the relays also.

This will establish if there is any current draw in the car and hopefully fix your charging and voltage readings also.

Disclaimer..: Please take professional car electricians help since something shorting out or blowing off can always be a posibility even if a slight mistake happens.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanx ! I will check.
    I had a multimeter but recently I lost it. I will buy new one & check it.

But this test seems for current drop when engine is OFF. One relay is also emintting noise.
    ASS have not solved noisy relay. I will ask them to check at next visit.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes, incidentally me too can't find the multimeter I had bought a few years back. Ofcourse it was a very cheapo digital multimeter with not a lots of options.

You may want to run the test before changing the relay, instead of changing the relay first. That way you can know if the relay was a definite problem.

Check out Ravi Hegde's post incase you haven't. He installed an OMRON relay, that is better than the older types provided by Fiat. You can install a similar relay with matching terminals.

Just checked, proper type like the Meco Multimeters are costing about 2.5-4k online. Maybe you could borrow one from somewhere.

meco.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yesterday at late evening my Sukam inverter failed due to some internal short-circuit.
    Checked fuse. Fuse was not only blown but also fuse holder melted.
    So big fault was there.

Service center was closed & next day was sunday.
    It was an emergency. So I brought new Home UPS-cum-inverter of Exide 850 VA.
    It has LCD display showing line voltage and charging voltage also.

After replacing I knew that it was good that I replaced inverter.
    Old one Sucam was working but internal transformer was became weak.
    It was giving low AC voltage.Charging of Sukam was also very much slow than Exide.

Observed charging of Exide home UPS. It started with 14.2 volt from 9 p.m.
    After 8.00 a.m. charging completed. Now it is showing constant charging at 13.7 Volt.

Means my alternator also seems OK. It also charge from 14.2 Volt at cold start.
    After running of 40-50 km it gives 13.7 Volt.

Only doubt is that when I give load of all accessories it doesn't maintain 14 Volt
    like my relative's 1.4 Linea & my Maruti SX4.

I mean 13.7 without load is right. But there should be rise in charging voltage
    as per rise in load of accessories
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Regulation of voltage is controlled internally or externally by voltage regulator on an alternator.
    IMHO, in Valeo it is mounted in a plastic casing outside the alternator on its side.

There is again regulation via ECU in some cars, but I am not sure if and how Fiat implements it. :confused:
  10. spvaidya

spvaidya Amatore

Kalyan, Mumbai
    Hello Everyone,
    Posting after very looooooooong gap……. But following quite occasionally.

My Sept'2010 MJD shows car-lock (Car protection) signal most of the time and FSS has diagnosed it as a battery issue. Also, once it responded very strangely and did not start-up for 30 min on a highway.:(

Am planning to replace the battery today 23June'14 and still confused :confused: on the Ah parameter for the new battery as FSS has quoted me TATA Green with 60Ah capacity,
    same as AMARON website recommends 60Ah when I try to buy one online.

Exide dealer (referring this application book), on the other hand has proposed 50Ah one with a choice of 60Ah Mileage.

I don’t have any extra electric accessories installed other than Central lock and Music system.

Any experiences/advise and adverse effect particularly on Ah (55 or 60) part.

Shashank