1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bangalore to Mumbai with 7 month baby

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Vishi, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Vishi

Vishi Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Hi All,

I am planning to drive to Powai, Mumbai from Bangalore this month end with my wife and 7 month baby. I do have a car seat. My questions
    • Is it ok to drive 1000km with a baby?
    • What all should I take care of?
    • What is the best time to leave Bangalore and by what time can I reach Mumbai? Speed will be well governed by my wife. Max may be 100 or 110. Even though she says 80.. :p
    • Good eateries for breakfast, lunch & snacks?
    My drive: Punto 90hp, 34K driven, new Michelin Primacy 3ST tyre. Completed 4th service a month ago.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    There should not be any issue with baby, specially with car seat. Just keep baby, as well as yourself hydrated. Take extra breaks, if needed.
    Bangalore to Mumbai road will not allow to restrict speed to 100 or 110 :). Drice safe.

There is a thread http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/mumbai-bangalore-road-trip.6903/, have a look.

In my view, best time to start is as early in morning you can, before 4AM is better.
  3. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    If the infant gets ample space to move around and good sleeps then journey is not a big trouble.
    Place a small bed on the back seat, covering 1/2 of the seat in such a way that bed starts from the back of front row seat covering the rear seat foot well and going till the end of seat. This will make a big bed for kid to sleep or too play around. Put few small pillows in all 4 corners and its like a make shift cot for kid.

Few things to consider will traveling with kid

1. Dont accelerate or brake hard, as they will not be able to control themselves and would roll.
    2. Dont make sharp turns
    3. Keep a window slightly open for fresh air.
    4. Dont SMOKE inside car.
    5. Keep ample drinking water and a separate bottle of water for wash.
    6. Carry some toys and other stuffs that kid likes. This will keep then busy as well as will make them fill comfortable.
    7. Be careful about the milk that you buy from road side hotels. Ensure its properly boiled in clean vessel.
    8. Dispose diapers in proper dustbins and dont throw it away from moving car.
  4. Kiran_Borra

Kiran_Borra Novizio

Hyderabad
    I did Hyderabad to Wayanad and back (total 2000kms) along with my 3yr old daughter and 8 months old son.
    No issues at all :)

Some things to take care:
    - keep A/C at room temperature and let the external air come inside cabin at regular intervals.

- keep yourselves and the baby hydrated

- my personal experience is that when the kids are asleep I cover more distance/speed in less time :)
  5. Vishi

Vishi Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    @Ravi, @Viny, @Kiran_Borra Thanks a lot for all the tips... Planning to start from Bangalore on this coming Saturday morning 4AM.

Breakfast at Kamat Ranebennur or Ghar Dhabba
    Lunch at MCD Kohlapur

Wanted to know if there are any other good restaurants to have one more break near Satara or Pune?

In case if the journey is too tiring then planning to halt in Satara. For now I have shortlisted Hotel Nivant Resort in Kaas road. Any other suggestions?
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  7. Himanshukumar

Himanshukumar Amatore

BANGALORE
    Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Vishi

I have travelled from Surat to Bangalore couple of months back i.e. almost 1350 KM in 21 Hrs with my wife and Kid. I do not see any issue with your itinerary. If you do not want to get fatigue make sure and adjust AC in such a way that every 15 Mins Fresh air will be circulated in side the cabin . and yes keep yourself hydrated. Try to take 5 minutes break every 2 hrs to just relax your legs.

Have very light food during your journey will help you.
    5u3zEr0 likes this.
  8. acechip

acechip Superiore

Ok, my advice is , 7 months is way too young. I wouldnt take a 7 month baby over 100km unless I know I am going to come back home within a day. If you are stuck with a mechanical problem, your wife wont be able to help because of the baby. If you are stuck with a problem with the baby's health, you cant be too sure of medical help in small towns or even an ambulance on call.
    Not worth it, IMO. This still not the USA.
    ghodlur likes this.
  9. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

in addition to above mentioned points, plz try to travel only during broad daylight. I had a nightmare during my trip from Pune to Sirsi when I had chosen to start in the evening with my 2 months old son last year. and at night it becomes far difficult to sort things out considering family's safety.
    Nice idea given by Viny to create a make shift bed. definitely will keep the baby comfortable. ofcourse the reverse facing seat should be the safest. The NH4 especially in Karnataka is fantastic, you will be able to cruise along nicely.

other options to halt in Satara would be Hotel Maharaja (at Powai naka) and Mahendra Executive (NH4 by pass). Nivant will be excellent should you decide to visit Kaas lake as well.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Nice place to have break: Sai Food Court on RHS of NH 4, 30 km after Kolhapur towards Pune. Good food. Clean loo. Ample parking space. The details are here.

I found a couple of newly opened Vithal Kamats on RHS of NH 4 between Satara and Pune.