1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bangalore to Chennai: Which Route?

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by daretodream, Jun 28, 2012.

1. daretodream

daretodream Timido

Bangalore
    HSR Layout
    Linea 1.4
    Mods: I searched for this topic but didnt get any thread which was current on the route and road condition. Hence created this thread.

Hi all

I am planning to drive to Chennai for the Weekend.
    I will start from my office and the nearest landmark is ITC Biscuit Factory on Soukya Road.
    The google link of my location is: here
    From here to Chennai, i have the following options:
    1. Hoskote-Kolar-Mulbagal-Palamaner-Chittoor-Ranipet-Kanchipuram-Sriperumbudur

2. Chikka Tirupathi-Bagalur-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Ambur-Vellore-Kandhipuram-Sriperumbudur

3. Whitefield-Varthur-Attibelle-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Ambur-Vellore-Kandhipuram-Sriperumbudur

4. Whitefield-Marthahall-Silkboard-Electronics City-Attibelle-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Ambur-Vellore-Kandhipuram-Sriperumbudur​

As you can see one route option is Chittoor route and all others are Hosur route and I am inclined to do Chittoor route as it is easier for me.

I have not driver ever on these routes ever. I will be starting at around 3-3.30pm.

I will be driving a brand new car, I'm going to be a very conservative driver and run-in the engine.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Go via Hosur if you are a new driver on the highways. You will get 4 lane till Chennai or else I would prefer to go via Hoskote and Kolar.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I would recommend Route 3. All along GQ road.

Chittoor route is also ok, but 4 laning is not complete and lots of diversions.
  4. samurai84

samurai84 Amatore

Bangalore
    I would recommend,
    Whitefield-Varthur-Bagalur-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Ambur-Vellore-Kandhipuram-Sriperumbudur.
  5. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I drove from Bangalore to Chennai on 12 June 2012 via NH 4 Kolar/Chittoor. I preferred Kolar route until 2006 because it was shorter and the Hosur route was longer and comprised many railway level-crossings. Then, my preference was shifted in favour NH 7/46/4 via Hosur because it is 4 lane all the way to Chennai. Nowadays, my preference is again shifted in favour of the former because of 6-laning work in Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore section. Barricades have been erected just adjacent to the tarmac without any shoulder. Deep excavations are located on the other side of the barricades. So, I would go via Kolar for another few years until road-widening works are completed. Another star attraction: only two toll plazas in Kolar route!:)
    3 people like this.
  6. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I too prefer the Kolar route for the same reasons given by Ravi Ji. For me, I would be having only one toll which is Ranipet toll where they charge Rs. 25 for singly entry.
    1 person likes this.
  7. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Kolar route is smooth till Chittor, except ~10-15km from Mulbagala by-pass. No idea on road condition from Chittor as I go towards Tirupathi.
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Road condition from Chittoor to Ranipet is excellent.
  9. jovi2403

jovi2403 Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Sir, any idea on how much distance the KOLAR route would be shorter than the route via HOSUR from Bangalore. Also I am put up in KORAMANGALA which is near to slikboard so will it be wise for me to take the KOLAR route (considering the time to drive in city traffic until HOSKOTE) or HOSUR route to CHENNAI?
    I am planning to drive to Chennai next weekend. And as it wud be my frist time drive in my car to CHENNAI, I need your inputs.
    1 person likes this.
  10. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I may still recommend the Kolar route. That route is not only shorter but you can also save tolls and also the pain of taking the diversions due to 6 laning work with the Hosur route. Kolar route may be 30-40 kms less.