1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Battery Draining rapidly, AC not working

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sreedhara_bj, Jan 4, 2015.

1. sreedhara_bj

sreedhara_bj Amatore

Hi all,

My car's battery getting fully drained in about 4-5 hrs. Voltmeter reading will be less than 9 within 2 hrs , so my engine won't start. Battery is brand new, only 3 months old. There is a constant discharge of 3amps as per voltmeter reading. If I disconnect -ve terminal, everything is fine, there is no leakage in the battery .

Whenever -ve terminal is connected, alternator makes "click" sound, as if it is starting the motor. My assumption is ECU behaving abnormally. I didn't observe any electrical instruments/lights malfunction during the run, so i'm not suspecting any battery issue here.

2 days before this incident happened, AC was shutting off intermittently while on the run. If I put it to blower, it was behaving as if its in #1 position. Next day morning everything back to normal . But issue re-occurred after 2-3 hrs of driving. Now AC is not at all working. Coolant is at MAX position (topped it up 15 months before). Whenever it works, it was chilling, even at RED position and blower at #1 :(

When AC was misbehaving, there is a slight change in the engine sound. I checked all the fluids, they are at their max. Instrument cluster not showing any alarms.

We had a ~1700 kms of year end trip including GOA. This incident happened for last 600 kms or so(from my in-laws place and my native, so no party spoiler :) ). I came back to Bangalore from my native (400 kms) without AC and a slight different engine sound. When I stopped for the breakfast, I disconnected the -ve terminal. Also during hard-breaking, vehicle is shaking a bit, front discs making buzzzzzz sound.

This week I'm giving my car for 5th service. It had run 33.5k KMS. I will be completing 5th year by March.

Please suggest me what could have gone wrong here, and what-all I have to say to service guy. Definitely I will be asking for ECU re-flash.

BTW - mine is 1.4 Dynamic 2010 model.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    This is not an ECU problem. It looks like an AC clutch relay issue or other relay within the circuit. If engaged due to fault this could lead to quick battery drain. The problem is easily solvable.

Very good thinking on your part disconnecting the -ve on your battery. Will also save the battery health from damage due to getting critically low continuously. Continue with this practice till car goes to FASC. Dont switch on/off the AC buttons meanwhile.
  3. sreedhara_bj

sreedhara_bj Amatore

Thanks for the reply, other relay within the circuit - can it be Headlight relay (100/90 i'm using) ? I have Philips relay connected.
  4. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
  5. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
  6. sreedhara_bj

sreedhara_bj Amatore

Hi Ravi, yes that was the exact issue :) They replaced the AC relay. Its fine now.

Thanks for pointing out relay position in your thread. That's very useful.
    Actually I thoroughly followed your thread earlier, but when issue happened to me, I could not recollect.