1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Battery upgrade

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by amolmane, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ^^ Excellent service. Within 24 hrs, they will come to your house and fix it in 10-15 minutes.
    For me, the service was even better, as they come in rain. I wanted it on same day, as I was planning for long drive. Also, it was weekday, the guy came at 8PM, on my request.
  2. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

Ravi, Thank you. Asked them to deliver at 5.30PM today. Cost is the same as what you have indicated. Based on your inputs, I have chosen the same Amaron Flo 55AH battery for my Punto as well. Has the battery been performing ok so far?
  3. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Oh yes, its performing excellent.

Even my old battery was not created any problem, but since it was 3+ years and was taking some time to crank, after 2-3 days break, check at service center and they advised to change it. Was planning for a long trip so decided to get it replaced.
  4. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

Thank you Ravi. This forum has been a wealth of information for FIAT owners. Gives me the encouragement to contribute more to this community.
  5. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Ravi: Does the 55ah battery fit properly on the battery plate?
  6. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @nkapoor777

Punto mjd comes factory fitted with 50Ah battery.

Manual says that punto can take a 60 Ah battery.

battery size.JPG

Actually, the battery cradle of the punto is designed to fit a 60Ah battery, but the 50Ah one is fitted with a tab on the cradle to hold it properly. To fit a 60Ah one you need to remove the tab and fit the 60Ah battery. Save, the tab for future use don't throw it away.

Please, have a look at the battery cradle in side you car hood then you can understand better what I am saying.You can see that battery cradle has space left for a bigger battery.

For ready reference I am posting the size of 50 Ah battery and 60 Ah one

DIN 44 TO 50 210(L) X 175 (W) X 190(H) mm

DIN 55 TO 60 243(L) X 175 (W) X 190(H) mm

Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
    4 people like this.
  7. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes it does. The OE battery was smaller in size, and this 55Ah battery took whole space.
    Mine was having 44Ah Exide.
  8. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ^^Mine is a emotion pack variant and came with 50Ah exide. Here, in forum I have seen more 50Ah batteries so, thought that mjd comes with a 50Ah battery. But, it seems that lower variants get lower Ah batteries.

My vehicle is 1yr 6 months old. Battery performance is ok from oem exide. The longest idle period was 14 days and the engine cranked at the first crank.

But, when I change the battery I will get a 60Ah one from not definitely from exide.

Yes, it is good idea to replace battery when it is showing the signs of aging and not to wait till it dies. I regularly check battery water level and top it with distilled water. But, never took the battery for battery shop. Is it necessary to bench charge the battery?
  9. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Thanks Ravi and mvb4u for your replies! I have been getting the "Check Airbag: see handbook" error on MID at cold starts for the last couple of weeks. My take was that the battery was showing its age after 3 yrs and 4 months. Called Exide Batmobile (free checkup service across India) and their guys landed at my doorstep in less than 30 minutes and checked the water level and current and certified it is all fine. I will post the test results later today. But what could be the reason for the MID error? I'm confused!!
  10. anupam00

anupam00

Noida
    nkapoor ji,

its normally battery failure in almost 90% cases.

The exide person will not give you battery weak in a normal case,i have faced similar issue in anubhav's car we got battery replaced.

But in extended warranty even ass would need approval - i hope you know the process,

Actually the car runs very less kms & there is a discharge due to extra accesories.call me when possible,

Would let you know what to do & how,

I hope its fine with mod's I have not posted my introduction,since 2~2.5 years - couldn't resist due to you sir,

I would post my introduction here for sure.

Take care,

Thanks & Regards
    Anupam