1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Battery upgrade

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by amolmane, Oct 22, 2010.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Honestly, they are talking out of their arse.

OCV - Open circuit voltage
    HRD - High Rate Discharge

See below table - I have highlighted your range

Battery test.JPG

If voltage at crank is indeed 9.5, the battery is in good shape. There is no need for even a HRD test. Nothing to worry about

Rajan
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Rajan :) I really appreciate your efforts to clarify queries from people who do not have much technical knowledge like me.
  3. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    My punto was showing the lock sign frm past 1.5month.
    Today replaced the battery to Amaron Flo DIN 55 got frm th place Ravi had refered.
    Santhosh (siliconsphere) malleshwaram.
    Quote: 5900/-
    Paid 5500/-
  4. Sathish_UPS

Sathish_UPS Novizio

Bangalore
    My Punto started showing Lock sign for past 2 days. Replaced today with AMARON-FLO DIN-66 for 5800/-. Look & size wise it’s exactly similar to DIN-55.

BatteryBhai Quoted 5900 for AAM-FL-566101060 where the MRP shows 6750.00/-
    I was able to get AAM-FL-566112060 for 5800 [Including delivery @ your place with fitting charges] where the MRP shows as 6903.00/-

BatteryBhai executive suggested me that 'AAM-FL-566101060' & 'AAM-FL-566112060' are same. Only nomenclature is different. Though I couldn't understand what actually he meant, I was keen on 'AAM-FL-566112060' as DIN-55 ordered by our fellow member MANU is 'AAM-FL-566112055'

BatteryBhai executive told me that AMARON may reject battery warranty on any issues, if I use 60Ah battery in Punto. That’s why they have not listed 60Ah battery for PUNTO diesel & gave some reason which I couldn’t understand as that was too technical.
  5. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Heading towards "BB" to get an Amaron 55AH for my Linea. She is just throwing all kinds of symtoms and begging for attention. :(
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    One day last week, I got the dreaded "Airbag Failure" message. This prompted me to check the battery and I noticed some amount of corrosion, which resulted in the battery getting a good clean up, as posted in the DIY section. The message did not come back. When tested with a multimeter, the battery shows 12.3 V, with engine turned off and rested for a good 8-10 hours. Shows 9.6 V at cranking and 14.4 V with the engine running. Hope the issue was related only to the corrosion and the battery will last for some more time.

Having said that, I think I will also start researching for a replacement. From the many reviews by fellow TFIans, appears that Amaron has quite a big fan following and Exide appears to be the most hated. So, should I go with Amaron? Also, the present OE Exide battery is 50 Ah. Should I stick with that, or should I upgrade to 55 Ah or 60 Ah? What are the benefits and what are the risks?

Inputs please.

Rajan
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    From what i know thats a low voltage, anything below 10 at crank is bad
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My OE Exide lasted for 3+ years, and Amaron is going great from last 1 year.
    But overall, on internet, Amaron seems to be more preferred than Exide.
    If you have not put any extra electrical items and not intend to put, then OE 50Ah is more than sufficient.
    Taking 55 or 60 will not harm anything.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Rajan,
    When you say corrosion do you mean the corrosion around battery terminals?
    Last week my mechanic applied red colored grease around battery terminals.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030D using Tapatalk 4
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    All the voltages you mention are fine as of yet. I believe yours is a 2011? The battery should last much more yet, even if we factor in the "idle" stage of the car before you purchased it.

Think of 50-55-60 as capacities of a water bucket in litres. A 60 litre bucket can supply water for a longer duration than the 50 litre one. That's the only difference. A 60Ah battery can provide the same level of juice to the starter for a longer duration than the 50Ah one - a scenario which is not needed in the case of a petrol engine, especially a low compression petrol engine. These things start with a slap to the flywheel :D

What is more important are the cranking amps of the battery. Higher the better. A battery of X brand can well have higher cranking amps than a battery of Y brand. Like the legendary Optima batteries. Pity no one appreciated them in India.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.