1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Battery upgrade

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by amolmane, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Amit - I was quoted 5.3k for Flo DIN 55Ah Amaron battery and I think 5k for DIN50. But it was in Delhi.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Does Amaron have a service like BATMOBILE of Exide. I have an Exide Matrix in my 2003 Siena Diesel which died due to some alternator issue. They replaced it free of charge in warranty.
  3. amit1agrawal

amit1agrawal Amatore

Bangalore
    In thier website they claim to have mobile service as well (Amaron - Services). Regarding BATMobile, I have read both good and bad reviews.
    The service technician was recommending Exide but team-bhpians in general prefer Amaron.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
  5. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    Linea 1.4 Emotionally Packed 2010 Feb - OEM Exide died a slow death, it started around may 2013 - first MiD errors - airbag failure, immobilizer light on, then the big issue - crank problem. Crank problem became worse by months. In the end, it wont crank if ac/any electical equipment was on during cranking. I took a few chances, did a couple of long drives but once in a while the crank would fail and look on my family's faces were that of outrage. (You-were-responsible-for-sinking-titanic look :mad:)

The strange behavior is - when I run the car for 3-4 hours @ 100Km/h avg and switch off for 2 mins, then crank it, it fails. If I park the car for 1 month and crank it, it does crank on 1st attempt. It somehow defies my logic. Can anyone explain how can this happen?

So finally made-up my mind to replace the passionately hated (in this forum & tbhp) OEM Exide with Amaron Flo 545106036 spec says 45Ah (1Ah upgade... silly). I must say, I was swayed to amaron based on comments by tfiatians. Also because of its Indian founding. Somewhere I read they manufacture for Bosch and Tata Green. (Not Sure)

Selection process:
    Called up a exclusive exide dealership, he gave a 15 mins gyan on Exide, the best battery on earth theory. So asked him, how is it superior. His answer was thats why 70% OEMs use it. And logic 2 was its warranty has increased from 18 to 24 months. I am in product industry, I know how OEMs choose manufacturers. I also know the warranty scams. Did'nt sound promising.
    Called up another exide dealership, but this guy deals with amaron aswell. Asked him which he recommends, Answer: Exide, because its the oldest battery company sir.. (Read: I have more margin sir) Did'nt sound promising again.
    Called another Amaron dealer - Asked for Amaron, price was quoted 100 higher, when I showed the competition, he matched the price. He came home, installed the battery, took back the beloved old one. I was surprised to see a black box instead of Amaron signature green. He said DIN batteries are now black color. Can members confirm? Hence, finally to my family's relief, my italian beauty has a new energy store. I hope this better lasts long, really long, TING TONG.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    No clue what could be the reason for this behavior. I had been through this same scenario a year back, That was when I replaced my battery after three years of service.
    Service centres called this phenomenon "hot-start " problem, may be just to name it.
    1 person likes this.
  7. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    @fiatlover
    Which exact battery did you replace it with? How is the performance after that?
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I went for exide again. That was one and a half year back and no issues faced till date. The factory-fitted battery lasted more than three years. Though many people say Exide is bad, my experience has been good.
    I had exide in my Pulsar. When the original one lasted for five years, the replaced Amaron died in in the 31st month or so, just a month after the warranty expired. Because of the prorata-based warranty, I had to pay half the price and buy a new one, Amaron again.

With prorata-based warranty, you are forced to stick with the brand if it dies with in the warranty period. That is, if the battery has five years warranty, and it dies in the third year, you have to stick to them to get the prorara "benefit", which in turn forces you to continue with an "unreliable" brand for another five years (with the replaced one)!
  9. nehamit

nehamit Timido

Ahmedabad
    My Linea MJD (Feb 2009) Gets New Powerhouse - AMARON FLOW DIN66

So after about 3 months of hide and seek game by the original Exide battery, it decided to stop working yesterday and I started looking for the new battery. It is exactly 4 years, 10 months and 4 days that the original battery worked which had Nov2008 as date of manufacturing.
    Went through this thread, discussed with Amaron distributor, decided to go for AMARON FLO (AAM-FL-566112060). The price I paid is Rs.6200 (with exchange of old battery) having MRP of Rs.7756.00.
    Will update after a while about the performance and experience.
  10. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    @nehamit
    Which color is the battery casing? Mine was black, initially I suspected because, Amarons were always green. But he explained all DIN batterties now comes with black casing. I was a bit worried, whether it is original or not. But he gave a warranty card, bill everything fine.