1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bangalore to Munnar (My First Travelogue)

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by hello2anand, Jan 27, 2014.

1. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore - Coimbatore - Valparai - Athirapally - Thrissur - Munnar - Bangalore

Ok....here it comes.......After my car's 4th service, new set of tyres & replacing the OEM HU...We couldn't wait for this trip to attend my cousin's wedding in Thrissur...

15th Jan : BANGALORE to COIMBAORE (via HSR, KRISHNAGIRI, SALEM)
    We started from Electronic City, Bangalore at 6:30 AM sharp...Finished breakfast at Krishnagiri..BTW, the 6 lane stretch between Hosur & Krishnagiri seems to have Progressed very well...I would say it is approx 80% complete with majority of the tasks left pending near Hosur...The stretch from Avinashi to Coimbatore is moving at a Snail’s pace...The last time I took this route was exactly a year back & there isn’t any significant improvement expect for speed breaker sign boards...Reached Coimbatore at 12 PM...Stayed for 2 nights at my grandmother’s place...

17th Jan : COIMBATORE to GURUVAYOOR (via VALPARAI, ATHIRAPALLY, CHALAKUDY bypass, THRISSUR )
    My birthday :)....Started at 8 AM after filling the tank & air...Reached Pollachi at 9ish..Finished our real heavy breakfast at 'Hotel Gowri Krishna' (referred by our Friend)...The food was indeed good...Really enjoyed it...Started for Valparai at 10AM...The road was absolute beauty from Pollachi to Valparai...We didn’t plan to go inside Valparai town & went ahead towards the Sholaiyar Dam route....Reached Sholaiyar Dam at 12 PM & took a warm up break...In the next half hour we reached Mazhakapara check post....From there on, the road was terribly rough & uneven but on the other hand, it was a testing time for my new Primacy 3ST tyres....you cannot exceed 20km/hr on some stretch....We drove on this bumpy road for some one hour till we reached the scenic view of 'Poringalkuthu Reservoir'...halted for 20 min for Some casual photo clicks...Luckily, the next one hour drive to reach Athirapally was very good though, but felt like a big long drive...Reached Athirapally at approx 3:30 PM...Though January was mentioned as a season, the fall was not gushing with water but very moderate....walked to the bottom to get some moist air...Started at approx 6 PM from Athirapally for Guruvayur...with a 20 min break, we reached Guruvayur at 8:30 PM... We have prebooked the Devaswoms 'Panchajanyam Guest House'...It costed Rs 520/- for a 5 bed Non A/c Room..For the money we paid, we room was adequately big & can;t ask for a better room....For booking process, check [www.guruvayurdevaswom.org] - GAJARANI LAKSHMI

18th Jan :
    The next morning, we did AnnaPrasannam [first intake of solid food/rice for infants] ( for our 8 month old baby at the Guruvayur Temple...If anyone need details on this 'AnnaPrasannam' process, drop me a mail, I can help you out)..Finished by 6 AM, then headed for Thrissur for my cousin's wedding...

19th Jan : My cousin's wedding in Thrissur

20th Jan : THRISSUR to MUNNAR (via CHALAKUDDY, ANGAMALLY, PERUMBAVOOR)
    Started from Thrissur at 7 AM...Reached Angamally (Tollroad) for breakfast at 9ish after a 15 min stopover....Started for Munnar at 10 AM and without any break, we reached Munnar town around 1 PM....I should tell you that the road wasn’t great but not as bad as the Mazhakapara stretch... you should easily cover the stretch in 2 and half hours from Angamally...We happened to see some roadwork in progress to clear up the potholes, etc.....I have booked my company Guest house in Munnar (Yelappatty, Munnar) which is another 30 km (one hour drive) from Munnar situated on the way to 'Top station' [a famous tourist spot in Munnar].....believe me, the road from Munnar to Top Station is another hell of a beauty.....You will pass thru KDF, Madupatty Dam, Kundala lake, etc with such a super smooth road....You would see tea estates on with side of the road & again, the drive was terrific...Considering the location, weather & natural beauty, I would rate this stretch as the best I have covered in my whole trip...This is something which you shouldn't miss....finally, reached the guest house at 2 PM...After a small meal, we visited Top station 7km from guest house & was back by 6 PM

