1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bad News! Punto 1.4 Emotion Discontinued.

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by basis, Mar 16, 2011.

1. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore
    Dear Experts,

Today I called for final quotation from Concord and Prerana Motors, Bangalore and got a shook!

Fiat is discontinuing Punto 1.4 Emotion from this month. Is it true? Can anybody confirm? Fiat also confirmed this! :( Only GP 1.4 E (pack) will be there.

They may also add the ABS+EBD ...etc in GP 1.2 E.

Please tell me what should I do? I had finalized to buy GP 1.4 E :( , cannot afford GP 1.4 E+.

My 80% use will be for week-end long drive with max. 5 person. (20% : for emergency perpous only). Not much city Drive.

As GP 1.2 L is only 68 PS ... so should I look for some other car ? (Need the car in July 2011.)

Thanks,
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Is it the sign of FIAT introducing more models in future or are they planning to go with the 1.2 till Emotion Pack and a 1.4 in only Emotion Pack.
  3. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore
    From the discussion with dealers and Fiat it seems a marketing trick.

From April'2011 Fiat will have Punto 1.2 till Emotion Pack and a 1.4 in only Emotion Pack.

Following is not confirmed by Fiat. (Only heard from Concord Motors, Bangalore)

adding the ABS+EBD ...etc in GP 1.2 E or will intro GP 1.3 Emotion pack?

My only concern is as 1.2 has only 68 PS so is it enough to pull the car with 5 person (full load) in the highway? Is it not underpowered?
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hey, I didn't understand the meaning of this statement. ::pP

I think its better to test drive a 1.2 with 5 people and see how it pulls.

I believe that 68BHP or simply Bhp relates to the top speed rather than pulling or acceleration.
    Torque is more important for acceleration.
  5. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    FIAT India website still shows the price for the 1.4 E.
    Either its not updated or 1.4E is very much available.
  6. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore
    I also asked about this.

Fiat Call center told the portal is quite old. Even Palio showing there though discontinued.

They will update this in April.
  7. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    1.2 68 PS is not underpowered car. Max.Torque of 96 NM peaks @2500 RPm such at a low RPM.
    So drivability of 1.2 is more better than 1.4.
    Don't go on PS/BHP figures. As told Paddleshifter 1.2 is has better drivability.

To know defination of torque, take TD with 5 adults. Go at incline.
    Stop the car. Put AC on.In 1st gear release the clutch without pressing throttle.
    1.2 moves easily without any shuddering & knocking.
    What do you want more from such a heavy car & from small 1172 CC engine.
    So if budget is your problem then go for 1.2 fearlessly. I have tested 1.2 twice.

Actually I was also thinking to opt 1.2. But because of petrol price & bad resale value for FIAT petrol car,I choose Multijet. I was die-hard fan of gasoline engine. But when I drove Multijet (First Diesel mill of my life)
    I forgot petrol engine.

In 1.4 max.torque is generated at very high rpm. 114 NM @4500 RPM. So you will have press more throttle to get potential from it. 1.4 motor feels strained in mid-range. Drivability of 1.4 is only on sophasticated express-way. Not on general roads. 1.2 has strong torque character.
  8. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto 1.2

Max. Power (ps@rpm) 68 @ 6000
    Max. Torque (Nm@rpm) 96 @ 2500
    No of Valves 8 V
    Camshaft SOHC

Is this enough?

I mean to say dealer told Fiat might upgrade Punto 1.2 Emotion with ABS+EBD+Driver seat hight adjusting+.............
  9. Basis, do take a TD to see how the 1.2 Punto behaves. Discussion on the forum will give a faint idea but check the reality by taking a TD. I am sure, you wouldn't feel much of a difference.
  10. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore
    Dear Bhai,

Thanks for your detail advise.

Basically I have very poor knowledge about cars. :(

I cannot afford a 1.3 Emotion so thinking about Petrol. Also my daily use will be very very less. I need it for weekend long drive (monthly once) and in case of emergency.

@PaddleShifter, I gave the reply of ur's ! :)

Ok guys, I will take a TD for 1.2 but only after I see that Fiat added ABS, EBD....ect into GP 1.2 Emotion.