1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Battery drainage and Engine noise query

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by AmeyKhedekar, Feb 15, 2015.

1. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    Dear sir,

This is regarding if Fiat authorized service center does cheat its privileged customers ?

1. I took my car for fiat service center for main problem of why my car battery gets drained if the car is not used for one week. So I took the car for the battery check up.

My car battery used to be dead within 4 days, with the help from our TEAM FIAT members, I got knowledge and it helped me what mistakes I made by keeping lights and music player on, without turning it off .

I had given my car battery to local mechanic to charge it up two months back, for which he took the car battery with him and returned me next day .

The service center advisor says “ the car battery is damaged/broken and it leaks liquid and it needs to be replaced with new battery by paying Rs5000.”

My question is:

(i) I didn’t have a collision, how can the battery get broken? And my parking lot doesn’t have any liquid drains inside my parking lot.

(ii) Did the local mechanic took my new fiat battery to his workshop and fitted my car with his faulty battery ?

2. For my 6 month free service I had given my car for service and told the service advisor to check some strange noise coming from the engine compartment. Like the engine belt is making when it is working. The engine makes strange noise when the engine has been started and after few mins when the car is in motion, the noise disappears.

For which the service advisor said it might be the silencer that might had been damaged. I told him to do the needful. But this work was not been performed then in October 2014. First 6month service.

So now, when I took the car for service center for battery check up, I told the service advisor to look into the strange engine noise from the engine belt.

He told me that the catalytic converter in the engine bay has been damaged from bottom. Maybe because of some stone.

I don’t even know what is catalytic converter in the engine.

The service advisor says to change the part and the part costs Rs50,000. And I should make an insurance claim and pay Rs5000 as I don’t have zero dep insurance.

The strange engine noise is something like this :

My question is:

(i) I never rash drive/ nor mad to drive on stones or broken patches or over the drain holes. So damage from stone can be ruled out.

(ii) Can speed barkers or slopes can damage the catalytic converter ?

Should I do the work in both the above departments like paying for the both the cases or what is your opinion ???
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @AmeyKhedekar, have you been present at the time of diagnosis of these issues? I mean are you sure that some wrong tampering due to mistake by FASC mechanic has not happened. If it is a Fiat provided battery, you should have the battery warranty card which should help; but physically if it wasn't damaged while giving to workshop you should know better.

Also for the Catcon have you seen the exhaust system yourself when car was lifted in workshop?

Which FASC are you referring to Torrid, RS or Balaji..?
    AmeyKhedekar likes this.
  3. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    @asimpleson , i have purchased my car from Torrid Fiat, Andheri east. i go to their own workshop of Torrid fiat in Goregaon east.
    i had given them my car for the work. and the service guy said he will check the matter with the car and will inform me when the car is ready for the delivery.
    i kept my car in the service center in the morning at 11:40AM on saturday and in the evening at 4:30 the service guy smsed me to call him and he told me the story about the catcon and battery.
    i have the warranty cart of exide battery which was given to me by the dealership.
    i dont know if my car was lifted in workshop. i told the service advisor, i will be coming tomorrow monday at the service to physically check, if there is really any damage.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You have a relatively New Linea, you should have gone for Zero Dep, with good IDV. Please make sure you get one for the next renewal. Helps in these situations.

If you are very sure that your car was not damaged at your end, you can request them to see the inspection procedure on their CCTV. If they refuse or if you find something is fishy just ask them to hand over the car and email immediately this matter to Fiat and ask for further assistance on directing the FASC.

Please take a senior person (your dad?) with you if possible.
    AmeyKhedekar likes this.
  5. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I have seen professional battery guys writing down the vehicle number on the battery with a permanent marker to avoid such a swap even by mistake. If the battery guy did not do it then the question is did the guy have wrong intention from the beginning? In any case you can verify whether battery has been swapped. Take out the battery warranty card in the set of documents you got when the car was delivered to you. Battery warranty card has battery serial number on it. Someone has swapped the battery if the serial number stamped on the battery body (top or on one of the sides) does not match the serial number on the warranty card. You may also find the serial number on a sticker on the battery. If the number matches then you can claim warranty from Fiat and they have to change it under warranty. In such cases it is important not to tell the whole story of battery to SA. If you do they have got a chance to play with you. For example if you have told them the story then they can swap the battery and tell you it may have been done by the battery guy!

It is easy to damage some under body components when the car scrapes over the "speed hills" as we encounter many of those unscientific speed hills on our roads. Many such damages may go unnoticed. I have heard of stories when people have busted the oil sump and killed the engine because of speed bump hits.

Seeing is believing. Ask the SA to lift the car and show the catalytic converter damage. You can clearly see it there if it is hit from the bottom side and damaged.

One advise, not just for you, it is for all car owners: There is a saying "Knowledge is power". It is very true in case of dealing with SA for sure. They won't play with you if they realize you know about cars. Therefore it is highly valuable to equip yourself with some basic knowledge about car mechanics. That is the lesson I learnt when I faced many problems with my first car. Then I spent some time on the web to learn about cars. That knowledge helped me to keep my second car ownership experience very smooth. With the idea of passing it on to next generation, now I take my little son with me for routine under-the-hood inspections like battery, coolant level, oil level check, tyre pressure check etc. and other experiments I do with the car so that he learns the fundamentals of car from his childhood.
  6. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    When I had dropped my car at Torrid service center on Saturday morning. the service guy sms-ed me about the broken catcon in the evening . I along with my dad visited the service center in goregaon east, and they showed me the broken part by lifting the car. And it was looking like really it is broken. It was bent and there were 3 cracks at it.

