1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bangalore to Chennai: Which Route?

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by daretodream, Jun 28, 2012.

1. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    I just traveled along the normal Chennai - Vellore - Hosur - Bangalore and it's overall drivable. The stretch from Hosur to Krishnagiri is full of diversions and road conditions aren't good either. From there on few diversions are in place, however the roads are okay with occasional bad patches. The road after Kancheepuram is actually getting worse and it's high time they re-laid it.

If you can let us know which part of Chennai you'll be traveling into we can suggest the best route from there on.
  2. You driving direct to Pondy or halting at Chennai? If halting, which area are you planning to stay? That would help to suggest better route.
  3. riturajmnnit

riturajmnnit Amatore

Bengaluru, India
    We have to halt in chennai for 1-2 days, we are planning to stay around Anna Salai. Please also suggest any hotel (Budget around 2000-2500) and any good beaches on ECR, have heard of copper beach !!
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I recommend Hotel Palmgrove, near Gemini flyover, Kodambakkam High Road, Chennai. As regards to the route, nowadays, I stopped going via Hosur/Krishnagiri in view of road-widening works, which has become painful. I started patronising the NH 4 via Kolar once again. Bangalore to Mulabagilu is a free 4 laned highway. Mulabagilu to Wallajah is a nice 2-laned road. After Wallajah, GQ joins NH 4.
    1 person likes this.
  5. riturajmnnit

riturajmnnit Amatore

Bengaluru, India
    Thank you Ravi sir, my only concern is I being a newbie driver (with city driving experience of 600-700 KMs), will I be comfortable with the 2 lane - undivided road :(
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I'm actually driving again to chennai in 2 weeks.. I saw this route as an alternative but didn't know how bad the regular hosur route was (Until i took it) ..
    is the kolar route longer than the conventional one? .. What can be the estimate time of travel under moderately spirted driving
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Definitely. Drive carefully, especially on the 2-lane and ghat sections at Palamaner. Many times, the over-enthusiastic and over-loaded trucks and buses overtake even when there is a vehicle coming in the opposite direction. In such a situation, go slow and give way for such vehicles to pass.
    Kolar route is shorter than the Hosur/Krishnagiri route by about 25 km.
    Last time, I took 5 hours and 10 minutes from home to home [10 pm to 3:10 am]. Details are here.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks Ravi sir.
    I will take this route next time i'm going
    1 person likes this.
  9. praful

praful

Bangalore
    How many kms are in a bad shape on the Chitoor route vs. the Krishnagiri route?
  10. oncemoredieselpower

oncemoredieselpower Novizio

Bangalore
    I second the recommendation on Hotel Palmgrove. Decent place to stay.

But regarding the route choice, I'd still prefer the Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Chennai route. Just got back from a BLR-Vellore-BLR trip over this weekend. Roads are pretty decent, though there are lot of diversions due to 6 laning work. However, the way diversions have been designed and built make them pretty safe to maintiain 80-100kmph even in the diversions. They are much better to diversions normally in our highways in India, E.g. Mangalore-Udupi-Kundapur stretch.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012