1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bangalore to Rameshwaram-Dhanushkodi

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Folks,

I am planning to go to Rameshwaram between 12-14 of this month, Appreciate any suggestions on Route/stay and guidance on visit to Dhanushkodi.
    Can I take Punto to Dhanushkodi and hire jeep there to see the place.

As usual I will posting my travelogue once I return.

-Sat
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Please check the travelogue section of the definitive forum. A friend of mine did the trip couple of weeks back. I can put you in touch with him, if you like.

Rajan
  3. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You can drive till MukundharayarChattiram in Punto and from there you can hire tempo/jeep to go Dhanuskodi. In Dhanuskodi you need to walk to see the places - The railway station, church and destroyed buildings.

The timing of your travel please post. Before entering Phambhan, there is Coral reefs you can see. Just half kilometer before phambhan bridge, you can see a park on the right hand side and opposite a shed like a bus stop. There you park on the side and check in the park. They will assist the guy for seeing the coral reefs.

You can check-in chendur hotel on the south gate of the temple itself. And you can find some more decent hotels nearby.

As it is sankaranthi time, there will be crowd.

Route - Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Karur - Dindigul - Madurai - Ramnad (Ramanadhapuram) - Rameshwaram.

There is navagraha theertham on the way. You can visit there too.

Mostly the people visits the theerthams inside the temple and go to Ramar Padham (Ram Padha) but there are few more theerthams outside the temple too (Sugreeva, Lakshmana, Sita, Hanuman, Villundi).

Villundi you can see on the left hand side after crossing the Phambhan bridge.

When you are entering the Rameshwaram after the check post you can see Sita theertham on left and right it is Hanuman theertham (here they sells the floating stone from Ram sethu; if you want to buy you can but I suggest stay away on this) and behind Hanuman theertham it is Lakshman theertham.

Sugreeva theertham is on the way to Ram Padha but it is closed (don't know the reason; I usually just see the theertham as it is closed and go ahead).

If you want to buy pearl and jade (and pearl/jade jewellery) you can bargain and get (you will get cheap too) them.

Hope the Sri Lankan army don't visit Dhanuskodi when you go there... LOL :evilsmile
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. Hey thanks a lot,your post was more definitive :)
    Srilankan Army?? What they have got to do with Dhanushkodi?
  5. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    They actually visits now and then to scare the people there, especially the time of festivals in the church as there will be a lots of people visiting to the festival.

90% of times the news don't go beyond the Madurai edition of Tamil news papers.

Another thing is that to bath in the theerthams inside the temple, they charge Rs.135/- per head (35 goes to temple and 100 goes to the guy who pours the theertham on you). You cannot take bath in the theerthams outside the temple (Lakshman, Hanuman, Sugreeva, Sita).

As to ride to Dhanuskodi you need vehicle of high GC or off-roaders as you will be riding 2-3 KM on the sand.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi Sat ,

You can go through my write up on TFI about my trip to kanyakumari and dhanushkodi.. I think i went sometime in june last year...
    Just leave your place and get to NH-7 and keep driving straight you will reach kanyakumari..
    The roads are superb , simply superb all the way to the tip of india.

You cannot take your car to dhanushkodi because you need a 4x4 for that but jeeps are cheap and abundantly available at rameshwaram so you should have no problems going to dhanushkodi ...
    Roads are just beautiful, enjoy the trip..

As for staying in ...
    I would recommend Tamil nadu hotel (yes the name of the hotel is that) and its a govt of TN initiative so you and you BNW should be very safe there...
    they are not particularly expensive ..
    In Kanyakumari you can stay at the hotel sea view/ sea side (they are right on the banks of vivekananda rock) so travelling around by foot would be very easy..

Check out my FB photos as well (you are anyway on my list) ..

- - - Merged Post - - -

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/street-travel-experience/6326-travelogue-bangalore-kanyakumari-rameshwaram-bangalore.html
  7. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Hey Sat, One suggestion from my side regarding booking of the Jeep for Dhanushkodi.
    Book the Jeep (4X4) from rameshwaram than from the last point (i dont remember the name) where Punto can go. I say this because i have seen lots of attitute and the Jeep drivers near this point charging more especially when they see people come in cars.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    +1 to raj's idea.. book it from rameshwaram itself..
    In fact if you stay in the hotel I've mentioned you will find guys asking if you want to go to dhanushkodi you bargain with them and there only fix the price....
    I've given full details about my stay in my trip .. take a look at it
  9. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The last point is Mukundharayar Chattiram (you can see the name in my reply early. Definitely you will get the jeep for a bit less price.