1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Battery Issues

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by sajujana, Feb 19, 2012.

1. sajujana

sajujana

If anyone of you has come across the following problem then please, please help me out. I bought a new Linea T Jet Plus in the month of Nov, 2011. From day 1 problem started, I never thought that it could take an ugly turn. Day 1 of the delivery, they had to jump start the car. When I asked them the reason, they gave me a naïve reason that the car interior lights were left on a day prior to the delivery. In the excitement to bring the car home, I didn’t care that much. After 3 weeks, one fine morning I find that the car is not car cranking at all, the reason the battery got completely drained out. I had not used the car for last 4-5 days. Emergency service team came and jump started the car.
    After few weeks again when the car was rested for close to a week, the same problem occurred. I reported the issue to big shots at fiat etc. They took my car, promised a solution to the issue. Kept the car for few days, said the issue was with battery and replaced the battery. I thought that things would have got resolved finally, when today again I find that my car is not cranking. Again I had not used the car for 7-8 days. Why its happening with Liena? Is this the fate of a new car. I had read somewhere that this could be because of AC relay issues. Even when the car is off the battery leaks because of some wiring/circuit problems. The idiots at the service center have no clue on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
  2. abhinit90

abhinit90 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    Even I, sometimes, do not use the car for about a week, and it's all going smooth.

The one thing that I take care of is to not use the car's battery for a longer time period.

Like do you use the fan/music system or lights while the car is switched off, or do you turn it off at every intersection.

I really don't have an idea and It shouldn't happen.

Hope the issue gets resolved asap.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    dont worry. get all the relays checked. Mainly i am suspecting the AC compressor relay. its very simple to diagnosis at home too. just remove the AC relay overnight and check yourself.

the AC relay is in the fuse box inside the engine bay on right side. when you remove the black cover look inside the cover. they have written clearly which fuse is what and which relay belongs to AC
    1 person likes this.
  4. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    This is not a generally prevalent problem. I have left my car for even 3 weeks with no issues ever. And I use it like a regular car - don't switch off the music at signals or even when I am waiting in the car for 15-30mins (not very often).
    There should be some electrical leak somewhere.
  5. sajujana

sajujana

Thanks all for the response. After the car is turned off I double check if anything is running especially after the first instance since this issue happened. I cross check if things such as the radio is left on. I don’t have any extra accessories which I got fitted except a reverse camera which was given as a complement by the showroom. If that could be the culprit I don’t know. I came across the AC Relay thing on some other thread too, I have communicated this point to the service engineers. Let’s see if they take this into account. The problem with them is they go by the info thrown out by some scanner. Now what I am not sure about is will the car when hooked onto the scanner actually list down such issues, because the issue is happening when the car is off.

Also, I was a bit surprised to hear them discussing “was my car parked in a place where heavy duty electric lines run directly above it, or is there a transformer or a generator close by”. They said even these factors could drain out a battery. But that is also not the case here. Anyways, I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012
  6. Maxtor

Maxtor Amatore

New Delhi
  7. sajujana

sajujana

Thanks Maxtor for sharing your experience. I am in your shoes now, so i can very much understand what you have been through. I am praying that it turns out to be the A/C relay issue atleast they will be able to resolve it. Else they will again be groping in the dark and we'll be back to square one. The Fiat team should have their ears wide open, this doesnt seem to be an isolated issue. I came across the battery drain out issue being posted in various forums by the linea owners. Seems to be more of a design issue. Since there's no established channel, not sure how this could be taken to the Fiat Engg. team. Anyways i am in touch with the customer support manager and have asked him to take up this issue with the fiat engg. team. I am not sure if that would be fruitful but atleast I thought I'll give it a try.
  8. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Oh my, this thought passed my mind just yesterday. I had parked my car for about 9 days now. Just checked starting the car and first crank, came live. Hopefully no problems with my car (Feb 2011 model)
  9. xplorauto

xplorauto

Bangalore
    De Ja Vu...with my own T-Jet+ within 2 months of delivery. It was a faulty stock battery. Pulled a few strings at the right places and got it replaced with an Exide Matrix for free. However, that would just be kept aside as stand-by now. I have got myself an Optima Yellow-Top (the Rolls-Royce of car batteries) deep discharge battery for the T-Jet......step-1 for a high end ICE install completed
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    My friend (TFI'ian pdranjith) has faced the same battery issue in a 2 weeks old car. The battery was replaced under warranty for him.