1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bangalore to Kodaikanal trip

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Surya, May 2, 2013.

1. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    It was like reading a book unleash Grande Punto ++ Ver 5.0 on the NH7 and also to the Kodai Ghat, one can get to know the potential of this beast when you drive on those roads.

@punto Emotion: Yes it was crowded but it justifies as May month is peak season.
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    how much time did it take for you to reach there Surya? when did you start/ reach ?
  3. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    10 PM - 8 AM (Thursday/Friday) = Bangalore -> KodaiKanal
    11.30 AM - 9 PM (Saturday) = Kodaikanal -> Bangalore
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    so it did take 10 hrs for you reach as I had guessed :)
  5. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    20130503_130243.jpg 20130503_143313.jpg DSCN0016.jpg DSCN0040.jpg DSCN0057.jpg DSCN0112.jpg DSCN0143.jpg DSCN9995.jpg DSCN9997.jpg DSCN9999.jpg DSCN0115.jpg DSCN0142.jpg DSCN0058.jpg DSCN0097.jpg DSCN0108.jpg DSCN0019.jpg DSCN0022.jpg DSCN0024.jpg DSCN0028.jpg DSCN0038.jpg DSCN0003.jpg DSCN0007.jpg DSCN0014.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

It was Thursday evening 2nd May 2013 we decided to go to Kodaikanal by car. It was a hectic day at office started at 7 PM in the evening reached home, my daughter and wife were not accompanying me, my mother sister and dad were ready I packed my bags as soon as I reached home quickly and had dinner took a short nap and at 9.45 PM left from Banashankari, Bangalore. Sky was clear, roads were empty all geared up for the drive,

Total distance to be covered was 500 Km and following route was taken

Bangalore->Hosur->Krishnagiri->Dharmapuri->Salem->Thoppur->Namakal->Karur->Dindugal->Kodaikanal

At 10:20 PM we reached Hosur road expressway NH7 and started speeding towards Hosur. As we reached end of express way there was huge traffic on either sides long carriage vehicles, trucks, canters, buses lined up in queue moving slowly. It took us quite a lot of time to pass through this road a few kilometers again there was huge traffic with vehicles stopping near the checkpost, after an hour of passing through the roads started getting clearer again. Started zooming again and drove all the way crossing Krishnagiri, Dharmapuri towards salem took couple of breaks in between and kept constant speed of 100 -120 KMPH range. The Drive was continuous it was hot air outside and less or nothing much vehicles on the road. It was around 1.45AM in the morning as I reached Salem city it was already cool outside and myself and punto were enjoying the drive rest fallen asleep. As soon as I reached Salem continued onwards for 2 -4 kms Salem bypass road with 3 big circles coming on the way continued onwards straight after passing the circles you see a sign board on the left showing way towards Coimbatore continued straight for 2 km from there to the next circle and took right turn towards Rasipuram -> Namakkal and continued on to the road 2.15AM all along to pass through Velur -> Karur – Dindugal. Stopped at one of the tolls at 2.45 - 3.45 and took a nap for good 1 hrs refreshed myself and started continuing on the journey there after.

After driving for another 1 hour or so on long stretch passing through the Dindigul stretch continued onwards to Madurai on NH7 it was 5:00 AM in the morning sunrise, after few kilometers a signboard shows to the left as Kodaikanal onwards for few meters onto the bypass service road moving down to the left avoided continuing onto the flyover towards to Madhurai. I stopped over here for coffee break.

Its important to watch for this sign board on the left slow down and connect to the right junction to continue onwards. After starting from there another 2 kms reached a 4 way cross with a sign board on the top mentioning right towards Kodaikanal. After turning right it’s a 2 way road onwards Kodaikanal/Theni road. Now the speed is almost reduced to 50-80 km range as the roads were bad, no dividers, no lights with wide patches and holes on the way. This road is built at a little high range at both sides with no dividers on sides so its advisable to hold the speed, continued on to the road with the traffic on coming. With all the high beams glaring at even the small tempo’s would look like something big is approaching it was difficult enough to negotiate the oncoming traffic at one point i had a sudden jerk with the tar road ending into a rough patchy mud with no road at all. After continuing for an hour on the stretch a small village fork street is reached with a temple on the side of the road with crossover points on both sides. The sign board shows left towards Madurai and right towards Vathlagundu took right here continued onwards 2 Way road after continuing for quite some time on this road a sign board appears to the left showing right towards Kodaikanal and Theni it is important to make sure to stop at this point and take right turn onto a small road heading towards kodai Ghat it is called Kodai Ghat road junction, there is also a Indian Oil petrol pump just before the climbing starts. It important to fill the fuel from this pump as there are no pumps once you start climbing all the way. After turning right here the road becomes narrower after continuing for few kilometers the ongoing vehicles are checked by police and then the accent starts on the hilly roads with milestone showing 57kms to kodai by the time I reached here it was Morning. As I was passing before the hill drive through village i could hear the birds singing from trees churning and village cock giving a wakeup call. Now the excitement starts with slow drives moving towards top of the hill narrow two way roads with big rocks on one side and deep valley on the other side, there are bends and curves every few seconds. you have to guage space and wait for vehicles coming your way as it could be too less space to accomodate a bus on either side. It's the longest ghat drive over the hills i have ever made. Finally i could reach the hotel at 8 AM in the morning. Took rest and short nap at hotel for 1 hour and then prepared for sightseeing. I had booked a taxi for the same. The guy came at 10.30 AM by then we are ready to go. visited coakers walk, kurinji temple, Bear shola falls, Pillar rocks, Telescope house, solar observatory, Dolphins nose, Devils kitchen, Green valley view, silent valley view, silver cascade falls, Goundur falls, Kodai lake and many more places in and around Kodai for the entire day did shopping of Homemade choclates, soveneires, rested for the day. Next day morning left hotel at 12 PM followed the same route on the way back it rained heavily with low breeze and winds all the way reached home at 9 PM in the evening.
    9 people like this.
  6. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Those visiting the town request you all guys to park the car in a safe parking area and opt for a taxi, i took chance and went to Kodai lake parked the car promptly on the other side where parking was allowed by the time i returned this is what happened..

20130504_164827.jpg

When i asked few guys standing near by few cab drivers/police for the damage they told they didn't see it or it was there when you brought it here for parking..
  7. aruncep

aruncep Amatore

Chennai
    Hello Friends
    I am planning to go to Kodaikanal this weekend.
    Can someone tell me a good place to stay? It would be really helpful for me since I am going to visit the place for the first time. :) . Thanks in advance.
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    My recommendations.

JC Residency
    Villa Retreat
    The Carlton
    1 person likes this.
  9. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Hello Arun,

I am visiting Kodaikanal this weekend aswell with my family. Will be starting tomorrow morning and will be staying there till 14th. Even I am visiting this place for the first time and I am trying to find a nice place to stay.
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Oh. Are you driving to Kodai all the way from Hyderabad?

Are you going to return back on 14th morning from Kodai? If so, I can also be spotted on NH45 between Madurai and Chennai on 14th. :)