1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Battery upgrade

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by amolmane, Oct 22, 2010.

1. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @nkapoor777 what was the battery voltage while car was cranking?
    If the error dis-appears after starting of car then 100% it is battery problem.
  2. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I bought my Punto Emo Pk in Dec 09. The car was manufactured in Jul 09. The OEM battery (Exide 50 DIN) was dated Jun 09. So, in my assessment, the battery was over three and a half years old. Though the battery was cranking effortlessly, with no other battery related problem, I thought that a replacement was in order.

Based on my experience, I was convinced that the minimum AH required was 50; upto 60 was permissible, though it might be an overkill with my kind of usage - no 'heavy drain' accessories, and not much of night driving. I was also keen on a battery that had a 60 month warranty.

What my "research" threw up is that there are only three batteries that had 60 month warranty in the 50 to 60 AH category - Exide Matrix 50 DIN, SF Supersonic 50 DIN, and TATA 60 DIN. (This list could be updated in case anyone has any additional info). The TATA battery was interesting in that it was offering a 36 + 24 month warranty, unlike the others which offered 30 + 30 month warranty.

Surprisingly, none of the many dealers in NCR that I contacted had the SF Supersonic, or the TATA battery in stock. Exide Matrix was available, but I was not too keen on it because I had read a few reports that there had been cases when the electrolyte had evaporated, and since it was a"fully sealed" battery, topping up was not an option. Also, I felt that this battery was a bit overpriced.

So, I went for the next best option - Amron Flo 55 DIN with a 48 month warranty. Two dealers in NOIDA quoted Rs 5300/= less Rs 700/= discount for the old battery (Net Rs 4600/=). I finally got the battery from a dealer in Greater NOIDA who charged me Rs 100/= more, but threw in home delivery & fitment. I had checked with BatteryBhai - it was working out to Rs 5050/= net.

During the fitment the guy wanted to throw away the cloth padding around the OEM battery saying that it would not fit the new battery which was bigger. Luckily I checked it; it has an additional velcro pad to cater for a bigger battery. The tab on the battery cradle was removed to cater to the longer battery - I have kept it in my glove compartment, 'just in case'.

Seems OK so far.

Regards
    Johnny
    2 people like this.
  3. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think that padding is provided to protect the battery from heat. What you did is definitely good job. Thanks for sharing it here.
  4. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @mvb4u,

Your previous post about battery sizes & the removable tab was a very useful input - helped me in my decision making. Thanks.

Regards
    Johnny
  5. binaiks

binaiks

Bangalore
    Hello All,

I have a 2009 Grande Punto MJD Emotion variant. We bought it in Dec 2009 (Oct 2009 make). She has done 75500kms till date. Over the past month or so, the battery has been showing signs of dying. During my last service (Last week of October), the SA advised replacing the battery. I am going in for a new battery tomorrow.

The car currently runs with an Exide (Freedom?) 50Ah battery (OEM). Is it advised to replace with a battery of the same rating, or is an upgrade advised. Which brand is suggested? (Going through the posts, I think Amaron is preferred over Exide).

My car is in stock condition - no upgrades were done (except replacing the headlamp bulbs with Philips XtremeVision 60/55W). I do not do much of night drives.

Can anybody suggest a reliable dealer in Bangalore as well? I stay in Bannerghatta Road and work near Chikkabanavara (12kms from Yeshwantpur). So either locations would do.
  6. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Try battery bhai as it is online one, you can get delivery and fitment done at your door steps.

Go for amaron.
  7. binaiks

binaiks

Bangalore
    How is their service? Are they prompt & reliable?
  8. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I don't have personal experience with batterybhai have read somewhere. Our mod. ravi replaced his battery. You can PM him as he is also in Bangalore, he can guide you in a better way.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  10. donzerus

donzerus Timido

Chennai
    @soccerfan,

What's the Ah rating of your Bosch battery? Ah rating and other details are not available on the Bosch website
    How did you manage to negotiate and get a Rs.1000+ discount? Did you exchange your old battery and get a discount for that?