1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Battery upgrade

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by amolmane, Oct 22, 2010.

1. fernandeskaran

fernandeskaran Amatore

Mumbai, Maharashtra
    Mumbai Suburban
    Linea 1.3
    It varies on your useage. Like my car runs about 50kms every day. i changed my battery about 6 months after I started getting the warnings. thats when the OE battery gave up completely
  2. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    Thanks karan.. my running is around 15-20kms on weekdays and 40-45kms on weekend.. I hope it lasts 5-6 months

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
  3. fernandeskaran

fernandeskaran Amatore

Mumbai, Maharashtra
    Mumbai Suburban
    Linea 1.3
    I wouldnt recommend pulling on for that long you can always risk getting stranded that way. Maybe in a month or two u could consider a change :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
  4. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    In my case, it did not...A couple of months was the maximum. It came to a point when i had to switch off the music system and ensure no light are burning( including brake lights.) and then crank the car to start it. Now that battery is doing duty is an UPS and its happily running a couple of fans for couple of hours :p

Agreed. Infact, sooner the better. Actually, the best option is to start hunting for the right battery. If you are changing at the last moment, then there are all the chances that we might need to cough up more money for the battery due to urgency and the battery dealers will also understand that and will not be ready negotiate much since you cannot go hunting for shops when your ride is already down due to the damn battery
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  5. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Somewhere I read running on a low battery puts stress on alternator and it heats up more , and that is a costly part.
    Better not waste time when you know the battery is weak.
    2 people like this.
  6. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    It is better to change the battery when the OBD indicates to change. In my case my vehicle completed just 3 years exactly. The low battery indicator was cleared twice at Service station. Third time i just went and changed it.

One observation here, battery manufacture date said battery was 4 years old :), my vehicle is 3 years old
  7. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    I noticed that in my case if I run the car for 10+ kms next cranking does not say airbag failure but daily morning the error msg is a routine since last week...I will buy the one in a months time

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
  8. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Shashank, I ran with that airbag message for about 9 months. It used to come off and on, and had started to come exactly at the first crank of the day everyday and that's it. It would at times come sometime after staying idle for 2-3 hours as well. I changed to Amaron Flo DIN66 last November.
  9. cgujral

cgujral Amatore

Delhi
    New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    I suggest one never know what effect the low battery would be causing on the equipments, they might not work when needed. So its better to change the battery as you get these messages...In my case i changed it to DIN 55 and all messages & warning signs were gone...
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    That's correct. When the examiner (diagnostic computer) is connected on-board, it shows a parameter of lower voltage, which is more accurate that the battery is not providing enough voltage.

Recently another TFIan had reported the same issue and it was diagnosed to be a weak battery. Initially, road side battery vendors suggested that the battery is OK. Even people at a Fiat ASCs were not conclusive of this classic problem.

He got a replacement Exide Matrix battery after it was confirmed by EXIDE themselves that the battery indeed had issues though not detected easily by their handheld battery voltmeters.
    1 person likes this.