1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Battery Issues

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by sajujana, Feb 19, 2012.

1. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    Any update on the battery draining problem? I sure hope after fixing the issue they can refit things correctly.
  2. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    Hi RKRK, any update on the problem? I hope it is been addressed and your car is fine now.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    I simply hate people posting on the forums and then vanishing without knowing the resolution. This has 2 effects.

1. Tarnishes the brand
    2. Does not add value addition to the knowledge of other owners.

No offense meant to the thread owner, but we will be very thankful to you if you let us know the outcome.
  4. May be some FIAT representative should give update on all such issues?
  5. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Why now a days few of members are getting battery trouble? Don't know but yesterday my battery got drained so today I took it to the Exide battery dealer to charge it.
    First his reaction was like;
    Sir the batter is old, out of warranty. I said the battery came with the car & the car is one & half year old. So he start arguing about the warranty.
    I said, boss I have came here to charge the battery not for the warranty so just let me know the gravity & the charging condition of the battery.
    So he said ok on that & asked me to call him by evening 7.30 PM

I will let you know about the battery condition is good or bad after having finishing conversation with him.

BTW:
    Called Millennium Drive for the assistance and the response from Oblesh was will call you in 10 min.
    So I called Kedar, as not able to unpack the battery from the strap. He helped me by giving Ravi's number & Roadside assistance. Thanks a lot Kedar for the kind help :)

When I was calling Ravi's number, one miracle happened. Oblesh called me back & told me the spanner numbers 13 & 11 are required for the removal of the battery & the location of the bolt too. :)
  6. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Update from the Batterywala:

1. The battery is older than car. MFD of battery is July 2010 & Purchase of the car is Oct 2011
    2. The battery needs to be changed as it's nearing to 3 year mark.

Question:
    How FIAT is using the older batteries in the newer cars?

As per warranty also I can't claim for the battery replacement as the date of purchase has crossed 15 months mark.
    The clause for warranty is mentioned for OEM fitment is as;

12 months from the date of sale & 15 months from month of manufacture of battery whichever is earlier.

In my case; my car will be 15 months old from the date of purchase is 20th of this month. But the manufactures date has already crossed the date of expiry :(

I think we need to add this point in our PDI checklist so that the new FIAT buyer should ask for the latest battery not the old battery.

This can be identified by the MFG code : 2J03 means it's July 2010 like this.

In this scenario I can't claim at all for battery replacement. So I need to opt for a new battery.

That's very disgusting from FIAT. I'm really disappointed by my experience. :(
    1 person likes this.
  7. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    We are seeing lot of issues with the Fiat's Batteries now.
    Can we have a preventive maintenance thread for batteries (to extend battery life as far as possible??).
    Like driving styles, usage during peak load etc..
    I read somewhere in TFI that engine starting with AC on can put too much load on battery?
  8. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    This can be be one reason for damaging battery. Also starting the engine with music system with amp & sub also tends to weaken the battery life.

But what if your car's battery is older than your car? In fact the expired battery. We are not checking this during the PDI.

The normal battery life in ideal condition is max 3 years. I have experienced the same with my earlier cars.

So for each service I used to check the gravity of the each cell of the battery.

We can highlight this in the PDI so that the new buyer will ask for the latest battery instead of the old battery.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    A car should be able to sit parked for at least a month without the battery dying, unless it’s a higher-end car with plenty of power-hungry gadgets and computers. For BMWs and some Mercedes, it’s possible for a battery to die in two weeks. That shouldn’t be as much of an issue with a FIAT. Battery life is tough to predict – it depends on the age of the battery, the climate and how often you drive. I did 77 K Kms on my Palio in 55 months on the OE Exide battery and she always started on the first crank, even after being kept idle for 3 months, during a trip to the US.

Batteries produce electricity through an electro-chemical reaction – in most car batteries, electricity is produced as electrons flow from the lead oxide anode to the metallic lead cathode, through a solution of sulphuric acid. That reaction keeps happening, but more slowly, when the battery isn’t being used. That’s why batteries lose their charges as they sit.

If the battery is connected to your car, it drains even faster because your car sucks power even when parked – especially if it has an alarm system, on-board computers and memories for seat positions and radio and climate control settings. How long will it take to drain depends on the age of the battery, the climate (heat speeds up the process) and how often you drive. The reaction is reversible, to a point, so when a current is applied to the battery, it regains its charge. That’s what the alternator does – it maintains the battery’s charge and it produces extra juice to power the lights, radio and all the other electrical gadgets in the car.

The best thing to do to keep your battery charged is to drive the car on a regular basis - every three to four days . It needs to be driven and not idled. That means driving at least 10 km at a time, and longer in colder climates, if you are using the heater, rear defroster and heated seats – they draw a lot of power, which means less power will be available to recharge the battery. The vehicle’s alternator or generator is made to maintain the battery and not charge it back up once it is low. So, if the vehicle is left for long periods, this can put unneeded stress on that system. If you’re not going to be driving that often, just idling the car will do your battery more harm than good. Starting the engine draws more current, than what idling the car for 15 minutes might put back. If you’re idling only for 15 to 20 minutes, the battery never truly gets recharged. So each time you start and leave it to idle, the charge will get lower and lower. Even if you’re driving every day, but only for short trips, you’re shortening the life of your battery because it never fully recharges. Realistically, you have to be in excess of 1,000 rpm before it starts charging. We used to see batteries last five to seven years, but now that’s dropping to three to five years. That’s because fewer people are making those long commutes that give the system a better chance to do its job properly.
    So how do you prevent the battery from dying? If the car is going to be stored and won’t be used at all for a few months, you could disconnect the battery negative cable. That will stop the car’s electrical system from drawing power from the battery.

I think we need to start a poll on peoples' car usage and see if these battery issues are related to the car being not used much, causing the battery to drain and never get fully charged.

Rajan
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    4 people like this.
  10. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    Firstly the batteries provided by Fiat are very small in size compared to other manufacture. For example Swift DDIS comes with 65amp battery where as Punto/Linea Mjd comes with 50amp battery.
    Reason is cost saving and if we add a bigger capacity battery the life of the battery will increase a bit as we can use a music system with amp & sub.

Always start the car with A/c, lights and other electrical components switched off. For a diesel car always start the car with clutch fully pressed. The reason is Diesel cars dont use selfmotor to start the vehicle as petrols and by pressing the clutch you are disabling the gearbox from the engine so that the load on the battery is less.