21st Jan : Local sightseeing in MUNNAR. Visited, Madupatty Dam, Kundala Lake, Munnar Town

22nd Jan : MUNNAR to BANGALORE (via UDUMALPET, DHARAPURAM, KANGAYAM, PERUNDURAI, SALEM, KRISHNAGIRI )
    I have booked the Guest House till 23rd, but my elder son fell sick & we cannot afford to risk his health by staying in a hill station....We decided to drive off back to BLR on the 22nd......And funnily, somewhere someone said that we shouldn’t return back on the 9th day to our starting place (Bangalore, counting from the 15th Jan) :confused:...It was supposed to take 9 hrs (without break) from Guest House to Bangalore, & by the time I checked the route & direction, it was already 12 PM...I was wondering if I can reach before the start of 9th day (12 AM on 23rd Jan)...Reached Munnar town by 1 PM, did a quick shopping in KDH outlet, finished lunch...& started from Munnar town at 2 PM...The Route from Munnar to Udumalpet was another rough story....The road was very narrow with rough potholes...I did see some roadwork going on some stretches...reached Udumalpet at 4 PM for a 30 min tea break...Took the DHARAPURAM/KANGAYAM route to reach Perundurai....It was just a two lane road but neat, wide & traffic free...Covered the next 110 km in approx two hrs...reached perundurai by 6:30...continued the ride to BLR with a dinner stopover at Thoppur A2B...And at least we reached our home at 10:45 PM (on the 8th day) :evilsmile.....

Overall, clocked approx 1500 km with a mileage of 6.2 l/km which I felt was ok because of ghat sections & keeping my throttle approx at 100 km/hr on plain traffic...Would have been better If my son hadn’t fell sick, but still enjoyed a long ride with my family for close to a week...:)

Will soon upload the pictures...
    5 people like this.
  2. krismask

krismask Amatore

Chennai
    Thanks for the updates on the road conditions, they were helpful. I will be driving to Bangalore and Salem via krishnagiri next month. Hope you had lots of fun driving over the hill routes. Hope your mileage was 16.2 KM/L or am a missing something ? Waiting for some pictures
  3. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore

Right...It was actually 6.2 ltr/100 km...Thanks for pointing that out...

Anand
  4. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    Nice travelogue.
    The intense desire to take your drive on a long trip increases especially when you have new set of tires/new speakers installed/new HU or after routine service.
    When you say "rough story" on the Munnar-Udumalpet road, is it driveable or must avoidable?
    I am planning to go to Munnar from Bangalore on 14th feb.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I recommend doing Munnar-Udumalpet section atleast once as this is easily one of the most beautiful ghat section. Do it even if it is rough and manageable. :)
  6. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore
    It is very much driveable & no need to avoid the route......& yes, you will come across plenty of scenic views....

I was trying to compare the road conditions with Pollachi-Valparai route..The later one was a pleasant ride when compared with the other....

Seems you have chosen a nice date for your trip....Enjoy your ride & your timeout....

Anand
    1 person likes this.
  7. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    :D. But I would be starting late, say 8 PM, on V day and will stay somewhere enroute and continue the journey next day..
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  8. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore
    Enroute to Valparai from Pollachi
    IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1169.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_8214.jpg
    IMG_8216.jpg

View of 'Poringalkuthu Reservoir'
    IMG_8226.jpg

The small hill that scared us, as visible from our Guest House
    :devil
    IMG_8549.jpg
    View from the so called 'Haunted Hill'
    IMG_8493.jpg

Tea Estates as seen enroute to Guest House
    IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_8562.jpg

Our GuestHouse
    20140122_101538.jpg
    IMG_8648.jpg
    20140121_080304.jpg

Flowers from the Guest House garden
    IMG_8597.jpg

IMG_8603.jpg
    IMG_8649.jpg

Madupatty Lake
    IMG_1473.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg

Enroute to TopStation from Madupatty Dam
    IMG_1458.jpg
    IMG_1419.jpg
    IMG_1430.jpg
    IMG_1457.jpg
    20140120_163807.jpg
    8 people like this.
  9. krismask

krismask Amatore

Chennai
    Nice pictures. Is this water fall estate guest house ?
  10. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore
    No..This is Yelapatty Bungalow situated between Madupatty & Top Station.