1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bangalore to Nepal, route advice needed.

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by theblack, Apr 21, 2013.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi all,
    I"m embarking the longest journey till date and its scheduled to be done in sept-oct for which the planning is almost done.
    I'm requesting people to pour in there advice on current status of the roads in the below mentioned route.

The Route:
    Bangalore -> vizag -> durgapur -> katmandu

Route in detail.

[1]
    I will be taking NH5 to vizag and from there , Vizag -> bubhaneswar -> cuttack -> balasore -> medhinipur -> bankura -> durgapur.

[2]
    Durgapur -> asansol -> dhanbad -> musahari -> motihari -> birganj(Nepal entry point) [Tentative]

Questions and doubts
    1.) From various forums and our very own TFI i've gathered that bubhaneswar to durapur is not really very good.
    Can anyone please update the status of these roads?
    2.) How is the entry point via birganj, how are the roads leading up to birganj or is there a better alternative.?

This is my route
    http://goo.gl/maps/MsiV6

Please let me know
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
    4 people like this.
  2. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    Wow, Wonderful.
    Here is something i prepared for a long pending Sikkim-bhutan trip.
    This may be useful for you at-least for Blr-Vizag leg.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    sham, few points -
    1. If you decided to go via Vizag, route should be -
    Bangalore - > Vizag -> Bhubneswar -> Kolkata -> Durgapur -> Barhi (GQ end) -> Bakhtiyarpur -> Patna -> Muzzaffarpur (Mushari) -> Motihari -> Raxaul -> Birganj (Nepal)
    2. Change the name from Mushari to Muzzaffarpur. Both are same.
    3. There is one shorter route from Balasore to Barhi, via Jamshedpur, but road is bad. Don't take it.
    4. Bankura road is equally bad, forget it. Keep yourself on GQ.
    5. I heard that few KMs road after Muzzafarpur to Birgaj is bad.
    6. If you read my travel route (http://www.teamfiat.co.in/street-travel-experience/8316-back-roots-road-trip-north-bihar.html), same as above till Bakhtiyarpur, you can get some idea.

All the best.
    1 person likes this.
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Give a thought to this route also:
    Bangalore, Karnataka, India to Kathmandu, Nepal - Google Maps

right from bangalore to gorakhpur, you will be on NSEW corridor: Welcome to NHAI#

I am not aware of the road conditions from lakhnadon to gorakhpur, but considering that it is part of NSEW corridor, i expect it to be good. I would say try to find out the road conditions and keep it as an option in case the findings are on a positive side.
    2 people like this.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
  6. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Shams route seems to be better, the worst roads are near Jabalpur - Rewa section. This route should be better.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Ravi, in the route you mentioned Duragapur -> katmandu is roughly 870kms.
    Are the roads there in good shape that I can do it in 1 day.?

NOTE ::All my driving is during day time only. Under unavoidable circumstances only I will be doing a Night drive.
    Please advice
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Thats right Ravi!
    between Hyd- Ngp the road is not so good for around 80-90 kms in stretches but even then Bangalore - Nagpur (1100 kms) is doable in around 15 hrs. Beyond that near to Seoni which is ghat section is a bit bad but not so much!
    The worst part of NH 7 as Ravi pointed out comes between Rewa and Katni which is not part of this route anyways!
  9. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    No way sham.
    Once you divert from Barhi, its 2 lane state highway. I would guess you should target Muzaffarpur from Durgapur in a day.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Ghat section i dont want to undertake on this trip. I'm also told that there is very little RSA (not FIAT's RSA but tea/coffee/restaurants) they are spaced quite far i believe.
    So dont want to risk it.

- - - Merged Post - - -

aye aye!! Not good news that means I need to extract 2 more days of leaves :?