1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Banks Review: Share your experience

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by ramjn, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    I have had accounts in the following banks syndicate bank, Canara bank, Ing vysya bank, IDBI bank, Citi bank, HDFC bank, ICICI bank, Axis bank in my 20 years tenure ever since i started visiting banks with my parents to syndicate bank not so exiciting about the bank though not either bad a normal banking experience with it when i joined my first job my employer opened account in Citibank, prompt service with good customer support visited bank MG road only once for a deposit, Canara bank nothing much to tell here they follow the same age old techniques pass book, pay cheques though some improvements have been made but the updates happen at snails pace, after change in careers i got salary accounts from ICICI which is indeed the best service provider in the segment lot of options in banking deposit, withdraw, inquiry, bill payments, long working hours, privilege banking, hassle free loan processing i got my indica's loan processed by them it was a good experience, i got accounts in Ing vysya for my previous home loan though services are at par the staff are quite good there helped me in closing the account with prompt response and help, IDBI account was opened 3 years back for the home loan,HDFC i have accounts and credit card since 5 years good service and support from them, Axis as my wife works there i had one savings account opened up there too, services are good they are trying best to compete with ICICI and HDFC and other competitors
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I like State Bank of India's secured credit/debit cards with PIN. Whenever the card is swiped at merchant's site/hotel, it will ask for PIN. Only after my entering PIN, the transaction will be processed. I don't find this PIN-based security in case of my Axis Bank credit/debit cards while swiping at merchant's site/hotel.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ravi Sir, the PIN feature is from Maestro (Not from SBI). Any Debit card with Maestro (Not Marster Card), PIN is required. This is there in Citibank as well.
    2 people like this.
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, Ravi. Yes, my SBI cards are of Maestro and Axis Bank cards are of Visa. But, I fail to understand as to why such PIN-based security is not provided for Visa cards. My Axis Bank Priority International Debit Card has my photograph, but does not have PIN-based security; my Axis Bank Platinum Credit Card does not have either.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  5. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Another feature SBI has is the high security code for netbanking transaction. The code is sent to your registered mobile number for each transaction. The transaction is processed only after the code is keyed in. Just login name and password wont allow one to perform a transaction.
    The only or the biggest problem is sometimes (not always) it takes ten minutes for the code SMS to reach your mobile. By then, the session is timed out the code becomes useless!
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    SBI Internet banking option allows to bypass this by typing one's profile password to complete the transaction.
    1 person likes this.
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    This is present in ICICI netbanking also and once i was in a problem due to this. This was because i needed to recharge my airtel datacard online at thirunelly (kerela) using my homestay owner's internet connection because my mobile (reliance) wasn't having any network.
    I also have an HDFC account which I have been using for past 7 years now without any problems. airtel and hdfc had some issues that time so i coudn't use HDFC a/c for the above issue, not sure if the problem between them them still exists.
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I think the issue or problem still exists. Most times when I try to pay my airtel landline bill through HDFC, it used to fail. Sometimes, it wont even go to the HDFC site. I never knew there is an issue between them and used to pay using SBI.
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I am using CITI Card for the last 8 years and it has been completely hassle free for me too. No hidden charges, lot of reminders for payment (email and text), prompt redemption of reward points, etc. Also, Citi online services is the best I have seen so far.

This is some information which I am not aware of, fiatlover (I am yet to visit my SBI Branch :)). Is this facility available at all branches or only at selected branches? And do they give any deposit receipt after you make the cash deposit?

Ravi, I think this facility should be available with most of the banks. I have deposited money through ATM with the UTI Bank way back in 2003.

This is available with Axis Bank too. Customer have 3 options to choose for this additional security while making the transaction. Axis Bank brands that as NetSecure.

- Receive the onetime code in your registered mobile or receive automated call which will read the code.
    - Opt for thw Webpin, wherein a random pin will be generated (thru web) only on a registered computer.
    - Get the hardware device which will create Pins randomly (RSA type device).

Yes. This can be bypassed but only if transaction is below the threshold limit. For me, if I transfer an amount which is greater than 10k, the one time pin is mandatory.
    3 people like this.
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    For Citibank, all ATM has this facility.
    For some other bank's ATM, its few ATMs which does this.
    1 person likes this.