The battery was already in the engine compartment and it wasn’t looking they had removed it to check the fault.

It was like, they had decided what to charge the customer, and the work has to be done accordingly.

When I had called torrid service center if they could send some one to charge my dead battery, they said they cant come, and I need to tow the car to the service. I didn’t wanted to tow my car, so I had called the local garage mechanic, who took away the battery for charging , I had called the mechanic because 4 people in my building call him for any problems or service from him.

Like for eg:

They told me it will be a total Rs10,000 (5+5 thousands) charge for both catcon and easily dying battery work together. The battery compulsorily had to be changed, as it was damaged from front collision I had met with. And the battery is leaking some fluids. And I need to pay for battery Rs5000.

But I pointed out, that I didn’t had any frontal impact. I had just bruised my front bumper to the pillar in my parking lot, and there were few scratches the car has given for previous treatment work . and I didn’t find any leaking liquid in my parking lot.

So they said , they will add some liquid/ acid in the battery and clean it.

And so I need not pay for new battery but catcon job will cost Rs10,000 if insurance is claimed (Rs62000 if insurance is not claimed.)

//

When I was sitting with the service advisor, another service guy came to him and they together were deciding how much to charge a customer.

//

For my 6month first service in oct 14, I felt that my fuel from the tank has been robbed.

My needle was just above the reserve fuel level and the car wasn’t driven by them as I checked and it was same odometer readings for what I had kept in service center and when I took it back , and fuel reserve light has been lit .

When I had kept the car in service center the fuel distance to empty showed 54kms and when I parked my car in my garage and checked my distance to empty showed 18kmpl remaining. For distance from home to service center is 14kms.

saying "Knowledge is power" is indeed true.

But this is our first car. I had always wanted to buy an European midsizer sedan. But lack of knowledge about parts and under the hood, makes life difficult and canot agree whether our own trusted service guys are cheating us or not.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 22, 2015 ---
    many thanks @RaviHegde and @asimpleson
  7. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @AmeyKhedekar Don't trust "distance to empty" number to tell you the truth about how much fuel is left in the tank. Distance to empty depends on the fuel consumption at that instance and therefore it can fluctuate a lot. What you can trust is the fuel gauge needle position. SA should mark the position of the fuel gauge needle on the job card where the fuel gauge picture is printed. If it has changed significantly when you take delivery you have the right to confront the SA about it. Some fuel will be burnt in the service procedure sometimes. For example, if they refill coolant they run the engine until it heats up and coolant circulation starts to ensure there are no air pockets in the coolant pipes. So, some amount of fuel usage is normal. But it should not be a significant amount like several liters.

Don't lose heart. These problems happen sometimes. If the service center is owned and managed by unethical people it will happen in any brand service station. Try to find the service station known for more ethical practices. Learn from what happened this time so that you can be better equipped to handle such things in future. Fight with them when you find something wrong. Repeat the process as long as you own a car!
    AmeyKhedekar likes this.
  8. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    thank you Sir @RaviHegde, you talk so much motivational !:)
  9. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    The work on my car has been done at Torrid service center goregaon east.

I had kept my car for 15 days at the service center, two Saturdays kept at the FASS

The battery work was done by other personnel and catalytic converter by someone else.

Though I feel happy that the catcon part has been done with.

Before the work , I alsed them to show the damaged, for which they lifted the car and showed , there were 3 cracks on the catcon part.

And,

When I took the delivery , I asked them to show the catcon fitted with the new part. But the guys at service center were refusing to show us , by not lifting the car. There were already two lineas lifted up and they said they had 60 cars today in workshop because 3 days check up camp and discounts on parts and labours. We were telling them we are paying so much money ( Rs 44ooo insurance clain and Rs8000 self pocket) they should show us the work.

Seeing the commotion, Mr Mishra, customer manager (as he introduced us) was very helpful and he shouted the service people to show us by lifting the car and also show us the damaged part removed, which they did.

But the battery part ( for which I was charged Rs730) was looking like it is in the car as it is. The service advisor told us that he will clean the battry and add some acid for which I was charged, but the battery was looking as it is. The dust which I saw at the time of delivery was still there , which can make one believe , whether the battery was actually removed ?

PDI before driving out the car , I had a good look at the car, and pointed out, there is a rough patch at the center of the rear bumper. Like both sides smooth surface and in center one foot rough surface, which they polished the bumper and made it smooth. But at home while parking the car, my reverse parking sensors were not working, for which I took the car to service center and they told me that problem was due to a fuse had blown away and after 15mins I drove out of the FASS Torrid.( and I don’t want to believe they had rear ended my car somewhere ).

Mr Mishra was helpful. He asked us if we were happy with the service. And he was also asking the service guys what are the things were performed and also told them to look quickly touch up the uneven surface on the bumper.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 4, 2015 ---
    catcon

2015-02-28(2).jpg

2015-02-28.jpg

2015-02-28(4).jpg
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015