1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bangalore weekend getaways

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by basis, Feb 22, 2013.

1. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore
    Week-end travel within 200 Km radius of Bangalore.

Dear Friends,

I am planning my first outing with my Punto in coming April. Staying in Bangalore for last 7+ years but still donot know much of the surrounding area.

Facts:

1> Start and end point : Bangalore
    2> within 200km from bangalore
    3> want to spend 2-3 days with full family.
    4> Not looking for expensive stay.
    5> Ghat road : NO (as I am still not expert driver)
    6> Want to avoid popular place (OOty, coorg : NO)
    7> Time: Mid-april

If you can guide such place it will be really nice for me.

Thanks for your time and effort in advance.
  2. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Hi Friends,

I could not find a thread for queries and suggestions on Bangalore weekend getaways. So creating one. @Mods, please merge with existing threads if any.

Any views on how good is Kemmanagundi during this time of the year, and also any good recommendation on places to stay (read some good reviews on Valley of Bird Homestay)? I have two kids (one 11 month old and one ~7 years), so is it a good place to visit with kids of this age?

Any recommendation on other places within 250kms of Bangalore for this weekend would also be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance :)
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  3. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Have stayed at Valley of Birds during my last visit. Service was quite good. One has to go @12-15 kms off Chikmagalur road for this. But road conditions were good during my visit. You can refer this thread for details -

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/showthread.php?t=8756

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  4. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks punto_emotion for the response.

Looks like I am too late to start planning for this weekend... There are no rooms available apparently :)
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    i feel it will be little hot during this time of the year in places like kemmanagundi, coorg, wayanad, sakleshpur etc! all these being at height of ~3000-3500 ft. Best time to visit these places is after monsoon when the greenery is breathtaking or during winter.
    For this time, I would say better head to ooty/coonoor at 7000ft! stay little away from the towns. you can find numerous accomodation options depending upon your budget.
    1 person likes this.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I would agree with shams. At this time of the year, most of the places would be hot. Best bet would be Ooty or Kodaikanal.
    1 person likes this.
  7. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks shams and ramjn for the suggestion.

As we had been to Ooty and Kodai a few times, wife wasnt interested in another trip there. Also as most other palces were already booked, we decided to make it just a one day drive and visited Horsley Hills yesterday.

There isn't much to do there, but roads were pretty good for most part and really enjoyed the drive :)
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    snck, hoping to see some pics and read a bit about horsley hills:)

there isn't much info about it on our forum till now..