1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Battery maintenance and replacement

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Aug 31, 2013.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    We should soon think of creating a What will and will not void your warranty thread and probably have a link automatically generated to it in each and every post :D
    2 people like this.
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    No reason specifically. Just a thought, hence usage of "possibilities". After all the warranty is a big worth right.
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Trust me its not what you think it is and time will tell you that as well. (Although i pray that you never have anything w.r.t warranty coming up)

Ok, we have gone a lot OT . Back to the thread from my end
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Warranty is very tricky. Even vacuum cleaning your car can void warranty. If you reach deep into the driver side foot well while cleaning, manage to suck in a couple of wires, short them and set your car on fire, both your warranty and your insurance will be denied.

Even though there is a bold text saying "this is important" in the write up, if you decide to disconnect the positive terminal first and then short the battery and end up with an arc welded wrench to your body, your warranty will definitely be denied. Heck, if you are talking on the mobile, pull into a fuel station and say "Petrol", your warranty is screwed, considering your drive a 90 HP MJD.

So, if you ask me, except filling the correct fuel and driving, anything else can void your warranty.

Rajan
    3 people like this.
  5. chandu.paladugu

chandu.paladugu Timido

Bangalore
    Hi,
    Never use grease for battery terminals as it will reduce the connectivity with the terminals.

Using petroleum based jelly like ( vasilene) is suggested by battery manufacturers. There is a special battery gel available which looks very much like vasilene which is still better for this application..

Hope this piece of info is useful.

Cheers,
    Chandu

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 4
    2 people like this.
  6. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi ALL,

Please let me know what to check for Battery condition. My car is now 2 yrs old , done 33000Kms and till date i don't have any issue with battery (touchwood :) )
    , completed 3rd servicing, No start up problem and also no differences in the brightness of lights when i revv the accelerator.

DO let me know if my battery is good enough to go more or it will die anytime or heart attack (totaled) :)
  7. Sam

Sam Amatore

Mumbai
    Get the electrolyte level checked on each cell (open those red screws things on the battery). Top up with distilled water if needed (you can get the same from battery shop)

Get a voltmeter and connect across the -ve and +ve terminals. Check the reading when engine is not running and note it down. Now crank the engine and while its cranking note down the reading. Now compare these readings with the reference chart and you can decide the fate of the battery!!!

BTW, all the above can be done either for free or minimal charge at any battery shop
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Don't worry. You've got another year+ at the bare minimum.
  9. Crazy_Eddy

Crazy_Eddy Novizio

Chennai
    Two questions :-
    1. Does a gap form in that area between the 2 green arrows when you open the plastic lever? The A.S.S. has applied some sort of blue paint on the terminals to protect from corrosion and I'm not seeing a gap here - so not sure if the paint is holding it together or that area is joined.
    2. Why does fiat have a plastic hex nut in the blue circled area? Every battery mechanic who sees this attempts to open it with a spanner, then obviously ends up shearing that puny plastic head some more, looks perplexed and then someone has to point out that pulling the lever next to it is the way to actually disconnect that terminal.

Thanks in advance :)