1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bangalore to Kerala trip in Jan 2013 - Advice needed

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by SoumenPaul, Dec 29, 2012.

1. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Dear TFIans,

After almost 2 years I have planned a road trip to Kerala from Bangalore with my family in my Linea MJD.
    I planned the trip like this -
    I will be starting on Jan 5th morning.

Day 1,2 - Munnar - Stay 2 nights
    Day 3 - Visit Thekkady and drive to Kumarkom
    Day 3,4 - Stay at Kumarkom 2 nights
    Day 5 - Stay in houseboat in Alleppy.
    Day 6,7 - Back to Bangalore via Mysore (meet my relatives).

I have not decided which route to take from Bangalore to Munnar , searched the net and found the below options -

1. Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Dharapuram - Udumalpet - Chinnar - Munnar (460Km)
    2. Bangalore - Kanakapura - Chamrajanagar - Tiruppur - Dharapuram - Udumalpet - Chinnar - Munnar (460Km)
    3. Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Chamrajnagar - Thimbam - Sathy - Coimbatore - Pollachi - Udumalapettai - Munnar (480km)

Please let me know your suggestions on the above if anyone who has driven in the route recently.
    I am mainly concerned about the road condition and safety (though I will be driving in daytime only),
    also if road is good I will definitely prefer a scenic landscape to drive through.

For return Journey From Alleppy, I will probably visit Kochi & Trisshur on the way and then to Mysore on the same day.
    I would appreciate any tip from members on anything which can help me have a great travel experience.

Thanks,
    Soumen
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I suggest this route because it satisfies your requirement!:)
    If you leave early in the morning, say by 4 am, you can comfortably reach Coimbatore for breakfast by 9. The 2-lane NH 209 is good throughout.
    Alappuzha to Kochi is a congested 2-lane NH 47. Drive carefully.
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    like Ravi sir said, route 2 is undoubtedly most scenic but will take little more time and effort as you have to climb the ghats up and down once at dimbam and then again climb at munnar!

if you have not already booked your stay in munnar i would suggest you to check out the kdhp bungalows. some of them are listed here: Kanan Devan Hills Plantations Company Private Limited

you will not forget the experience once you go there!
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    If you want the quickest route to reach Munnar, it has to be Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpet-Munnar. You would get 4 Lane till Perundurai and Beautifully laid 2 Lane SH till Udumalpet. The Udumalpet-Munnar is one of the most scenic route I have driven.

Regarding your Day 3 plan of visiting Thekkady and then to Kumarakom might be hectic. Think about this too.
    1 person likes this.
  5. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks for your suggestion JRavi Sir, whiever route I take I have to start by 4 am thats for sure.

Thanks shams for your suggestions.
    The Kanan Devan Hills Plantations look awesome.
    I have already booked Sterling Munnar.

Thanks for your suggestion ramjn, you are right if I take highway I can reach faster, is the road from Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram is good enough to drive ?

I just want to visit Periyar Lake and go to Kumarkom by afternoon where I have booked a resort.
    I know it will be hectic, however I will get enough relaxation driving the Linea :)
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Yes. That is very well laid 2 lane SH from Perundurai to Udumalpet.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Don't hurry on your trip from Thekkady to Kumarakom; on the Kumily-Kottayam road you will have chances of meeting speedtrap cameras at many of the rare straight stretches(my home's in this route..you're welcome for a coffee :D). and it will be highly recommended that you do the final hour of this trip at night since the town of kottayam(13kms before kumarakom) will be hectic if dealt at peak evening hours, esp as works are in progress on multiple roads in the town and they are in a pathetic shape. Hope you are having a GPS otherwise dealing the turns to get to kumarakam road from Kottayam can be trouble.
    Aleppey Kochi route (NH47, till Aroor) is bad as well; but this road is also notorious for speedtraps.

P.S: Instead of two days stay at Kumarakom, I would hav suggested 1 day at Kumarakom and Two at Aleppey, or probably even a boat trip b/w these two locations through the lagoon. Apart from the resorts there's nothing much to see around @ kumarakom, and Aleppey had more spots to go around and visit.
    1 person likes this.
  8. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    Lot of people have already suggested..so won;t suggest anything special..but will only say Route 2 is best..especially from Chinnar to Munnar...absolutely scenic...!!!
    1 person likes this.
  9. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks all of you for your valuable suggestions.
    All set to go now, starting in another hour, feeling the excitement.
    Yesterday did a speaker upgrade (infinity reference) also for this trip :)
    I will post my travel experience in a post shortly.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Happy holidays...and more importantly...happy riding :)
    1 person likes this.