1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bangalore to Pondicherry route queries

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by rainy, Nov 16, 2014.

1. rainy

rainy Amatore

Bangalore
    Hello,

I'm planning on travelling to Pondicherry sometime in the next 2 weeks or so. I'll be travelling from BLR and wanted to know if the route between Krishnagiri and Pondicherry via Tiruvannamalai is drivable. A couple of years ago, this route was not all that great (putting it mildly). Any changes since then?

Any inputs will be much appreciated!
  2. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The road condition is still very horrible. Do not take the route via Tiruvannamalai. The relaying of the road has stopped due to some political reasons and the dug up places and the partial laid roads are in a real pathetic state. So avoid the Tiruvannamalai-Thindivanam route.
    punto_emotion and Arun David like this.
  3. King CM

King CM Amatore

Bangalore
    Route Via Chittoor - This seems to be a better route to reach pondy. Check it out. One of my colleagues used this route recently and says it is a good one.
    - CM
    Capture1.PNG
    punto_emotion likes this.
  4. svvickky

svvickky Amatore

bangalore
    If you really want to take tiruvannamalai route try this
    BLR -> krishnagiri -> karimangalam-> harur -> thiruvannamali
    The route is scenic and road condition is good though its a state highway. It took me 5 hrs to reach tiruvannamalai with 20 mins breakfast break, I did this route in August.
    The other routes that i would suggest is
    BLR -> SALEM -> villupuram -> pondicherry ( This may be a round about but it has 4 lane highway except the last villupuram to pondicherry stretch)
    BLR - > vellore -> arcot - > tindivanam - > pondicherry ( Frequently used my some of my friends, not sure of road condition, between vellor to tindivanam)
  5. jovi2403

jovi2403 Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I used the first route (BLR -> krishnagiri -> karimangalam-> harur -> thiruvannamalai) last year and it was good.
  6. rainy

rainy Amatore

Bangalore
    Thanks a lot , folks! I knew I could depend on this Team

I'll post my updates once my travel is done.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thiruvannamalai-Tindivanam route is also bad. I would prefer to avoid Thiruvannamalai at any cost.

My route would be Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondy.
    In this route, it is 4 lane from Bangalore to Arcot and from Tindivanam to Pondy.
  8. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    I did the route at Deepawali as follows:

B'luru - Krishnagiri - Vellore (Katpadi) (halted for 2 days) - Kanchipuram - Chengalpat - Tindivanam - Puduchery (as suggested by fellows on this forum - Thnx to them).

Till Vellore, it is 4 and 6 lane (NH4?). From Vellore it is again NH4 for 20-30 km (I guess). Then, as you turn right (Off-NH4) towards Kanchipuram, the road becomes narrow and is not without potholes. Even on NH-4, you come across shallow craters in bulk at few places, but these can be avoided by changing lane. You will face traffic at Kanchipuram & Chengalpat and road is not good at places, so be watchful (day journey is better). After Chengalpat, you join NH45 (turn right to go southward) and then is very good road (4-lane) down to Puduchery, not problem. You leave NH45 at Tndivanam, taking a left turn.

I started from Vellore at ~ 1630 and took ~4 hours to reach Puduchery.

Wish you happy time at Puduchery. Do visit Auroville and Paradise beach.
  9. SOOZ_P

SOOZ_P Regolare

BANGALORE
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Here is the Route suggested by one of my friend traveled last month, 348 KMs
    Pondi1.jpg
  10. rainy

rainy Amatore

Bangalore
    I used the Bangalore - Chittoor - Vellor - Arcot - Cheyyar - Thindivanam - Pondicherry route going out. The road is reasonably good. About 60KM short of Chitoor, the road becomes a 2 track with a lot of truck traffic and not so smooth roads in patches. You need to keep a look out for bumps and some patched over stretches. Once you get into TN, the roads are very good 2 tracks and you can drive quite comfortably. The usual caveats about buses and trucks on this route do apply, but the road itself is quite smooth.

Having said that, I think I would prefer taking the Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Arcot route in future. The route might be longer, but it's much faster. Apart from some construction near Hosur, the road is a well laid 6 track all the way up to Arcot.

Overall, the trip was quite nice. Since I'd been to Pondicherry in the past, there wasn't much planned by the way of "doing". Consequently, no photos either. However, I do promise to paste more photos when I travel next :)

Thanks to all of you who helped out!