1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bad steering behavior

Discussion in 'Technical' started by srida, Jun 26, 2012.

1. My cars steering is showing a very bad behaviors off late.

1. The car now pulls to the left when I let go the steering wheel. Left pulling was there from the day 1, but now it is very obvious and too much.
    2. I am unable to set the steering wheel to make the car go straight. If I put the steering wheel straight, the car goes to the left. Tilt the steering slightly to the right, then the cars moves straight, but not for a long time. There is no point at which I could make it go straight. When going on a straight Line, I have to slightly tilt the steering left and right periodically to get the straight line.
    3. The steering has become less responsive, dangerously. I have almost got the steering behavior and feedback to my subconscious mind. When making tight overtaking, just by judging the distance, I would turn the steering and overtake. But now a days, my judgement is going wrong all the time. I have to tilt the steering more than usual. I don't know how to explain but is is not accurate.
    4. Mild vibrations when idling, I notice this mostly in the traffic signals. Previously the Vibes were very mild.

I hope that alignment / balancing has gone wrong. @ 15K second service, the TAFE guys did the alignment and balancing. After the 2nd service itself I felt slightly the steering lost that magical feel but now @ 18K the feel is totally lost.

I am planning to go to the Tyre Store, greems road for checking the wheel balancing and alignment. Should I take it to the TAFE guys and get it done thro them since, in just 3000 KM things have gone wrong, they should get it right again and may be this is not a balancing / alignment problem that the tass guys only should find it out. Please advise guys.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i also had same problem after my 3rd service,here in our place the TASS guys outsource the wheel alignment and balancing works,after driving for more than 20 Kms i found that the car had left drag.i have always faced this issue with steering.and given him nice bad words about the quality of work they do !
    After going back to TASS they have swapped the left and right front tires,still i found the same.then i decided to take it next week again. :( didtn had confidence in them.So now planning to get it done myselves from nice shop at my place.
    My steering wheel has 5 degrees of tilt toward left at this position the car remains staright.

In your case try with doing Wheel alignment.
  3. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Never do alignment or balancing in TASC. Why you guys want them to screw up this also? Get it done from a good tyre shop outside TASC.
  4. I really don't want to get it done from them, but I am not 100 % sure if alignment and balancing is the issue. My friends suspect the steering itself may have some issue so they advised me to get it done in TASS.
  5. sungoa2010

It is always better to get the alignment done at every 5K so get it done outside at a professional place. I think it will be alright. Was there any hit on humps at high speeds recently?
  6. +1 to ^^^^
    by the sound of it, my opinion is skewed to alignment issues...
    and... always better to get the things checked up at the tyre experts... !!!
    A regular alignment and balancing is the key here.. with frequency increasing with the increasing average speed on MID!!!
  7. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

I had exact same problem as ur's..(root cause:tyre change)

I got it rectified outside of TASS...just with alignment & balancing ..it moves in a straight line now :)
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    tyre change,you mean swapping ?
  9. Vinoth

Vinoth Timido

Srida, TASC always say they did balancing/alignment, but they don't. I had similar problem, initially they said it was corrected, but i felt the same issue & then i have asked them the readings of castor/camber/toe-in. then they checked again & told me that it has to be corrected again. Atlast they have corrected & given me the old & new values. It was minor issue, they have adjusted toe-in. And it's working fine.
  10. I took my car to Tyre Store, Greams Road, last Saturday. Got the wheel alignment and balancing done. They did a good job. Impressed ! The owner (i guess) told me a wired thing that day. He said the though the alignment is set to perfect now, only after 500 - 600 KMS I would feel it, till then I may feel some misalignment. I dont understand. Now a new issue has boarded my car. Tune to this thread http://www.teamfiat.co.in/technical/6634-heavy-vibration-inside-car-while-idling.html#post115274