1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bangalore to Kodaikanal trip

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Surya, May 2, 2013.

1. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Yes ramjn. I will be driving down to Kodai and will be leaving on 14th morning to reach Hyderabad by night. I hope to catchup with you on the Highway and that would be a unique meet.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Also, who ever is going to Kodai at this point of time be prepared for the cold weather at Kodai. In 2011 December, the night time temperature at Kodai dropped to 3-4 degree celcius.
    1 person likes this.
  3. aruncep

aruncep Amatore

Chennai
    That is interesting to know that you are also coming down to Kodai. I booked rooms in Hotel Jai - Have a Pleasant stay at Kodaikanal, India fully trusting the reviews posted in Trip Advisor. Myself and wife from Chennai and my parents and brother & family are coming from Kerala. Will be returning on 13th. Will be glad to meet you too. :). Please PM your cell number, I have PMed mine.

Thanks
    Arun
  4. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Arun, I am not visiting Kodai. N Kiran will be visiting kodai this weekend. You both can probably meet there. :)
  5. aruncep

aruncep Amatore

Chennai
    Yes Ramesh. I wrongly quoted your post. :)
  6. sakartechin

sakartechin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    1 person likes this.
  7. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore
    Surya, Nice post..

I am planning to travel to Kodaikanal between 21st & 23rd of Feb. I'll be travelling from Bangalore.

Though I have booked tickets to go by Train (till Kodai Road & return by Bus), I am giving second thoughts to drive down...We just finished a trip to Valparai and Munnar last month & I am OK driving in the ghat section....

How are the road conditions between Salem Dindigul ? Google Map says 2 hrs & 20 min....Hoping it is true.....I haven;t travelled in this stretch at all....I am ready to drive, if the entire stertch takes approx 8 hrs from BLR to kodaikanal (with a couple of breaks)....Do you think it is achievable ? I have planned to start at 4 AM on 21st Feb from BLR & start around 12 PM from Kodaikanal on the 23rd...I'll be travelling with my wife & hence no frequent breaks are to be need ( compared to travelling with kids :))

Provide your thoughts....
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    If travelling by Train, get down at Dindigul rather than Kodai Road. You get better options to go to Kodai from Dindigul than Kodai Road. I don't know who coined the name 'Kodai Road' for that station. Most people perceive that getting down at 'Kodai Road' is the easiest way to go to Kodai which is not true. :)

Excellent. I am surprised that you are unaware of this. You get wonderful 4 laned NH - 07 from Salem-Namakkal-Dindigul-Madurai-Tirunelveli-Kanyakumari.
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    8 hrs is a difficult ask unless one drives really fast upto dindigul. expect the driving time to be around 10 hrs with normal driving
  10. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    When I did Kodaikanal trip via Bangalore it took me around 7 hrs to reach Kodaikanal. Dindugal can be done in less than 5 hrs from Bangalore.

The route till Hosur is average to bad in comparison to the rest of the route. And from then on the road is good with moderate traffic. Salem will slow you down a bit until you cross it. There are elevated ramps that you need to take but they are crowded as well. When reaching Dindugal, do not take the flyover and instead go under it to take a right turn to go towards Bathlagundu/Kodai. The ghat section road edges are being repaired and you will find the road size brought down. Be careful at the road edges. If you are not comfortable try to drive between the road as much as possible. Do not tail gate another vehicle on ghat section. You might not want unpleasant surprises. I can't recall other details as I am poor at attention when it comes to routes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk