1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Battery upgrade

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by amolmane, Oct 22, 2010.

1. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    amarons are really good. they last really long
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I had replaced OE batteries Exide and Standard Furukawa in my previous vehicles after 6 years in MS Omni and 4 years in MS Versa respectively.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Wow ! But we should not use any battery more than 3 years.

Because any battery which is giving service more than 3 years, is dangerous on remote highways.

we should concentrate on following points also.

1) Brightness of headlight
    2) Power of Starter (Torque of starter motor - Weak battery can crank the engine but not effectively as new one)
    3) Old battery can fail without giving any warning. & if you are in any remote area then God save you.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    No such issues if the battery is a quality product.

I am using Optima Red Top for the past 7 years. One of the best batteries ever launched in India, but died out due to lack of customer interest. It was too pricey.
    ashish27 likes this.
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    But what about 1) Brightness of headlight & 2) Power of Starter ?

Do you mean that your Optima Red Top is giving bright light as the new battery gives ?

Didn't you afraid of sudden battery fail from 7 year old battery ?

I mean 7 year old means battery can be fail at anytime,anywhere . :eek:
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    We have been using AMCO batteries on our M800 as well as Hero Honda Karizma for more than a decade now. AMCO batteries live for 3 years at max. We don't prefer Exide though its the favourite for being the OEM manufacturers for most brands.

I will see if I can get bigger capacity battery whenever it's time for replacement. We have Zen's battery in our M800.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    No bhai, i'm not afraid that the battery might "suddenly" fail. Because batteries don't suddenly fail. They slowly degenerate.

If there is one battery in the world i'd depend on blindfolded it is the Optima Red Top. Too bad it's not available anymore, else i would've put one in the Linea also. :)

You can't beat the Optima at starting power. It is immense. Even for a 7 year old battery.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Is there kind of any technical configurations/specifications we should check, if we want to change to some other manufacture.
  9. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nopes, not much. 12V is what is standard. Maybe you can check the maximum current that can be drawn from the battery which I think is not mentioned. Otherwise, you can go for any battery that fits the space IMO.

Batteries are rated as, e.g. 12V 50Ah. The latter is of significance.

Higher the charge stored (Ah rating), the better. The stock battery is 50Ah. I will try to see if something about 60Ah can be put in the space for the battery.
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yes ! You can install 60 Ah battery in the present battery bracket.

But you can't install battery of 65 Ah of Maruti Swift DDiS because of small battery bracket of GP.