1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bangalore-Mangalore-Kasargod route info

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Praveen Raj Patten, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Hello friends,

I have a trip planned on August 15th morning to Kasargod. Due to heavy rain, road conditions gone bad and I am left with choice of Bangalore-Mangalore-Kasargod instead of my regular option via Madikeri which is closed now. Also I have an option on Bangalore-Mysore-Periyapatana ->Sidapura->Iritty ->Taliparamba-> Kasargod.

Has any one recently driven via Bangalore- Mangalore ? or should I consider the second route.
  2. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Bangalore-Mangalore route is mostly good apart from the ghat section after Sakleshpur where it is not that good but still driveable. After Gundya, it is again excellent all the way to Mangalore.
    Also the bypass work is complete in most parts. Somewhere near Sakleshpur, there is a patch of bad road and every time I see cars broken down as the transition is too sudden from smooth road to potholes. Be careful there.

In the other route option which you have mentioned, Periyapatna to Siddapur has gone bad but rest is good.
    Thulasi (fiatlover) drives through that route to Kasargod normally. He can provide you clear picture on the second option.
  3. In the second route apart from periyapatana-sidapura stretch, roads at srikandapuram-chengalayi also gone bad shape. To avoid that, I have to go via Iritty-Mattannur->Taliparamba which will be full traffic in day time at NH17.
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    I remember reading somewhere on TBHP that sullya-cherkala route is good. unable to locate the thread now. I feel that Periyapatna-> anechekoor checkpost->makkutta->iritty-> will be good option. About 11 kms of bad but manageable road. Rest are quite good.
    If you are taking the mattannur road, you have an option to avoid Kannur town traffic. A little before reaching chovva, there is a road towards right that takes you right to Puthiyatheru/valapattanam. I heard that the road is good. But need to cross check with someone who is familiar with that area. This road is there on Google maps.
  5. At the last moment I made some changes in the route and decided to go via Bangalore-Hassan-Sakaleshpura-Uppinagadi-Puttur-Jalsoor-Kasargod. It took 8 hrs to reach the destination. Road is super through out except the shiradi ghat section. From sakalespura- gundya stretch is gone in bad shape. Still it is easily manageable for a car like Punto.