1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Battery Issues

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by sajujana, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    How old is your battery?
    Defective alternator might have caused battery dry by now. I think get battery replaced if its more than 2-3 years old, and if symptoms remain, unfortunately you have to visit FASC.
  2. Maxtor

Maxtor Amatore

New Delhi
    Battery was replaced by a Tata-Fiat workshop and I was given a new battery in October 2011. I thought the battery would run for at least 3-4 years but the battery guy said that parts inside the battery become faulty and it is a matter of luck. I think the only way to make sure that it is not an alternator issue is to put another battery and test it for a day or two.

On the other hand I saw a good discount at Battery Bhai dot com today and Amaron battery is available at Rs 3600(with old battery buyback) which is not bad. My battery is almost 3 years old anyway so I can buy another battery for the sake of replacing the old one.
  3. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Recently my Punto MJD75 (10 months old,ODO 11k) battery (DIN50) got discharged being stood idle for a week.
    saw the voltage to be 10.6volts and couldn't crank.

Recharged it and was back to life, observed all values seemed to be ok for that moment/day

Observation @ battery terminals (Multimeter)

Ignition off - 12.6V
    Cranking - 10.7V
    Idling/slight acceleration - 13.8v to 14.2V (Alternator is doing its job)
    Engine off- 12.7v(12.65 after 5mins)

While engine was running I switched on most of the equipment (Head lights, Stereo, A/C..etc)
    voltage drop was with in its limits and back to normal when turned these off.

But had a doubt regarding this surprise battery discharge for a 10 months old car.

Decided to daily observe the voltage ,kept the car in parking.
    voltage was dropping gradually, with in 3 days it came down to 12.3V

Initially thought it could be the battery issue and removed the negative terminal ,to my surprise the drop stopped to a great extent.

Did a Parasitic drain test and observed the drain/leak to be 250mA
    Can any one suggest if this is normal for Punto/Linea to have a leak of 250mA ( I read online ,such drain can go up to 50mA max)

I got no power hungry or aftermarket things installed, every thing is in stock state.

I am planning to check the cause for this power drain/leak.
    Appreciate if forum members can suggest where to look/start and share their similar experiences.This will help me check/diagnosis in a order, instead of checking every where.
  4. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @Maddy79 Parasitic drain of 250mA is huge and it will for sure kill the battery. When you have the multimeter connected for measuring parasitic drain, pull the fuses/relays one by one from the fuse box and figure out which one stops the leakage. From the owners manual figure out which circuit that fuse/relay corresponds to. That circuit is the culprit which needs further investigation. If it is a relay which stops leakage then probably relay has developed a permanent connection (relays have tendency to get short circuited) which needs replacement.
    asimpleson and Maddy79 like this.
  5. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Ravi
    Was determined today to identify the cause.
    Guess yesterday I didn't observe the battery drain for a good amount of time.
    So, as soon as I connected multimeter, it showed 250mA for 30 seconds and dropped to 10mA, after 30mins was close to Zero (less than 10mA).

Repeated this thrice and it showed same results every time at the end of 30mins.
    For every event/action in the car (eg: opening the door or boot is consumes 500mA aprox. and drops to Zero(less than 10mA) with in 30mins

Recharged battery to its full ,got to see if it still drops voltage.
    Based on it , will take a call on visiting FASS or any good Automobile Electrician.
  6. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    From past 15-20 days i have been facing issue with Battery drain. Last month while i was at my in-laws place, my Linea was idle for 5 days and on 6th day when i went to start the car, got to know the battery has gone dead. Called up RSA and got the car jump started, service was awesome fast even though i was stuck at Palghar. Again today observed same issue as my car was again idle for almost a week, called up RSA and got the baby jump started. I surely think there must be leakage somewhere and hence planning to take my Optimus Prime to Pandit for diagnosis. BTW for how long can battery stay alive if car is kept idle?
  7. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    At least for a month. It is advised to disconnect battery negative terminal if you are leaving car idle for longer than a month.
  8. carl_jhonson

carl_jhonson Amatore

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I left my car idle for 6 days. Seventh day not even the remote unlock worked. Had to jump start the car. I was advised by the person from FASS to start the car and keep running in idle for sometime once in 3 days. I had left the car idle for about a month before and nothing happened. Is it normal for a car battery to drain completely in 6 days or is this because of a defective battery?

Car is six months old. 5k service done 2 months ago and battery should have been checked at that time.
  9. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    @carl_jhonson I had experience of both the extremes. Once had left my car unattended for almost 2 weeks and no issues with battery. Last year during Apr-May period I had experience battery drain issue is quick succession. Since then everything was okay and all of sudden again in Feb 2016, I had to leave my car unattended for 5 days and boom, battery is again dead.

During earlier instance had got the car checked for battery charge leakage from Pandits but nothing came out. So now as a practice I start car atleast once in 3 days if I plan to keep car idle for long.
  10. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    Definitely some issue. Either the battery is getting discharged continually or the alternator is not charging up the battery. I had similar issue in my bike and alternator (or whatever they call in bike) was culprit.

Car at my home town, stay idle for 15-20 days (and has been under same pattern for last 5 years). No issue(s) ever in starting.