1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bangalore to Kodaikanal trip

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Surya, May 2, 2013.

1. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Hi, Road conditions are pretty good from Banaglore -> salem onwards towards madurai via dindigul just after you pass dindigul pay attention to the board to the left which says Kodai and take the service road there on the left without taking the flyover which goes to madurai a few meters past take right turn to the kodai road which is a two lane road i suggest to keep below 100 from here on as the roads are narrow with two lane traffic until upto the kodai ghat. i am sure you will enjoy the ride with family its a beautiful place to visit with kids.. enjoy and drive safely..
  2. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore

ramjn, Any specific reason why you prefer to get down at Dindigul to Kodai Road ?

Kiran, Can you point when exactly you took the route ? 7 hrs seems to be very good. I hope this is excluding the stop overs.

Thanks Surya....BTW, I am not taking my kids for this trip. With that, I dont have to do frequent stops If I end up driving..
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    - The distance from both Kodai Road and Dindigul to Kodai is more or less same. But, you will save some time if you get down at Dindigul.

- You get a better connectivity to Kodai from Dindigul than Kodai Road. There are limited public transport facility from Kodai Road and mostly you will have to rely on the buses running from Madurai. Where as, you get lot of buses starting at Dindigul. Also, if you prefer a private transport, the availability at Dindigul is better. After all Dindigul is a town and Kodai Road is just a small village. :)
    1 person likes this.
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Kiran, thats why i said unless one drives really fast.. i know you drive at moderate speeds but still ;);)

Anand, do not worry about number of hours, drive at speeds you usually drive at. 2 hrs here and there won't make much of a difference. you can tell your family that it will take 7 hrs for convincing them to go by car if required :). thats what i do usually ;);)
    3 people like this.
  5. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    I am not sure where exactly the flyover starts, cause I took it and then took another U turn ahead and while coming back, I took the service road and took a left. But I am pretty sure, that when you reach Dindugal, you have to take a flyover (Dindugal By-pass), that takes a right turn to almost 90 degrees. And after getting down, DON'T take the next flyover and keep left on to the service road. Look out for the board mentioning Kodai and take a right, under the flyover. This is the GST Road (Grand Souther Trunk Road). Look out for the Dindugal - Palani Road which is the junction before the GST road. So be careful and check twice before taking the turn.

The 7 hours journey was including long waiting ques at tolls, a longish lunch break at Hosur, 2 fuel stops, wasting time as I shot over the flyover instead of taking the service road and turning right, under the flyover and being lost a bit in Kodai town for searching the Hotel :). The ghat section which consists of 48kms took 1.5 hr to climb at night. Effectively, I would say it would take 6 hrs all in all from Bangalore to Kodaikanal town. By the time I left Bangalore it was already post 2.00 PM, so if you start early, then you might not find as much traffic that I faced and probably can have your breakfast/lunch at Kodai ;). Good Luck and Drive safe!!

You would have done it in much lesser time for sure, Shams :D
    2 people like this.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    If you are driving, there are 2 routes to reach Kodai.

1. Dindigul-Palani-Kodai
    2. Dindigul-Batlagundu-Kodai

You can try both as the route from Palani to Kodai is more scenic than the regular Batlagundu-Kodai route.
  7. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore
    Finally did the Bangalore - Kodaikanal trip by Car...Started at 4:30 AM on Friday & reached Hotel at 12:30 PM...The driving alone took approx 6 and a half hours excluding the stop over...I took the Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul - Bathlagundu route...Will upload the pics later...

Thanks to everyone for valuable suggestions...Helped me plan my trip a lot....